new to group

  • rose78277@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2009
      Goodmorning. My name is Katie. I had a car accident May 2, 2007 that changed my life. I went from working at a bank to not being able to grade my daughters 2nd grade homework.

      After testing I was told that my brain which used to be above average intellegence was now concidered mentally challenged in all areas.

      I just had surgery to stablize my neck and head. They fused my scull to the top 4 vertabre. It got infected and had to be opened up and washed out 4 times. I was in the hosptial two months.

      I need help learning how to move on and figure out how to deal with my lack of short term memory and changes that this injury caused me. I also want to meet others who have been though this part already and know what I'm going though.

      It seems others don't understand the challenges I have been facing with my brain injury. How do I explane to my family what I need and just helping them understand what I'm going though.

      Katie from Missouri
    • Jerry Heath
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2009
        The thing that caused me the most pain is that my personality had changed from the TBI and I did not realize it. My friends and family did realize it and reacted very negatively (they sort of attacked me). The new me was a stranger to them. My best advice is you need to remind yourself and friends and family that your personality was changed by the accident (the change in function is only part of those changes). You cannot be the person you were, but you can go on and you will be different.

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2009
          Hi Katie,
          I had a re-injury to an already bad injury back in 2006. But I am
          progressing, in spite of doctors saying it will never be enough to put
          me back to a real life, working and all. I am thrilled to just not be
          at the nursing home functioning level. I am able to manage living at
          home, and managing everything inside and outside....able to drive a
          bit. Yahoo!! For 2 years after the March 2006 slip on ice I was a
          mess. Really unable to manage at any level....not even my medication.
          Very slowing, then quickly, about a year ago things dramatically changed
          for the better. I believe a good diet and doing new/novel things helps
          reconnect the brain. I still have problems with aphasia, math problems,
          executive function slow down from the recent car accident but strongly
          believe things will continue to get better.

          I never dreamed I could get to this level. Playing, learning completely
          new things....new language....new places...anything novel seems to grow
          new brain connections. Yes eat those fresh veggies, and extra virgin
          oil like from coconut and olive, every 3 hours during the
          day.....repairs nerve/brain.

          BioSil is an old product but new to me. It has helped restore bone loss
          from bad surgeries. Doctors claimed that only with bone grafts could
          problems be improved.......not true!!! In a 4 month period one area is
          90% restored, and in another is 75%........I will wait until Medicare
          will cover to do bone scan to hips to see what has happened there. But
          remember that your Vit D levels must be good from sun or supplements and
          the Mg+/Ca+ levels good.

          Let's just see how good you are in a few years.....can't wait to meet
          the new, recharged Katie.
          Susan H

        • rose78277@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2009
            Thanks for emailimg me terry. I didn't realize that my personality might have changed. Wow that makes sense.

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: Jerry Heath
            Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 05:24:30 -0700 (PDT)
            To: <Traumatic_Brain_Injury@yahoogroups.com>