Remembering Rachel

  • Elizabeth de Veer
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hi all,
      A quick note on Falcon Ridge - one of my favorite parts, surprisingly (that
      is, in addition to the Dave Carter song circle) was the Sunday Morning
      "workshop" celebrating Rachel Bissex who died of breast cancer this past
      winter.

      I have to confess that I had seen her perform a couple of times but was not
      enormously pulled to her. But at this gathering, which featured Tracy and
      Jim, Dar Williams, Vance Gilbert, We're About 9, and several other groups,
      was really wonderful, really moving. I was so inspired that I bought the CD.
      As Rachel was dying, she asked her friends to make sure that her children
      would get to college. The first printing of this CD will accomplish that as
      all the proceeds from it go to the fund.

      And the CD is GREAT. Tracy sings Rachel's Welcome to the Game, which I find
      haunting in Tracy's voice. In addition, there are many performers that I do
      not know too well, but each of them do a beautiful job with these songs.

      So check out the CD, more info and how to order here:
      http://www.rachelbissex.com/

      Quick Dave Carter question - the Rachel Bissex tribute was so wonderful it
      really made me wish I could get a recording of the Dave Carter tribute from
      FRFF 2002. Does anyone know whether that is possible?

      Thanks and happy listening!
    • lew
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
        And speaking of One-Horse Town, just before FRFF, another recording of
        St. James Infirmary had caught my interest and I discovered a link to
        "The Letter From New Orleans" which was fasinating! Now, with Jim
        Henry's version out, I'd like to pass along the link for those
        interested in the the curious lyrics of this old Blues tune.

        http://robwalker.net/html_docs/letterthirteen.html

        enjoy,
        Lew

        --- In TracyGrammer@yahoogroups.com, "RG" <Rongrittz@a...> wrote:
        > Hey all . . . for those of you lucky enough to have picked up Jim
        > Henry's excellent new mini-CD "One-Horse Town," I've posted the
        > chords and lyrics to the title track and Jim's cover of Dave
        > Carter's "Quickdraw Southpaw's Last Hurrah" on my chord site, which
        > I'm happy to say received its 250,000th hit this week.
        >
        > Thanks to all of you who have visted, now click on over and play
        > along with Jim . . .
        >
        > http://www.ronsfolkchords.com
        >
        > RG
      • Jessica Byers
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 8, 2005
          Hi there,

          The Pickathon (August 12 & 13 in Woodburn, OR) is still looking for
          some volunteers. I believe that if you volunteer for something like
          4-6 hours, you get the whole 2 days plus camping & parking for free.
          It's a good deal. Contact me if you're interested, or just find the
          volunteer stuff on the Pickathon website, www.pickathon.com.

          See some of you soon!

          :)
          Jess