RE: [TransitionAustin] Corrected: Transition Austin List Serves Promotion

  • brad eddins
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 15, 2009
      thanks for the feedback. I'm way too wordy.

      Ted and I can set up promoting to groups/lists and web sites that you recommend to us by email. Just email those to me. If you have time to email me when you promote to your own groups, I'll note that group too. The hub may benefit over time gaining a communication map of what groups the towns participants are involved in....and to prevent duplication.

      Thanks,
      Brad

      To: TransitionAustin@yahoogroups.com
      From: melriser@...
      Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 05:56:39 -0700
      Subject: Re: [TransitionAustin] Corrected: Transition Austin List Serves Promotion

      Sorry I'm just not getting on this thread. Is there I'm supposed to do with this?

      mel

      Date: Tuesday August 11, 2009
      Time: 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm Repeats: This event repeats every month on the second Tuesday.
      Location: University Hills Branch Library - 4721 Loyola Lane

    • Tommy Tolson
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 15, 2009
        The hub WILL benefit from having the map you mention.
        Creating it would be a great service to the group.
        Thanks.

        Smiles.
        Tommy

        On Jul 15, 2009, at 9:20 AM, brad eddins wrote:

        thanks for the feedback. I'm way too wordy.

        Ted and I can set up promoting to groups/lists and web sites that you recommend to us by email. Just email those to me. If you have time to email me when you promote to your own groups, I'll note that group too. The hub may benefit over time gaining a communication map of what groups the towns participants are involved in....and to prevent duplication.

        Thanks,
        Brad

      • Tom Davis
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
          Message
          I dunno - I really liked the style of the original one, but with something about education added so we can, as Mel said at the meeting, claim that on our 501(c)(3) application.  How about:

          "To teach and model for Austin how to make a graceful Transition from an oil-dependent culture to one of local resilience characterized by sustainable lifestyles."

          Tom Davis      tmd@...      http://www.tom-davis.org
             Transition - it's coming, and we can prepare for it.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
            How about:
            Teaching and sparking Austin's graceful Transition from its carbon-based society into ecological, social, and economic soundness.

            Rob Hopkins says that the word "sustainable" means continuing current social systems.  We don't want that, so we need to stop using that word, or we're using the status quo's frame.  One of the things we need to do is to create a Transition frame that everyone can "get" right off and run with in the cultural discourse that takes us where we want to go.

            Anyone with suggestions is more than welcome to contribute them to this thread.  It's more difficult that one would think to fashion a mission statement that takes us off the economic paradigm and places us on an ecological paradigm which gives us a chance to survive - and thrive through - the climate crisis that is progressing faster than anyone imagined it could.

            Smiles.
            Tommy

            ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----
            Tom Davis      tmd@tom-davis. org      http://www.tom- davis.org
               ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ----

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
              there is going to be NOTHING graceful about transition, no matter how hard we try... too many 5 dollar words...

              think hemingway and journalistic style

              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009

                How about:
                "Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological, social, and economic soundness."

                Spark  toward tipping point.

                Brad

                To: TransitionAustin@yahoogroups.com
                From: melriser@...
                Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:53:58 -0700

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                   Ignore this more out of bounds difiicult wording just to get out of the box a moment:
                  "Sparking Austin's Transition through grassroots organizing, participatory design, and democracy creating holistic and regenerative economic solutions for our local community."

                  Brad
                  Parts from: http://www.financialpermaculture.com/Living_Mandala/Financial_Permaculture.html

                  To: transitionaustin@yahoogroups.com

                  From: melriser@yahoo. com
                  Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:53:58 -0700

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                    I like this, but it needs to have "education" in it for our 501(c)(3) filing with the IRS.
                    So how about:
                    Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological, social, and economic soundness through education, organizing, and building community.

                    Smiles.
                    Tommy

                    To: TransitionAustin@ yahoogroups. com
                    From: melriser@yahoo. com
                    Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:53:58 -0700

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                      My experience so far with Transition Austin confirms a lot of what you say, Mel, yet there have been many moments of profound grace, too.  We don't yet seem to have what it takes to tolerate differences and build community that holds those differences.  Some of that, I think, has to be from forty years of intentionally divisive national politics, starting with Nixon's Southern Strategy and organizing for the "least common denominator," which found the worst in people, but my sense is that there's a lot more to it than that.  At some point, we will probably need to create some social structure that allows us to transcend our intolerance of each other's differences.

                      Hemingway said that he only used a vocabulary of about forty words, and none of them were "5 dollar words," as far as I recall.  I write fiction rather than journalism, so it's easy for me to get carried away.  Someone said that, after Hemingway, every US writer tried to either write like him or to avoid writing like him.  I suspect that's pretty much true.  Now it turns out that he was a failed KGB spy.  Strange.

                      One graceful thing about Transition is that you and I are now pulling in the same direction.  Whatever caused that, I'm grateful for it.

                      Smiles.
                      Tommy

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                        --- In TransitionAustin@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@...> wrote:

                        > I like this, but it needs to have "education" in it for our 501(c)(3)
                        > filing with the IRS.
                        > So how about:
                        > Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological, social, and economic
                        > soundness through education, organizing, and building community.

                        short, succint and to the point...

                        I like this one...
                      • Tommy Tolson
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                          Thanks, Mel.  I'm grateful for the help in getting it done.
                          It tells what we're going to do and how we're going to do it.
                          I think that's what a mission statement is supposed to do.
                          Does everyone agree with Mel?
                          Are there concerns with this wording?
                          Thanks, everybody.  It all helped.

                          Smiles.
                          Tommy

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                            Message
                            Assuming we're still talking about the version in boldface in the message below, I vote Aye - with one minor amendment: instead of "building community" I'd say "community building".  (Sounds better to me, for some reason.)  That would make it:

                            Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological, social, and economic soundness through education, organizing, and community building.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                              Sounds good to me.
                              Does anyone else have concerns?
                              Thanks, Tom.

                              Smiles.
                              Tommy

                              On Jul 17, 2009, at 7:53 PM, Tom Davis wrote:

                              Assuming we're still talking about the version in boldface in the message below, I vote Aye - with one minor amendment: instead of "building community" I'd say "community building".  (Sounds better to me, for some reason.)  That would make it:

                              Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological, social, and economic soundness through education, organizing, and community building.

                              ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----
                              Tom Davis      tmd@tom-davis. org      http://www.tom- davis.org
                                 ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ----
                                 Transition - it's coming, and we can prepare for it.

                              Thanks, Mel.  I'm grateful for the help in getting it done.

                              It tells what we're going to do and how we're going to do it.
                              I think that's what a mission statement is supposed to do.
                              Does everyone agree with Mel?
                              Are there concerns with this wording?
                              Thanks, everybody.  It all helped.

                              Smiles.
                              Tommy

                              On Jul 17, 2009, at 7:12 PM, Mel Riser wrote:

                              --- In TransitionAustin@ yahoogroups. com, Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@ ...> wrote:

                              > I like this, but it needs to have "education" in it for our 501(c)(3)
                              > filing with the IRS.
                              > So how about:
                              > Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological, social, and economic
                              > soundness through education, organizing, and building community.

                              short, succint and to the point...

                              I like this one...

                            • mtobis54
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                                --- In TransitionAustin@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Tolson

                                Well, I had to look up "sparking" but it seems to fit in this sense:

                                To rouse to action; spur: A cheering crowd sparked the runner to triumph.

                                I have trouble with "soundness" though, which could mean just about anything.

                                I find it odd to abandon the word "sustainability" which to me is exactly the right one; as far as I am concerned whether what is sustained is close or far from the current paradigm is of small importance compared to whether it can sustain indefinitely, or not. However, if Hopkins has made a point against that word, it would be pointless to make a controversy about it. That said, putting "economic soundness" as a goal is far more conservative and backward-looking to my ear than "sustainability".

                                As a second choice to sustainability, I think "resilience" makes sense, and I prefer it to "soundness" as more clear.

                                As a second point, I think we need to nod in the direction of the sorts of problems we seek to respond to.

                                So here is my proposal:

                                Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological and social resilience amid global economic and environmental crises through education, organizing, and community building.
                              • Tom Davis
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                                  Message
                                  > Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological and social resilience amid global economic and environmental crises through education, organizing, and community building.

                                  Sounds good to me!

                                  Tom Davis      tmd@...      http://www.tom-davis.org
                                     Transition - it's coming, and we can prepare for it.

                                  Well, I had to look up "sparking" but it seems to fit in this sense:

                                  To rouse to action; spur: A cheering crowd sparked the runner to triumph.

                                  I have trouble with "soundness" though, which could mean just about anything.

                                  I find it odd to abandon the word "sustainability" which to me is exactly the right one; as far as I am concerned whether what is sustained is close or far from the current paradigm is of small importance compared to whether it can sustain indefinitely, or not. However, if Hopkins has made a point against that word, it would be pointless to make a controversy about it. That said, putting "economic soundness" as a goal is far more conservative and backward-looking to my ear than "sustainability" .

                                  As a second choice to sustainability, I think "resilience" makes sense, and I prefer it to "soundness" as more clear.

                                  As a second point, I think we need to nod in the direction of the sorts of problems we seek to respond to.

                                  So here is my proposal:

                                  Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological and social resilience amid global economic and environmental crises through education, organizing, and community building.

                                  .
                                  Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=23865696/grpspId=1705171217/msgId=48/stime=1247883489/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3
                                • Brad
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                                    MTobias wrote--- In TransitionAustin@yahoogroups.com, "mtobis54" <mtobis@...> wrote:....> So here is my proposal:

                                    > Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological and social resilience amid global economic and environmental crises through education, organizing, and community building.

                                    My (Brad's) comment tonight: Originally Tommy or you all have from the home of this yahoo group:
                                    spark the city's graceful change from an oil-dependent culture to one of local resilience, characterized by sustainable lifestyles.

                                    Some mission statement expert can comment here, but I don't know if we want a statement of the Resolution of our reason for being a group, or the experience we'll be involved in on the journey.
                                    I expect an educational non profit will have to have strict limits on not lobbying so I lean toward more work on the mission statement without the word organizing.

                                    I presume Transition is trying to get ahead of not enough oil so "from an oil-dependent culture" seems of value to maintain roots.

                                    For pondering...
                                    Regards,
                                    Brad
                                  • Tommy Tolson
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jul 17, 2009
                                      Me, too.  Thanks, Michael.

                                      Smiles.
                                      Tommy

                                      On Jul 17, 2009, at 10:00 PM, Tom Davis wrote:

                                      > Sparking Austin's Transition to ecological and social resilience amid global economic and environmental crises through education, organizing, and community building.

                                      Sounds good to me!

                                      ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- -----
                                      Tom Davis      tmd@tom-davis. org      http://www.tom- davis.org
                                         ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------- ----
                                         Transition - it's coming, and we can prepare for it.

                                    • inthisworldjfs
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jul 19, 2009
                                        A few comments on select word choice...

                                        For me, transition should not be considered a one time thing. One part of the "first transition" is to setup infrastructure in society that expects and allows for the need for future transitions. That is, we need to be able to have mental expectations that a better way of doing something (whether it be in energy source or something else) will come in the future and then have the infrastructure built into our society to allow for as smooth a transition to the new way as possible. Maybe I am thinking too literally or explicitly about transition but it seems this need for future transition is trying to be captured by the words sustainability, resilency, and regenerative. Regenerative and resilient seem to be words we would only want to have to use in this first transition. I would hope that the first transition makes these words irrelevant for future transition by putting into place the mental and physical infrastructure for smooth future transitions. I think that sustainability comes the closest to this if you look at the definitions of these words. However, I don't think that the word sustainability very explicitly captures the need for the ability of multiple, smooth transitions which I think is (or should be) a major component of the transition movement. I'm still searching for the right word.

                                        sustain: cause to continue or be prolonged for an extended period or without interrruption
                                        regenerate: bring new and more vigorous life to
                                        resilient: able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions

                                        As for Rob Hopkins speaking out against the word sustainable, it seems rather "religousy" of the group to not use the word simply because the founder of the transition movement speaks out against it. I agree with mtobis54 that there is nothing that says "sustainability" means the current system must continue. For me, sustainability always meant that life could continue. It made no assumptions as to how the life was except that it was sustainable. I could understand to chose a different word in order to make a stronger statement about moving away from the current system but I would not say that sustainability assumes the everlasting continuation of the current system.

                                        I'll keep looking for that "perfect" word unless the mission statement is decided or discussion is done on this topic. :)

                                        Cheers,
                                        Jaynna
                                      • Tommy Tolson
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jul 19, 2009
                                          Thanks for speaking up, Jaynna.  You speak to a lot of the best that
                                          Transition offers.

                                          The idea that we get somewhere (writing an Energy Descent Action
                                          Plan) and we're done is thinking in the same way that got us into this
                                          trouble in the first place.  Nature lives in process forever.  We lost our
                                          place in the process when we left the niche nature intended for us so
                                          that we could attempt to control nature, foolish as it was.  That aim
                                          still drives western culture, and shapes our possibilities, if we let it.

                                          Transition is a Permaculture design for an ecologically sound human
                                          future.  Permaculture is an initially simple iteration of Howard Odum's
                                          systems ecology, emphasizing learning to see the patterns in nature and
                                          to develop the personal responsibility to transition into ecological
                                          (rather than economic) beings, beings "in flux," as the Greeks said it,
                                          meaning in process.  Life is a process, not the succession of events that
                                          western culture posits.  We learn this fairly early on after we acquire
                                          ecological consciousness from practicing the ecological way.

                                          It sounds rather religious because there is an ethic to it, a way of acting in
                                          the world.  Permaculture ethics is three-fold, and rather simple seeming:
                                          Care of Earth, care of people, and sharing the surplus.  Practice shows it
                                          to be less simple than it seems.  This ethic transcends morality.  Morality
                                          is how we feel about right and wrong.  Ethics are how we behave in the
                                          world.  Western culture has us bogged down in morality's warm, moist
                                          muck, and taken us out of our ecological practice.  The apple was "the
                                          tree of the knowledge of good and evil."  We need to evolve out of there,
                                          but we've got an organized group of people in Texas who morally oppose
                                          evolution, and they control the Texas Board of Education.  Permaculture,
                                          and Transition, arise from ecological ethics, behavior in harmony with
                                          nature's patterns, which are constantly evolving to more closely fit the
                                          current reality, science's matrix of space and time that is the closest to a
                                          true articulation of reality as we've got presently.  Transition calls us to
                                          evolve with nature.  Simple as that sounds, it's not, at all.

                                          David Holmgren (co-founder of Permaculture, with Bill Mollison) wrote
                                          a book, "Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability"
                                          that goes right to this consideration.  It's about becoming participants in
                                          restoring the resilience of Earth's life support system and living in such
                                          a way that our lifestyles constantly contribute to that restoration.

                                          I don't know that sustainability chains us to the status quo, either, but I
                                          do think that it gives us a false comfort.  Sustainability is surviving,
                                          while resilience is thriving.  Humans are meant to thrive.  We've been
                                          living out an enforced survival mode for ten thousand years, since the
                                          ruling elite got us to leave The Garden (decentralized horticulture) and
                                          to embrace an agriculture that stored its surplus and did not share it,
                                          resulting in the control of the food system that "Ishmael" talks about.

                                          Discussion is not done until we adopt a mission statement that suits all
                                          of us enough to run with it.  The group mind decides that.  Thanks for
                                          your fecund contribution to the discussion, Jaynna.  Everyone is more
                                          than welcome to continue the mission statement discussion.

                                          Smiles.
                                          Tommy