Who Do You Say That He Is?

  • Tim H
    Message 1 of 266 , Nov 4, 2009
      One evening Jesus was in a boat with his disciples crossing
      the Sea of Galilee. A sudden, violent storm enveloped them,
      high waves filled the boat with water and the disciples were
      terrified. Jesus, however, remained asleep. They awakened him
      and said, "Don't you care that we are going to die?" Of course
      Jesus cared about them, and after all, he was on the boat with
      them. He arose, rebuked the storm, and the turbulent sea calmed
      right down. The terrified disciples said among themselves, "What
      manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"
      They had never seen anyone act with such fearlessness and such authority, nor wield such godly power. In the Greek text, the
      apostles' question reads: "Who then is this one?" Indeed, this
      is the question of the ages, and one that every person must
      answer for himself.

      Some time later, as his ministry developed and his fame grew,
      Jesus asked his disciples a question of his own: "Who do people
      say the son of man is?" (Matt 16:13). After they reported to him
      the various opinions circulating among the people concerning who
      they thought he was, Jesus asked them: "But what about you? Who
      do YOU say that I am?" Peter's response was "You are the Christ,
      the son of the Living God." Jesus affirmed that not only was
      that the correct answer, but that Peter knew it because God
      Himself had revealed it to him.

      His question continues to hang in the air even two thousand
      years later, and it is the question that one day every man
      and woman will be required to answer. Why? Because God "has
      set a day when He will judge the world with justice by THE MAN
      He has appointed" (Acts 17:31). There is no more important quest
      facing mankind than finding out the true identity of Jesus Christ
      and understanding the significance of his life.

      Excerpt from Article
      Posted by Tim H
    • applsaucefactory@aol.com
      Message 266 of 266 , Nov 28, 2009

        In a message dated 11/28/2009 10:13:21 A.M. Central Standard Time, pashanab@... writes:
        It seems I have no idea what constitutes a name?
        Ism't a title, or a combination of words by which a person, place, or thing, a body or class, or any object of thought is designated, called, or known?

        ABBANA is HIs name, and it is How I know him as, and that is how most Christians relate to Him as "Our Father".

        in the Christ
        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        yes, it does seem that way- take for instance the saying

        bob, the fireman

        bob is the person's name

        fireman is his title

        - the apple