Re: [Triplegem] Re: Why MN 123 Is A Fake.

  • Dhanawansa U. Hewage
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2010
      Tripitaka was brought forward  first by mouth to mouth and then there are translations, by different people. Therefore, without comparing a few manuscripts, it is difficult to say whether one particular translation is correct or not or simply parts are missing.

      Then Buddha becamse ill and Buddha compared human body to a sack full of phelgm and so on. At one point, one monk who used to stay most of his time staring at buddha, Buddha's advice to him was there is nothing to see on this body as it is full of those five kinds of phlegm....and so on and Buddha asked to see him though his dhamma.

      Again, trying to think Buddha's birth is nothing supernormal is not right thinking there and it should be as usual as we see or as normal as we hear should not be correct.

      We  need to understand that there are many things in this world we cannot understand, So that we cannot comprehend with our logics.

      That is why we need further development. Spiritual development is mental development which means gaining a developed mind. Mind can do many things. Nirvana is the most developed mind with no hindrances what so ever.

      Buddha has talked about the connection of mind to almost everything.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2010
        "In the adaptability & ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness & freedom". - Buddha

        To: Triplegem@yahoogroups.com

        > I don't think Buddha described the birth as 'pure' and uncontaminted with impurities, it simply says the womb was transparent etc. It made no refernce to whether Buddha's mother body parts are pure or whether Buddha's worldly physical body parts were pure (in the sense that you described). It describes a supernatural phenomena (by our standard) and that is all.

        ???

        http://www.metta. lk/tipitaka/ 2Sutta-Pitaka/ 2Majjhima- Nikaya/Majjhima3 /123-acchariyabb hutta-e.html

        "ânanda, when the one aspiring enlightenment, was born, he was born pure uncontaminated with water in the passage, phlegm, blood or any impurity.

        Why would a Buddha expound on the purity of his acquired body at birth? From top to toe, there is nothing pure about the physical body. Even the skin is considered an unclean thing in the dispensation of a Buddha. This has always been the teaching of all Buddhas. If you still don't get my point, I'll just stop here.

        > If one looks at bible, an entire chapter/book were omitted, let alone few words. There is a western saying that says don't throw the baby out with the bath water :-) However, the path to nibbana does not depend on this sutta and you should follow the path that you find most convincing and comfortable, provided that such path adhere to the 3 basic teaching of Buddha - impermanent, non-self and the ultimate solution lies in Nibbana (which is kind of a state that is one with the univererse).

        We have to look at the possible reasons and motives for the omission. Not all omissions are errors of translation and copying. That is a blanket cover.

        And I don't agree with you that nibbana is "kind of a state that is one with the universe". This view of nibbana is a worldly view, a fettered view.

        Swee Boon

        Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!