Banding Together

  • ibikerideski@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
      Greetings.

      This past weekend I spoke at the NOFA winter conference about turning your yard into a garden. I arranged a slide show to get people excited about how to attack the project and shared many ideas that I have implemented on my property and those of my clients.

      But as I was forming the discussion in my mind and on my screen what kept coming to me was that we need not do this in isolation. If you live in a neighborhood, the lines formed around your property are those which are artificially drawn by tax collectors and fence erectors. The shade of the maple tree on "your property" is'nt exclusive to your side of the fence, the rain that falls waters all of trees, the squirrels and rabbits don't abide by our property lines. Our neighborhoods are tiny bioregions that act in accordance to nature, not by lines drawn by surveyors.

      So this was was where I broadened my talk to stimulate people to think beyond the yard and engage your neighbor. Share the fruits of your labors and reach out with your skills, tools and knowledge on anything you have mastered or have an interest in.

      I emphasized that this might have been "a given" in our grandparents time that we knew our neighbors and felt comfortable reaching out to them in good times and those times when we were in need. But now its a little more of a push, we might need to go beyond the comfort of our own fences in order to make the connection.

      Our current state of the economy and environment is uncertain. Our government does'nt represent (in my opinion) the savior and safety net that it used to. I opt for friends and neighbors to count on in unstable times.

      Here is an upbeat, "how to" article on forming support groups of all sorts with people who share the same ideas, opinions and dreams that you do.

      http://www.alternet.org/story/149752/vision%3A_in_it_together_--_how_banding_into_groups_can_help_us_face_the_next_catastrophe

      Start a discussion and offer feedback to the group!

      Wendy
    • Eve
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011
        As far as disposing of an old computer I would suggest you check out the website for the Lower East Side Ecology center (http://www.lesecologycenter.org/) which has partnered with TekServe to have e-waste recycling clean ups in NYC.

        (Do note:  If you ever had important information (i.e. banking information, tax returns, etc) on the hard drive it can never be fully deleted from the hard drive.  As such to ensure that your information is not accessed I would suggest removing the old hard drive from your computer, soaking it in water and then smashing it with hammer or other blunt object before disposing.)

        -eve (new member)

        On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Dian Kohere <gdf08@...> wrote:

        Hey Wendy,

        -have no doubt that your presentation was inspirational.  Are you still in NJ?
        Also, I spoke with Peter, my brother-in law. He mentioned that you both spoke and that he joined "TF" yahoogroup. We have evolved into friends, ...its a beautiful thing:)
        Have you heard of" The DIrty Life", Kristen Kimball? Peter read it and thought it was worth looking at, it's on my list.
        Same situation here in NJ. -still searching for direction as the days fly by.
        Do you think it appropriate to ask a question about discarding old computers to the Yahoo group. Our old computer has ben replaced by my new Mac and before I search solo, I wondered if anyone had found a responsible solution to this delemma already?

        peace.
        di