Councilmember McDuffie Introduces Bill Creating Ward 5 Industrial Land Transformation Task Force

  • Clark, Timothy (Council)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2012
      PRESS RELEASE

      KENYAN R. MCDUFFIE
      COUNCILMEMBER WARD 5

      Contact:
      Corey Arnez Griffin, Chief of Staff
      (202) 724-8028
      cgriffin@...

      For Immediate Release:
      October 16, 2012

      Councilmember McDuffie Introduces Bill Creating Ward 5 Industrial Land Transformation Task Force

      WASHINGTON, DC – Today Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie introduced the Ward 5 Industrial Land Transformation Task Force Act of 2012. His bill creates a task force, led by the Office of Planning, charged with developing a plan for the revitalization of Ward 5’s industrial land.

      McDufffie stated, “This bill begins a long-overdue discussion on how Ward 5’s industrial land is used and whether it serves the residents of our ward.”

      Ward 5 contains two-thirds of the city’s industrial land acreage. Much of the ward’s privately held industrial land consists of warehousing and distribution facilities, light manufacturing plants, construction and paving equipment lots, and private trash transfer stations. Municipal facilities include the Fort Totten trash transfer station, salt domes, bus garages, and heavy vehicle parking lots.

      Councilmember McDuffie noted, “While some of Ward 5’s industrial land is in productive use and is well-maintained, residents have long lamented the poor condition of many industrial parcels and the effects that traditional industrial uses have on surrounding neighborhoods.”

      The task force, which would consist of agency heads, citizens, and representatives from the private and non-profit sectors, is charged first with surveying the existing conditions of Ward 5’s industrial land and then with developing goals and recommendations for achieving a vibrant 21st century industrial zone that harmonizes with nearby neighborhoods.

      McDuffie added, “The task force will be asked to radically re-think how we use industrial land in Ward 5.” The bill directs the task force to assess the feasibility of expanding land uses to accommodate operations such as recreation, vocational training, sustainable urban agriculture, art studios, business incubation, and temporary urbanism initiatives like Lumen8 in Anacostia.
      “Imagine if Ward 5’s industrial land housed a film studio or an industrial food preparation training center, instead of serving as a parking lot for dozens of dump trucks. We should repurpose warehouses and brownfields – putting residents to work and infusing our neighborhoods with industrial and commercial neighbors that they can embrace and be proud of,” McDuffie noted. “As a parent of two young daughters, I want to take my kids bowling or to a movie in Ward 5. These creative options are ripe for exploration and the task force will do just that,” stated McDuffie.

      Other cities such as Cleveland and Atlanta have leveraged their industrial land as a source of major urban revitalization, and McDuffie indicated that this bill was written with that potential in mind.

      The bill, which was co-sponsored by Councilmembers Alexander, Brown, Orange, and Wells, has been referred to the Committee on Libraries, Parks, Recreation, and Planning.

      # # #