Need Help Finding Songwriters with Political content

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
      Greetings everyone!

      I'm working on a master's degree in Music and this quarter taking a class on
      contemporary musicology.

      My term paper is on Politically Motivated Songs in the Post Vietnam era -
      more specifically, I'd like to focus on music during the GW Bush
      administration (if I can find enough written material).

      Interviews Are Key:

      Could you offer suggestions of songwriters to approach? And, how to reach
      them? Finding folks on both side of the political fence would also be
      valuable.

      Of course, Tracy is on the top of my list.

      I appreciate your help and will be happy to post my paper online for anyone
      who cares to read it.

      Thank you,

      Stephen

    • RG
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 7, 2009
        >> Could you offer suggestions of songwriters to approach? And, how to
        reach them? Finding folks on both side of the political fence would
        also be valuable. <<

        Well, I can't think of anyone who's written anything on GWB's side of
        the fence, so to speak, unless you want to reach out to country singers
        like Toby Keith and the guy who rhymed "Bin Laden" with "have you
        forgotten."

        But Richard Shindell ("State of the Union" and his cover of "Waist Deep
        in the Big Muddy"), Mark Erelli ("Seeds of Peace" and "The Only Way")
        and Antje Duvekot ("Christian Boys") come to mind immediately. They're
        all probably best contacted through their websites.

        RG
      • jess@shiningcitymusic.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
          I would suggest Myshkin, who can be found at myshkinsrubywarblers.com. All
          of her albums have some political songs on them, but she has one EP of all
          political songs called Sigh Semaphore, which is full of some really stellar
          stuff.

          Also, Eliza Gilkyson is an obvious one, she's got a lot of great political
          stuff and some definite anti-GWB songs ("Man of God").

          If you need more thoughts on particular songs or help with contact info,
          feel free to email me.

          Jess

          >Could you offer suggestions of songwriters to approach? And, how to reach
          >them? Finding folks on both side of the political fence would also be
          >valuable.

        • Bob Jordan
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
            Neil Young did an entire record, and CSN&Y a tour that's documented on DVD, devoted to an anti-war message. The DVD is interesting to watch, especially if you're a fan of Neil and the group.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
              Neil Young as well has an entire website devoted to anti-war songs
              written by others (I believe there are over 3000+ songs you can now
              download from it,) it's a treasure trove of talented singer songwriters

              http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/lwwsongspage.html

              Pam

              --- On Sun, 2/8/09, Bob Jordan <bjordan@...> wrote:

              Neil Young did an entire record, and CSN&Y a tour that's documented
              on DVD, devoted to an anti-war message. The DVD is interesting to
              watch, especially if you're a fan of Neil and the group.

              -

              .

            • Adam Sweeney
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                Hi Stephen,

                Those are some great suggestions so far. I'd also recommend Julie
                Miller, William Jolliff (who wrote Laughlin Boy and many other similar
                "reclaimed" peace songs based on old time tunes), and in Seth Martin
                (http://www.myspace.com/sethmartinsmusic).

                And Josh Ritter's "Thin Blue Flame" from The Animal Years is spectacular.

                -Adam
              • nbretvick
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                  Stephen:

                  Check out the Myspace page for Rantcaster - a central Oregon guy
                  writing some modern day protest songs, though admittedly one-sided.

                  Good luck!
                  Neil
                • LuAnna
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                    John McCutcheon often includes politically themed songs. Many of this
                    political songs are available on his website as free downloads.
                    folkmusic.com

                    John is reachable.

                    finding "both sides of the fence" is going to be hard for sure. Folk
                    music has a long history of protest and being the "music of the
                    people"... that would be the common folks and it has long been the
                    avenue for spreading the message.. Look at Woody Guthrie... and those
                    who followed... Pete Seeger, Utah Phillips, and so many more....

                    LuAnna

                    On Feb 7, 2009, at 8:45 PM, RG wrote:

                    >> Could you offer suggestions of songwriters to approach? And, how to
                    reach them? Finding folks on both side of the political fence would
                    also be valuable. <<

                    Well, I can't think of anyone who's written anything on GWB's side of
                    the fence, so to speak, unless you want to reach out to country singers
                    like Toby Keith and the guy who rhymed "Bin Laden" with "have you
                    forgotten."

                    But Richard Shindell ("State of the Union" and his cover of "Waist Deep
                    in the Big Muddy"), Mark Erelli ("Seeds of Peace" and "The Only Way")
                    and Antje Duvekot ("Christian Boys") come to mind immediately. They're
                    all probably best contacted through their websites.

                    RG

                  • Jean Rossner
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                      Hi, Stephen--

                      Somebody beat me to it on the Eliza Gilkyson recommendation, but I
                      second that one. Most of her stuff isn't very political, but both
                      "Man of God" (mentioned) and "Highway 9" are very anti-war and
                      anti-Bush.

                      Chris Smither isn't generally political, but he says having a young
                      child has made him reconsider. :) His song "Diplomacy" is a very
                      good anti-war song, specifically with reference to the current wars
                      and the Bush administration.

                      Definitely check out Mark Erelli. And Mark is a really nice guy who
                      would probably be a great interview.

                      Are you specifically looking for anti-war songs? I didn't think so
                      from your posting, but if that's how everybody else reads it I wanted
                      to check. If other political topics are also welcome, I have to
                      recommend one of my very favorite artists, Greg Greenway, whose songs
                      include a number related to civil rights issues and other politics.
                      ("Mussolini's Head" is IMO spectacular, and "Singing for the
                      Landlord" and "One Man, One Woman, One Vote" are very good; songs
                      like "Song for Soldiers" are also relevant.) I'd bet he'd be a great
                      interview too; based on following him for a dozen years, I can tell
                      you he's a terrifically friendly and chatty guy.

                      Susan Werner: also not very political in her songs (stage patter is
                      a different matter!), but check out "My Strange Nation."

                      Peter Mulvey likewise, e.g. "29 Cent Head."

                      Jack Hardy has a new song, "Worst President Ever," and I bet there's
                      more where that came from.

                      Must go, but that's a start.

                      Oh, and if you can find "No Straight Line" by the English
                      singer/songwriter David Lewis, you might enjoy that one. Mostly
                      political, but in a non-American and generally somewhat subtle
                      expression. (Lewis is, or was at the time the album came out--I
                      don't know where he is now--a professor at the London School of
                      Economics in his day job.)

                      And for fun (with a point), "Empire and the Right" by the Canadian
                      band Tanglefoot.

                      Hope this helps...

                      Jean
                      --

                      "There are but two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats."

                      - Albert Schweitzer >^.,.^<
                    • Clytia Fuller
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                        Try Anne Feeney. I don't think she writes anything that ISN'T
                        political. --clytia

                        On Feb 8, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Jean Rossner wrote:

                        > Hi, Stephen--
                        >
                        > Somebody beat me to it on the Eliza Gilkyson recommendation, but I
                        > second that one. Most of her stuff isn't very political, but both
                        > "Man of God" (mentioned) and "Highway 9" are very anti-war and
                        > anti-Bush.
                        >
                        > Chris Smither isn't generally political, but he says having a young
                        > child has made him reconsider. :) His song "Diplomacy" is a very
                        > good anti-war song, specifically with reference to the current wars
                        > and the Bush administration.
                        >
                        > Definitely check out Mark Erelli. And Mark is a really nice guy who
                        > would probably be a great interview.
                        >
                        > Are you specifically looking for anti-war songs? I didn't think so
                        > from your posting, but if that's how everybody else reads it I wanted
                        > to check. If other political topics are also welcome, I have to
                        > recommend one of my very favorite artists, Greg Greenway, whose songs
                        > include a number related to civil rights issues and other politics.
                        > ("Mussolini's Head" is IMO spectacular, and "Singing for the
                        > Landlord" and "One Man, One Woman, One Vote" are very good; songs
                        > like "Song for Soldiers" are also relevant.) I'd bet he'd be a great
                        > interview too; based on following him for a dozen years, I can tell
                        > you he's a terrifically friendly and chatty guy.
                        >
                        > Susan Werner: also not very political in her songs (stage patter is
                        > a different matter!), but check out "My Strange Nation."
                        >
                        > Peter Mulvey likewise, e.g. "29 Cent Head."
                        >
                        > Jack Hardy has a new song, "Worst President Ever," and I bet there's
                        > more where that came from.
                        >
                        > Must go, but that's a start.
                        >
                        > Oh, and if you can find "No Straight Line" by the English
                        > singer/songwriter David Lewis, you might enjoy that one. Mostly
                        > political, but in a non-American and generally somewhat subtle
                        > expression. (Lewis is, or was at the time the album came out--I
                        > don't know where he is now--a professor at the London School of
                        > Economics in his day job.)
                        >
                        > And for fun (with a point), "Empire and the Right" by the Canadian
                        > band Tanglefoot.
                        >
                        > Hope this helps...
                        >
                        > Jean
                        > --
                        >
                        > "There are but two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats."
                        >
                        > - Albert Schweitzer >^.,.^<

                        "If there was no music, I would not get through." -Shawn Colvin

                        "Heaven's Bar'n Grill" Fri 9-noon
                        KZSC 88.1 fm
                        Santa Cruz, CA

                        listen or view playlists at http://kzsc.org

                      • mahart51
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                          HI Stephen,

                          Yes, Eliza is political. Her newest CD includes Runaway Train, about
                          society in general. The Party's Over is pretty dark and funny. So is
                          Unsustainable. I know that she answers emails.

                          Melinda Pittman does nothing but political songs, many funny some quite
                          beautiful. She's a bright and articulate woman. Check out her web
                          page at www.broadarts.org. Her music is generally associated with the
                          plays she writes, but stand alone too. She has a great song called We
                          Are All In This Together that is not just about Bush, but about the
                          world in general.

                          Patty Griffin -- Bad News I think is the name of the song.

                          Jonathan Byrd -- The Cocaine Kid. He will also answer emails and is an
                          approachable person.

                          I could go on and on....

                          Hope this will help you.

                          Mollie in PDX
                        • Chris Roth
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                            Hi Stephen and all,

                            I'd recommend checking out Amy Martin from Missoula, Montana
                            (http://www.amymartin.org). Her music is political, ecological, and
                            personal as well (sometimes all at the same time), and she'd probably be
                            happy to be interviewed.

                            Chris
                          • Bob Jordan
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
                              Hey luanna how have you been?

                              ________________________________

                              John McCutcheon often includes politically themed songs. Many of this
                              political songs are available on his website as free downloads.
                              folkmusic.com

                              John is reachable.

                              finding "both sides of the fence" is going to be hard for sure. Folk
                              music has a long history of protest and being the "music of the
                              people"... that would be the common folks and it has long been the
                              avenue for spreading the message.. Look at Woody Guthrie... and those
                              who followed... Pete Seeger, Utah Phillips, and so many more....

                              LuAnna

                              On Feb 7, 2009, at 8:45 PM, RG wrote:

                              >> Could you offer suggestions of songwriters to approach? And, how to
                              reach them? Finding folks on both side of the political fence would
                              also be valuable. <<

                              Well, I can't think of anyone who's written anything on GWB's side of
                              the fence, so to speak, unless you want to reach out to country singers
                              like Toby Keith and the guy who rhymed "Bin Laden" with "have you
                              forgotten."

                              But Richard Shindell ("State of the Union" and his cover of "Waist Deep
                              in the Big Muddy"), Mark Erelli ("Seeds of Peace" and "The Only Way")
                              and Antje Duvekot ("Christian Boys") come to mind immediately. They're
                              all probably best contacted through their websites.

                              RG

                            • linndc1
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                                Anais Mitchell's Hymn for the Exiled is an outstanding piece of
                                political and social commentary set to music.

                                www.anaismitchell.com
                              • kevinserpa
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                                  Dan Bern and Steve Earle, also both on the (very) left side of the dial
                                • linklet@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                                    Pat Humphries and of course, Phil Ochs, but you won't be able to contact him.

                                    steps!
                                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1218550342x1201216770/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=fe
                                    bemailfooterNO62)

                                  • Luca, Joseph (EHS)
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                                      Howdy---

                                      Howdy---

                                      Has anyone mentioned Dar? Also the criminally under-known Greg Greenway.
                                      There's also the whole Dixie Chicks fallout-issue...

                                      Ciao,

                                      Joe