TrackChaser update

  • Vanden Eynde Roland
    Message 1 of 331 , Nov 8, 2005
      Hello colleagues,

      Each year I go at least one weekend to England, to see some races and sample new tracks. It's usually the Easter weekend, but this year I waited until the first week of November to get my weekend in.

      A computer failure in the morning of November 5 at the new Dutch Eindhoven Airport caused a delay of 2.5 hours and prevented me from first making a trip to Silverstone to watch the Walter Hayes Trophy for Formula Ford 1600. So, I headed straight to Coventry Motor Speedway at Brandon. It's a shale oval inside a greyhound racing track and has several grandstands, a restaurant and a bar. Racing was for BriSCA F1 stock cars, Ministox (a series with Mini saloon cars for drivers aged between 10 and 16) and bangers. The Stockkarts opened the meeting with a short race. The fields were very large (more than 50 bangers) and the wide track encouraged racing. Hence, very few yellows, despite a wet track (it had rained just before the start of the meeting). The entrance fee was £15 and there was a very large crowd. I met Spike and Linda again and also met Colin Casserley for the first time, but I failed to meet Colin Herridge.

      November 6 started out very wet. It had rained all night and my first meeting, the Nottingham Autograss Club race at Moorfield Farm in Oxton took place on a muddy oval, with no grass on it. But the rain stopped for an hour and a half and I saw about 15 short races for varied cars (from basic Mini's to special large engined prototypes). Fields were not very large and there were very few spectators out.

      At half past twelve, I got on the road again and arrived at Hednesford Hills Raceway almost in time for the two o'clock start (I only missed the first BriSCA F1 heat). This asphalt track is aptly named as it is situated on the hills of Hednesford, near the town of Cannock. Entry was £12 for a very long meeting, with the F1's, the Ministox and the Bangers (just like at Coventry) but also Rebels (who look a lot like Legends) and large trucks. Hednesford also has large grandstands, a snack bar and a bar. The fields were large and the crowd huge. The parking lot was filled to the last spot and hundreds of late arrivals had to park more than 2 miles from the track.

      Apart from a possible trip to two more French private road tracks in December, I've got nothing more lined up for this year.

      Roland

      Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

      "DISCLAIMER: The content of this e-mail message should not be construed
      as binding on the part of the National Bank of Belgium (NBB) unless
      otherwise and previously stated. The opinions expressed in this message
      are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect NBB
      viewpoints, particularly when the content of this message, or part
      thereof, is private by nature or does not fall within the professional
      scope of its author."
    • Vanden Eynde Roland
      Message 331 of 331 , Nov 12, 2013
        Hello colleagues,

        Long before I found out trackchasing ever existed, I had a habit of going to some late season races on southern French road courses. I've long since exhausted those new track opportunities, but still there are a few French road courses I have to visit. Last weekend I added a rather remarkable one to my portfolio.

        Why drive an entire day if a high speed train brings you there in half that time? Since I discovered the multitude of possibilities of the French high speed trains, I like to take advantage of their services whenever suitable. Unlike my two previous train travels, this time, I couldn't get round Paris, but still that wasn't such a problem. I boarded a train to Paris Nord just past 11.15 a.m. and 75 minutes later it got me to Paris. In the north station of Paris, I had 85 minutes to get to Paris Bercy station by underground. It only took me 25 minutes to do so and I had ample time to take my numbered seat on the train to Clermont-Ferrand. Another 90 minutes later I got there. I had booked a hotel (Hotel des Commerçants) only yards from the railway station. The weather was a little cold, but sunny and after a long walk I had enough of an appetite to go for an early steak dinner at a Hippopotamus. These are chain restaurants a bit reminiscent of Applebee's.

        On Saturday morning I got back to the railway station to fetch my hire car at Sixt. They gave an excellent rate and handed me a Renault Twingo with only 75 miles on the clock. Unlike in Montréal, I didn't add thousands of miles to it, as my target for the day was less than 35 miles from the town centre. The French tyre manufacturer Michelin has its roots in Clermont-Ferrand and the centrepiece of those roots is its research centre at Ladoux (Auvergne region). This complex, officially called "Centre de recherche Michelin de Ladoux", is a beauty. It's in lush green surroundings. Inside a 5 mile high speed trioval, it harbours several testing grounds for dry weather tyre testing, wet weather tyre testing, braking, etc. The dry weather testing is done on a 2770 metres long flat track with numerous corners. It is on this track that twice a year countable races are held. Last Saturday, two Porsche clubs (one local and one Swiss) held a sprint and endurance meeting. This being a tyre test track, it has neither pit lane nor specific paddock area. I had to park my hire car on a piece of concrete where trailers and cars of team members were parked. Another part of that concrete area was turned into an improvised pit lane. In the morning, they held three 20 minute sprint races for various Porsche classes, while after a two hour lunch break (although there was only a local hot dog stand to get food from), allcomers got on the track for a two hour endurance race. The twisty nature of the track made for good racing, but the track surface was rather slick and there were spins galore. But as this track was surrounded by large grassy runoff areas, no cars were severely damaged. Not being a great fan of Porsches (I like Ferraris and Maseratis better), I left halfway the endurance race and had a nice drive in the hills surrounding Clermont-Ferrand. The entire landscape consists of extinct volcanoes and it's really gorgeous. I got back into town at dusk, handed the car back in and after another nice dinner, I had a good night sleep.

        Sunday morning, I got on the train back to Paris. Just like on Friday, the journey went by smoothly. So much for my contribution to tracks in November, as the rest of the month will not involve any new trackchasing for me.