[TrackChasers] Arena Racing aluminum track

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 4, 2005
      Paul Weisel is adamant about the Arena Racing aluminum oval track that
      is used in the Scope Arena and Hampton Coliseum being a completely
      different track than the conrete floor of the arena. He believes that if
      we count dirt and concrete ovals in the same indoor venue then we should
      also have to count aluminum and concrete as two different tracks. Paul
      also sites the example of the wood and paved ovals at the LA Coliseum
      and thinks they should certainly be two different tracks. He seems
      reluctant to post here but he did ask for me to bring this up to the
      group for consideration.

      In October I had stated that I would consider metal and wood tracks as
      part of the paved category (the four official track counting surface
      categories being dirt, paved, ice and mixed) because I am against
      increasing the number of different countable surfaces if at all
      possible. Allan agreed with my thinking at the time. My concern is that
      by adding categories of countable track surfaces we could potentially
      have people counting 3 or even 4 tracks on the same arena floor, which I
      think would be out of hand.

      I'd like to see if anyone else has any thoughts for or against counting
      a metal track as yet another category.

      Thanks,
      Will
    • Rick Young
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 4, 2005
        I dont think we should complicate things any more than neccesay... Keep things as they are, but may be the wording should be "loose" and "paved".... loose would include cinders, mud, clay, shale, dirt etc, and paved be ashphalt, concrete, wood, or metal or anything that was of a hard nature.

        Rick

[...]

        Auto racing safety equipment Auto racing flag Nascar auto racing

      • Lee Cares
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
          I agree with Will. 2 surfaces per venue is enough.
          Otherwise this could get out of hand.

          --- Will White <trackchaser@...> wrote:

          > Paul Weisel is adamant about the Arena Racing
          > aluminum oval track that
          > is used in the Scope Arena and Hampton Coliseum
          > being a completely
          > different track than the conrete floor of the arena.
          > He believes that if
          > we count dirt and concrete ovals in the same indoor
          > venue then we should
          > also have to count aluminum and concrete as two
          > different tracks. Paul
          > also sites the example of the wood and paved ovals
          > at the LA Coliseum
          > and thinks they should certainly be two different
          > tracks. He seems
          > reluctant to post here but he did ask for me to
          > bring this up to the
          > group for consideration.
          >
          > In October I had stated that I would consider metal
          > and wood tracks as
          > part of the paved category (the four official track
          > counting surface
          > categories being dirt, paved, ice and mixed) because
          > I am against
          > increasing the number of different countable
          > surfaces if at all
          > possible. Allan agreed with my thinking at the time.
          > My concern is that
          > by adding categories of countable track surfaces we
          > could potentially
          > have people counting 3 or even 4 tracks on the same
          > arena floor, which I
          > think would be out of hand.
          >
          > I'd like to see if anyone else has any thoughts for
          > or against counting
          > a metal track as yet another category.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Will

          test'; ">

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • mike
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
            --- In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, RTRYFBAR@A... wrote:
            > Guy, I told Santa that I was very good this year and would like
            plenty of winter clothing under the tree. Santa said I am crazy but
            he will see what he can do. The only 2 weeks that I can't break my
            schedules are the Michigan and Fort Wayne weekends. I will be waiting
            for an invite and thanks for the info
            Mike Knappenberger

            > TrackChasers:
            >
            > Here's the first batch of ice race dates to come out of QC. Will:
            Pack your
            > woollies. Pam: Stock up on Tuna. Mike: We'll give you a call.
            Randy: We're

            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
              Will:

              I agree with what basically everyone has said so far. There should be only three types of track surfaces: Natural (dirt, clay, grass, shale, ice, crushed stone, etc); Man Made (asphalt, tarmac, concrete, wood, metal, paving brick, etc.); and Mixed. Different types of Man Made should not count as a separate track.

              I even thought it through to the next step. We have inner and outer ovals that count, so should Scope count as upper and lower ovals? The reason I thought of this is that no part of the actual metal racing surface touches the concrete oval where they raced years ago. It is completely above it. However, I have to conclude that under the revised rules, even that would not be countable. They are two tracks of the same type (oval), and since they are temporary tracks, even if they don't touch, they don't count as two tracks since they are at the same location. This would be consistant with the oft brought up Chenango figure 8 ruling, or why Berry Pond doesn't count as a new track every week when they relocate the cones for ice racing. Of course, had I been at Chenango that infamous August night.......

              GuySmith

              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 5, 2005
                Guy,

                Upper and lower ovals, I wish I'd thought of that one. I suppose
                St-Guillaume could be upper (ice), middle (grass) and lower (dirt) ovals. :)

                Thanks to those who've responded so far and if anyone else has an
                opinion we'd like to read it.

                Will

              • deskjet960@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 8, 2005
                  Will- Please- no more new track sufaces variables, lets not get ridiculous.
                  When Jeff blew off the banquet last Firday night, that place in France he
                  raced at , I would assume, is not a countable track? I read that the
                  place he was at a couple years ago in France was a different place? PJ

                • Vanden Eynde Roland
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 9, 2005
                    PJ,

                    The track Jeff Gordon took on some other famous rally and road racing
                    drivers during the Stade de France race of champions is indeed not
                    countable. It's a dual asphalt road course within the soccer stadium and
                    cars race two by two on separate lanes. So no passing for position is
                    possible. This was also the case with the previous track Jeff drove on
                    at the Spanish Canary island of Gran Canaria (not in France). Rest
                    assured that if the Stade de France track had been eligible, it would
                    have been on my list since they first used it last year, as Aline's
                    sister lives at Argenteuil, five miles from the stadium at Saint Denis.

                    Roland

                    ________________________________

                    Will- Please- no more new track sufaces variables, lets not get
                    ridiculous.
                    When Jeff blew off the banquet last Firday night, that place in
                    France he
                    raced at , I would assume, is not a countable track? I read that
                    the
                    place he was at a couple years ago in France was a different place?
                    PJ

                    Auto racing school
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Auto+racing+school&w1=Auto+racing+s
                    chool&w2=Auto+racing+shoes&w3=Auto+racing+seat&w4=Auto+racing+safety+equ
                    ipment&w5=Auto+racing+flag&w6=Nascar+auto+racing&c=6&s=149&.sig=xblPVpVZ
                    beZi5H3otUxBig> Auto racing shoes
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Auto+racing+shoes&w1=Auto+racing+sc
                    hool&w2=Auto+racing+shoes&w3=Auto+racing+seat&w4=Auto+racing+safety+equi
                    pment&w5=Auto+racing+flag&w6=Nascar+auto+racing&c=6&s=149&.sig=kCtcW_29d
                    mJvqhe2XyFoMQ> Auto racing seat
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Auto+racing+seat&w1=Auto+racing+sch
                    ool&w2=Auto+racing+shoes&w3=Auto+racing+seat&w4=Auto+racing+safety+equip
                    ment&w5=Auto+racing+flag&w6=Nascar+auto+racing&c=6&s=149&.sig=P1iNYR9JRj
                    _Smx-MRWKGkQ>
                    Auto racing safety equipment
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Auto+racing+safety+equipment&w1=Aut
                    o+racing+school&w2=Auto+racing+shoes&w3=Auto+racing+seat&w4=Auto+racing+
                    safety+equipment&w5=Auto+racing+flag&w6=Nascar+auto+racing&c=6&s=149&.si
                    g=k1CvUqJbgUH7Z6FJyZYWaA> Auto racing flag
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Auto+racing+flag&w1=Auto+racing+sch
                    ool&w2=Auto+racing+shoes&w3=Auto+racing+seat&w4=Auto+racing+safety+equip
                    ment&w5=Auto+racing+flag&w6=Nascar+auto+racing&c=6&s=149&.sig=EHYsxiA3Hl
                    Vdbz9IDQ4BqA> Nascar auto racing
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Nascar+auto+racing&w1=Auto+racing+s
                    chool&w2=Auto+racing+shoes&w3=Auto+racing+seat&w4=Auto+racing+safety+equ
                    ipment&w5=Auto+racing+flag&w6=Nascar+auto+racing&c=6&s=149&.sig=k8I0IAwK
                    HyRSy5hGjRY2pA>

                    ________________________________

                    Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

                    "DISCLAIMER: The content of this e-mail message should not be construed
                    as binding on the part of the National Bank of Belgium (NBB) unless
                    otherwise and previously stated. The opinions expressed in this message
                    are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect NBB
                    viewpoints, particularly when the content of this message, or part
                    thereof, is private by nature or does not fall within the professional
                    scope of its author."

                  • deskjet960@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 9, 2005
                      Thanks, Roland for confirming this. My question is that for him to go all
                      the way over there for the one event, it must be fairly important? even if it
                      does not count by our standards . . PJ

                    • colin herridge
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 9, 2005
                        Hi PJ,
                        The race at the stade de france is not an important meeting as such its more of an end of season blast for the leading drivers in different disciplines ie nascar,f1,rallying etc its more for the honour of your discipline ,tho i expect the money plays a small part :-0,.
                        Roland will you be at the andros tropthy meeting there march 18th ?
                        Colin
                        deskjet960@... wrote:
                        Thanks, Roland for confirming this. My question is that for him to go all
                        the way over there for the one event, it must be fairly important? even if it
                        does not count by our standards . . PJ

                        Auto racing school Auto racing shoes Auto racing seat Auto racing safety equipment Auto racing flag Nascar auto racing

                        ---------------------------------

                        Colin H.

                      • Mike Leone
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 9, 2005
                          All,

                          Wasn't sure if everyone was aware that Brighton Speedway in Ontario,
                          Canada has the following upcoming:

                          Winterfest Ice Racing on January 28th, 2006. This year we will host not
                          only the 4 Wheelers and Snowmobiles but an Endurance Race as well.
                          Information will be sent to all past endurance drivers with valid
                          contact information. Keep watching here for further updates and
                          information. Sponsorship opportunities are available. Contact the
                          Speedway for more information.

                          www.brightonspeedway.com

                          Mike
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 10, 2005
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 10, 2005
                              --- In TrackChasers@yahoogroups.com, RTRYFBAR@A... wrote:

                              > Also, there may be an inner oval at North Wilkesboro next year. If
                              the track reopens for weekly Friday night racing as hoped, they plan
                              to add a 1/5 mile oval for karts, and hopefully also for Legends and
                              Bandoleros.

                              > Guy

                              Guy,

                              How likely do you think it is that North Wilkesboro will reopen. I
                              remember seeing a on line petition from some people to try to reopen
                              it over the summer (that I personally took with only a grain of salt),
                              and I remember Junior Johnson about 3 or 4 years ago working on taking
                              it over but I haven't heard much since. I'd love to see it reopen
                              (esp. if they run a southern modified tour race - or something
                              similar) but I haven't heard much that made me believe it will.
                              Hopefully there was some positive information and I just didn't see it
                              yet.
                            • Mike Leone
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 10, 2005
                                I'm considering going to the indoor race next Saturday at DeVos. Will
                                any tickets be sold at the door? I know Allan mentioned at one time
                                that he felt Saturday's show may be a sell-out. Any updates on that or
                                when the latest I should order a ticket. I do see that it says the will
                                call window will be open two hours prior.

                                Thanks,
                                Mike
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 11, 2005
                                  In a message dated 12/10/05 23:22:02, terrapin44@... writes:

                                  << Guy,

                                  How likely do you think it is that North Wilkesboro will reopen. I

                                  remember seeing a on line petition from some people to try to reopen

                                  it over the summer (that I personally took with only a grain of salt),

                                  and I remember Junior Johnson about 3 or 4 years ago working on taking

                                  it over but I haven't heard much since. I'd love to see it reopen

                                  (esp. if they run a southern modified tour race - or something

                                  similar) but I haven't heard much that made me believe it will.

                                  Hopefully there was some positive information and I just didn't see it

                                  yet.

                                  Ed:

                                  I get a lot of press releases because of writing the column in AARN. This
                                  is the one I received re North Wilkesboro. I realize that it certainly doesn't
                                  mean the track is going to reopen, but at least the group seems to have more
                                  concrete plans than I have seen anywhere else.

                                  gms

                                  ****************

                                  North Wilkesboro Speedway Interests Expanding

                                  By Russell Schmidt

                                  Dec. 9, 2005 - North Wilkesboro, NC - The racing worlds' ears have been
                                  perked up with the thoughts of a once great racing facility coming back to life.

                                  In the past few days, newspapers, websites and the word around North
                                  Wilkesboro seems to be, "Is the track really going to reopen?"

                                  Organizers of the savethespeedway.net, a website dedicated to reopening North
                                  Wilkesboro Speedway have been busy showing area officials from neighboring
                                  governments their well thought out and executed PowerPoint presentation. The
                                  75-minute presentation has been given by area resident and STS Retail Manger for
                                  the site, Jerry Sink.

                                  At each of the three major presentations, area officials were left
                                  speechless, realizing that the group, "have really done their homework."

                                  The overall presentation describes the current state of the track, the costs
                                  involved in bringing it to a state-of-the-art short track facility, income
                                  potentials, projected crowd counts, potential sponsors, letters of intent from
                                  various racing series and driving schools along with professional NASCAR Busch,
                                  Truck and Cup teams giving letters on intent to practice and test at the
                                  facility, if open.

                                  The list of major sponsors is growing each week. They have expressed strong
                                  interests to back the big project if STS can indeed put the whole package
                                  together.

                                  Many of the same artists renderings included in the presentation can be found
                                  on the group's website at savethespeedway.net under Concept Art.

                                  STS Competition Director Kirk Wilson has been busy visiting various race
                                  series presidents and directors from around the country in an effort to seek out
                                  those interested in competing in what could be the country's PREMIER short
                                  track facility. After all, what other short track can accommodate 40,000 race fans?

                                  So far, Wilson has recruited a number of impressive racing series that are
                                  literally chomping at the bit to compete at what could be a newly repaved
                                  progressive banking 5/8ths-mile track.

                                  A weekly racing series of Friday night NASCAR Modifieds, Limited Late Models,
                                  Street Stocks, U-Cars and Mini-Stocks have tentatively been arranged. In
                                  addition, the creme-de-la-creme of short track series such as ASA Late Models have
                                  been penciled in for their North-South series championship on Oct. 21. Throw
                                  in the Rolling Thunder Modifieds, ground pounding IMSA Super Modifieds,
                                  Extreme Midgets on June 14 and Oct 21 along with the North-South Tour Modifieds on
                                  Oct. 28 and wrap up the first season with a Late Model $10,000 to win on
                                  December 9 and you've got an exciting lineup of competition.

                                  Other dates may include USAC divisions such as the Ford Focus Midgets, the
                                  new Silver Crown Cars and pavement sprint cars. Still more racers interested are
                                  the ARCA Trucks, Hoosier Outlaw 410 Winged Sprint Cars, INEX Thunder
                                  Roadsters, Allison Legacy Cars, USCS Sprint Cars, Hooters Pro Cup and USRA Street
                                  Stocks.

                                  There are also 21 tentative WKA go-kart dates on the schedule to run on
                                  Sunday afternoons on a specially built 1/5th- mile oval and possibly one road
                                  course event race for karts on a 7/10ths- mile road course. The INEX Legend cars
                                  and Bandoleros could compete in several races on the smaller oval.

                                  Owners of the speedway, Bruton Smith and Bob Bahre, have been in close
                                  communication with the county and STS officials and appear more than prepared to sit
                                  down at the bargaining table to secure the future of NWS.

                                  STS officials will continue to discuss funding with various potential
                                  investors during the coming weeks.

                                  If all of the "t's" can be crossed and "i's" dotted by the middle of January
                                  2006, a viable game plan of improvements is ready to be put into action. From
                                  repaving to new water and sewer hookups to roof repairs to major painting and
                                  clean-up projects could all add up to the first green flag dropped by
                                  mid-April, 2006.

                                  - 30 -
                                • Rod Henderson
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 11, 2005
                                    I'm pretty sure the event will be using the oval. The infield at
                                    Brighton is largely taken up with a motocross track so I don't see how
                                    they could create a road course.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Dec 11, 2005
                                      PJ,

                                      It's a unique event, where drivers from all forms of motorsport compete
                                      against each other.

                                      Roland

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Dec 11, 2005
                                        Colin,

                                        I've already been there for that meeting two years ago, so I won't
                                        bother next year. It was nice, but cold and the seating is very cramed.
                                        I could hardly walk after being seated for close to seven hours with an
                                        icy wind blowing in my face.

                                        Roland