Re: Elijah - for Pedro

  • Butros
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi Tim,

      coments below,

      > Hi Pedro, my comments below.
      >
      > > > Tim H wrote:
      > > > 2 Kings 2:9-18 (Elijah)
      > > >
      > > > 2 Kings 2:11 says that Elijah "went up by
      > > > a whirlwind into heaven." This phrase in no
      > > > way indicates that Elijah was taken to a place
      > > > of everlasting life called "heaven." The word
      > > > "heaven" has several usages in Scripture.
      > > > Phrases such as "the dew of heaven," "the
      > > > stars of heaven" and "the birds of heaven"
      > > > all indicate a use of "heaven" that simply
      > > > means the sky above the earth.
      > > >
      > > > Elijah was taken from the earth into the sky
      > > > by a wind; that is, he was moved from one
      > > > place on earth to another. The other prophets
      > > > understood this, and thus wanted to go look
      > > > for Elijah. Elisha, however, knowing that God
      > > > would have hidden Elijah, did not want them
      > > > to look for him. 2 Kings 2:11 simply means
      > > > that God supernaturally moved Elijah from
      > > > one place to another--again similar to what
      > > > He did with Philip in Acts.
      > > >
      > > > As a human being, Elijah eventually died and
      > > > is awaiting the resurrection.
      > >

      > > Pedro:
      > > Tim,
      > > You can assume whatever you want, Being an
      > indigenous Christian of the Holy Land, I do not
      > recall ever visited the Tomb of Elijah. Never the
      > less You might be right that eventually he died.
      > However as apple has mentioned 2 Chronicles 21:12,
      > shows that he was still alive. Now does it mean
      > that he lived all this time or was he was
      > resurrected to deliver a message I do not know.
      > What I believe is that Elijah is in heaven
      > wherever heaven is. The good thing about
      > having faith is that it does not have to be
      > logical or realistic; for faith is above reality.
      > >
      > > In the Christ
      > >
      > > Pedro
      >

      > TIM H:
      > The problem with your belief, Pedro, is that
      > Scripture--even Jesus--tells us that "no man
      > hath ascended up to heaven" (John 3:13), and
      > Peter tells us that David is not ascended into
      > the heavens (Acts 2:34).
      >
      > So, in order to believe that Elijah is in heaven
      > today, one must disbelieve the words of Jesus.
      > Also, do you think that Elijah made it to heaven,
      > but David did not?

      Pedro:

      I do not see any problem with my belief since it is based on
      Scriptures. Jesus' words are clear it is just that your
      interpretation seems to be different. Heaven is not made for men,
      for there is a great devide between heavenly beings and human
      beings.

      God is spirit and deals with the spirit of men not with their flesh,
      for from dust we are and to dust will return in body, however those
      who live in spirit will never die waiting for Judgement and the day
      of the Lord.

      But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you
      received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but
      now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all
      this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those
      who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over
      from there to us.'

      Luke 16, 27 -31
      27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my
      father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so
      that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
      29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them
      listen to them.'
      30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead
      goes to them, they will repent.'
      31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the
      Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the
      dead.' "

      In the christ

      Pedro