Re: [TrinityQuestion] Is the Holy Spirit God?

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 16, 1999
      God is a Holy Spirit !!!!

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 10:35 PM
      Subject: Re: [TrinityQuestion] Is the Holy Spirit God?

      At the risk of being repititious George, Acts 5:3 reads, "But Peter said, Ananis why hath satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Spirit?..."
      Vs 4c says"...thou hast not lied to men, but unto God."

      Is the Bible in error here or is the Holy Spirit God?
      Rick

      George Smith <george_smith92530@ yahoo.com> wrote:
      Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
      Is Jesus speaking of the Holy Spirit here?   If He is then the Holy Spirit couldn't be God.  The Holy Spirit is sent from God  and only speaks what He hears.  If He was God Himself He would already have everything to speak.  This is interesting and I don't fully understand.
      In Christ,  George...

      Rick

      Yeshua Reigns

      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.com

    • nlintz@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2007
        george,
        the Dvar Emet, is the Word of Truth, The Ruach Emet is the Spirit of
        truth , both speak the Will of The Father...the Word while He was on
        earth...The Ruach
        both before Yahshuas incarnation and His or [Her] being sent after
        Yahshua as He [the Word] promised in that verse...they Are all in
        perfect Agreement as Echad ONE...yet there is an order of submission to
        the Father....I do not completely understand it either...ed
      • George Smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2007
          I don't believe it is in error here. It says "He will not speak of
          Himself, but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak". So He
          would be speaking for God and representing Him. If you lie to the one
          speaking for Him you are lying to Him. I do believe that the Holy
          Spirit is the power and the authority of God. Jesus recieved this power
          and authority and He pours it out to us so we can also become children
          of God. I certainly don't believe the Holy Spirit is a third person of
          a trinity. Nobody prays to the Holy Spirit. They pray to the Father
          through the power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit helps and enables
          us to pray and know God and His Son. One more point about the Holy
          Spirit. That questionable verse in Matt. 28 says to baptize "In the
          name of the Father, and the name of the Son, and the name of the Holy
          Spirit." Now we know the name of the Father, and we know the name of
          the Son, but how come there is no name for the Holy Spirit? Why is the
          third Person of the Godhead left out? And why don't He have a thrown
          like The Father and the Son. I think the reason is that the Holy Spirit
          isn't a Person but the Power that proceeds from God.

          In Christ, George...

          --- In TrinityQuestion@yahoogroups.com, Rick OShay <rickoshay4u@...>
          wrote:

          > At the risk of being repititious George, Acts 5:3 reads, "But Peter
          said, Ananis why hath satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy
          Spirit?..."
          > Vs 4c says"...thou hast not lied to men, but unto God."
          >
          > Is the Bible in error here or is the Holy Spirit God?
          > Rick
          > >>>>>
          > George Smith george_smith92530@... wrote:
          > Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide
          you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he
          shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
          > Is Jesus speaking of the Holy Spirit here? If He is then the Holy
          Spirit couldn't be God. The Holy Spirit is sent from God and only speaks
          what He hears. If He was God Himself He would already have everything to
          speak. This is interesting and I don't fully understand.
          > In Christ, George...
          >

          > Rick
          > >>>>>

          > Yeshua Reigns
          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Rick OShay
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 1, 2007
            I'm a simple believer in the Word George,

            The Word says, " Acts 5:3 reads, "But Peter
            said, Ananis why hath satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy
            Spirit?..."
            > Vs 4c says"...thou hast not lied to men, but unto God."
            >
            > Is the Bible in error here or is the Holy Spirit God?
            > Rick

            Your comments were interesting George, but you did not answer the question posed, " Is the Bible in error here or is the Holy Spirit God?

            I understand that you do not believe the Holy Spirit is God, then can I conclude that, since you don't,  that the Bible is in error here?  I don't think you can have it both ways, but that is just my opinion.

            Also, since you think the verse in Matt 28 is questionable then I have to believe you once again believe the Bible is in error.

            However, Baptising in the name of Father (not named) Son (not named) and Holy Spirit (that is His Name) a moot point. The Fathers name is YHVH, The Sons name is Yashua. Thus all three are the Authority whereby The Bible says we should Baptise. Now if you are going to say we should Baptise in Jesus name, I wont disagree with you as that is what the Bible says and I believe the Bible as we have it. So what does it mean to Baptise in the name of Jesus? It means to exercise the Authoity of Yahshua the same as a Cop exercises the authority of the law when he says,"stop in the name of the law". It's just that simple if one believes the Bible.

            HTH,

            wrote:

            > At the risk of being repititious George, Acts 5:3 reads, "But Peter
            said, Ananis why hath satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy
            Spirit?..."
            > Vs 4c says"...thou hast not lied to men, but unto God."
            >
            > Is the Bible in error here or is the Holy Spirit God?
            > Rick
            > >>>>>
            > George Smith george_smith92530@ ... wrote:
            > Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide
            you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he
            shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
            > Is Jesus speaking of the Holy Spirit here? If He is then the Holy
            Spirit couldn't be God. The Holy Spirit is sent from God and only speaks
            what He hears. If He was God Himself He would already have everything to
            speak. This is interesting and I don't fully understand.
            > In Christ, George...
            >

            > Rick
            > >>>>>

            > Yeshua Reigns
            > Do You Yahoo!?
            > http://mail. yahoo.com

            Rick

            Yeshua Reigns

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Dorothy
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 1, 2007
              George & Grey,

              I was in a 6 month debate with a "oneness" Pentecostal and I'm slowly working my way through that discussion.  Here is one link in support of the trinity that I found quite comprehensive.

              I have another I'm really searching for that compares the attributes and characteristics of all three.  I haven't run across it yet, but will forward it when I come across it.

              There was an awful lot of argument out of the Psalms that he couldn't refute from his position, but those notes are sparce.  I changed e-mail providers and lost most of that.  I'm finding bits and pieces though.  I'll put some of it together for consideration also.  I did notice that this article carried some of that argument.

              Dorothy
            • Rick OShay

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 1, 2007
                  Hi George, I think it does get confusing, because
                  translators chose to translate it as "he" when it
                  would be just as correct--if not more accurate--to
                  translate it as "it." We must bear in mind that
                  although we refer to God as "He" and "Him" and "His",
                  we also know that God is not a "male" in the same
                  sense of having gender like humans and animals do.
                  God is The Eternal Spirit.

                  In Christ,
                  Tim H

                  > George wrote:
                  >
                  > Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of Truth, is come,
                  he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak
                  of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he
                  speak: and he will shew you things to come.

                  > Is Jesus speaking of the Holy Spirit here? If He is
                  then the Holy Spirit couldn't be God. The Holy Spirit
                  is sent from God and only speaks what He hears. If He
                  was God Himself He would already have everything to speak.
                  This is interesting and I don't fully understand.

                  > In Christ, George...
                • Manuel Culwell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 1, 2007
                    -
                    Dorothy, there are no passages in the psalms that irrrufuteably
                    prove the presumptous, vague, doctrine of the "trinty "so with that
                    said I don't know how you could even say such a thing there are many
                    scriptures trinty folks believe teach thier dogma but when looked at
                    closer do no such thing.

                    -- In TrinityQuestion@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy" <8thday@...> wrote:

                    > George & Grey,
                    >
                    > I was in a 6 month debate with a "oneness" Pentecostal and I'm
                    slowly working my way through that discussion. Here is one link in
                    support of the trinity that I found quite comprehensive.

                    > http://www.equip.org/free/DT160.htm
                    >
                    > I have another I'm really searching for that compares the
                    attributes and characteristics of all three. I haven't run across
                    it yet, but will forward it when I come across it.

                    > There was an awful lot of argument out of the Psalms that he
                    couldn't refute from his position, but those notes are sparce. I
                    changed e-mail providers and lost most of that. I'm finding bits
                    and pieces though. I'll put some of it together for consideration
                    also. I did notice that this article carried some of that
                    argument.

                    > Dorothy

                  • Sea Wife
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                      Jesus is talking about himself in the third person as he often did.  Unless somebody else was dwelling in the world with the Apostles.

                      And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever,  even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall be in you [John 14:16,17]..

                      Sea

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 3, 2007
                        Ditto George.

                        Sea

                        > I don't believe it is in error here. It says "He will not speak of
                        > Himself, but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak". So He
                        > would be speaking for God and representing Him. If you lie to the one
                        > speaking for Him you are lying to Him. I do believe that the Holy
                        > Spirit is the power and the authority of God. Jesus recieved this power
                        > and authority and He pours it out to us so we can also become children
                        > of God. I certainly don't believe the Holy Spirit is a third person of
                        > a trinity. Nobody prays to the Holy Spirit. They pray to the Father
                        > through the power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit helps and enables
                        > us to pray and know God and His Son. One more point about the Holy
                        > Spirit. That questionable verse in Matt. 28 says to baptize "In the
                        > name of the Father, and the name of the Son, and the name of the Holy
                        > Spirit." Now we know the name of the Father, and we know the name of
                        > the Son, but how come there is no name for the Holy Spirit? Why is the
                        > third Person of the Godhead left out? And why don't He have a thrown
                        > like The Father and the Son. I think the reason is that the Holy Spirit
                        > isn't a Person but the Power that proceeds from God.
                        >
                        > In Christ, George...
                        >

                        > --- In TrinityQuestion@yahoogroups.com, Rick OShay <rickoshay4u@...>
                        > wrote:
                        >>
                        >> At the risk of being repititious George, Acts 5:3 reads, "But Peter
                        > said, Ananis why hath satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy
                        > Spirit?..."
                        >> Vs 4c says"...thou hast not lied to men, but unto God."
                        >>
                        >> Is the Bible in error here or is the Holy Spirit God?
                        >> Rick
                        >> >>>>>
                        >> George Smith george_smith92530@... wrote:
                        >> Joh 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide
                        > you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he
                        > shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
                        >> Is Jesus speaking of the Holy Spirit here? If He is then the Holy
                        > Spirit couldn't be God. The Holy Spirit is sent from God and only speaks
                        > what He hears. If He was God Himself He would already have everything to
                        > speak. This is interesting and I don't fully understand.
                        >> In Christ, George...
                        >>

                        >> Rick
                        >> >>>>>

                        >> Yeshua Reigns
                        >> http://mail.yahoo.com
                        >>

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • grey yates
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 5, 2007
                          I see the word "another" to be very significant.not
                          the same but "another".If there was a oneness why say
                          another.Why not say I will send me,or one same as me,
                          etc.But He spoke of another or somthing
                          different.Something that could not come while he was
                          here.The reasoning is not of reason but a lookiong
                          upon not in scripture,it is obviously something else.
                          --- Sea Wife <juliesdesk@...> wrote:

                          > Jesus is talking about himself in the third person
                          > as he often did. Unless somebody else was dwelling
                          > in the world with the Apostles.
                          >
                          > And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you
                          > another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever,
                          > even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot
                          > receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth
                          > him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall
                          > be in you [John 14:16,17]..
                          >
                          > Sea

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Jovial
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                            Good point Grey.  Let me add some more..

                            Luke 12:10 tells us

                            "everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."

                            Now here we see a distinction being made between the Son and the Ruach that causes a problem for anti-Trinitarians that teaches these two words are mere synonyms. And of course, the fact that the Ruach has a place in the Godhead is clearly seen in this verse, else blasphemy against the Ruach would not be such a grave sin. Ps 139:7 tells us that the Ruach is omnipresent, and eternal in Heb 9:14. Can there be an eternal being that is not God? Of course not. For whatever has been from all of eternity is not created, and thus part of the Creator, not the created. 1 Cor 3:16 tells us...

                            "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (1 Cor 3:16, KJV)

                            Thus, the Spirit of God is part of God/Elohim. Also, we see in Acts 5 that Ananias "...lied to the Holy Spirit" (Acts 5:3) and was told "...you have not lied to men but God." (Acts 5:4), again, firmly mentioning the Holy Spirit as part of the Godhead.

                            --- Sea Wife <juliesdesk@austarne t.com.au> wrote:

                            > Jesus is talking about himself in the third person
                            > as he often did. Unless somebody else was dwelling
                            > in the world with the Apostles.
                            >
                            > And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you
                            > another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever,
                            > even the Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot
                            > receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth
                            > him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall
                            > be in you [John 14:16,17]..
                            >
                            > Sea

                            Do You Yahoo!?
                            http://mail. yahoo.com

                          • MICHAEL P NELSON
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 7, 2007
                              You continually present arguments that should end with the conclusion "therefore Jesus is not the holy spirit and these spoken of are not God."  If Jesus were the same God who created the heavens and the earth then the consequence for blasphemy against either would be identical.  God is often called The Holy Spirit many times in the New Testament, including Acts 5:3 where he is than called God.  Why would God be called The Holy Spirit in this verse and others?  In order to emphasize the fact that he is the giver of the revelation to Peter when he was confronting Ananias and Sapphira.  Peter then returned to the name God to emphasize the fact that God is the one they were lying to.  Finally you said that Grey made a good point by saying what I left of his quote below.  The word another in the Greek means different.  Jesus said that he would send a DIFFERENT comforter to his disciples, rather than himself.  This is another word emphasizing that Jesus is not God or the comforter.  Another thing you point out, Jesus is neither eternal nor omnipresent nor omniscient, God is all of these things.

                              For the trinity to be true, Blasphemy against Jesus would have to have the same results as blasphemy against the holy spirit.  Jesus would have used a different Greek word that means another of the same kind as the comforter.  Jesus would have to be omniscient and omnipresent.

                              Mike

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 12, 2007

                                grey:  I see the word "another" to be very significant.not
                                the same but "another".If there was a oneness why say
                                another.Why not say I will send me,or one same as me,
                                etc.But He spoke of another or somthing
                                different.Something that could not come while he was
                                here.The reasoning is not of reason but a lookiong
                                upon not in scripture,it is obviously something else.

                                Sea:  Yes another usually means someone/something other than the original.  But not always.  It can mean a change in physicality or a change in character.  Consider Saul.  When the spirit came upon him were there two men standing there?   Saul and another man?  Or was it a changed Saul?

                                1Samuel 10:1  Then Samuel took the vial of oil, and poured it upon his [Saul's] head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not that Jehovah hath anointed thee to be prince over his inheritance?

                                1Samuel 10:6 and the Spirit of Jehovah will come mightily upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man.

                                --- Sea Wife <juliesdesk@...> wrote:

                                > Jesus is talking about himself in the third person
                                > as he often did.  Unless somebody else was dwelling
                                > in the world with the Apostles.

                                > And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you
                                > another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever,
                                >  even the Spirit of truth: whom the world
                                cannot
                                > receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither
                                class=SpellE>knoweth
                                > him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and
                                shall
                                > be in you [John
                                14:16 ,17]..