Re: [TracyGrammer] One-Horse Town reviews

  • --k
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
      >>Hard for me to be objective, as we hosted the show, but I think folks
      were wildly entertained, judging by the feedback I got this morning
      from attendees.<<

      Judging by the source, I think a wildly subjective report is
      acceptable.

      --k

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Terry Woodburn
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
        Jim Henry with Tracy Grammer-House Concert, January 29, 2006, Portland,
        Oregon

        FIRST SET
        Deep River Blues
        Texas
        Sound of the Whistle Blow
        We Think We'll Keep Him
        Pals Forever, Dad
        If it were up to me
        Old Cape Cod
        One Horse Town

        SECOND SET
        1952 Vincent Black Lightning
        Quickdraw Southpaw's Last Hurrah
        St James Infirmary
        The Broken Man
        1967
        Drive in movie picture show
        28th of January
        The Power and Glory
        Ruby
        Ruby, the girl with the flyaway hair
        E: When the Siren Blows Again

        This show was a real treat. Intimate, no amplification, a very relaxed
        crowd and engaging performers. Tracy was up there with Jim the entire
        show, but this was clearly "his turn to drive the folk bus", he joked.
        Jim asked for some patience and stated than most likely everyone in the
        crowd may only recognize the two or three songs he regularly performs on
        tour with Tracy, but anyone who has taken the time to purchase Jim's
        back catalog, especially his fine album, "The Wayback", was treated to
        fine examples of what he brings to the dance by way of songwriting and
        musicianship.

        Everything he played sounded solid and well rehearsed, as if he had been
        touring regularly with the songs. What impressed me a great deal was
        the variety of tunings he utilized in the course of the evening.
        Highlights were many, including the surprise second set opener of the
        Richard Thompson classic, 52 Vincent Black Lightning, an extremely
        difficult song to play, to pull off and still do justice to the
        original, which Jim did. In the course of the evening, there were many
        hauntingly beautiful echoes of Richard Thompson's intricate modal
        flavors in Jim Henry's guitar work and none of it sounded the least
        derivative of Thompson's brilliance, Jim put his own stamp in the realm
        of his own songs. His folk chops were solid, his bluegrass-influenced
        flatpicking was wicked and the songwriting was consistently moving and
        top notch.

        One song, "If it were up to me" apparently didn't make the "cut" on the
        last album, which is a mystery. It is so clever and catchy.

        Tracy provided understated, yet consistent accompaniment with her
        signature violin and vocals, even picking up the mando and guitar on
        occasion. She played side-person on this gig and had a sensitive ear o
        the dynamic of each song, even though it is likely that a few of the
        songs were new territory for her, too. She took on one feature song
        late in the second set, "The Power and Glory".

        For new fans and old fans like me who have been there for the various
        Dave/Tracy, Tracy/Donny, Tracy/Jim permutations in the course of her
        career, this show was a treat and affirmation that there is always a new
        surprise around the corner from both of these fine performers.