#851 Jackson Motor Speedway, Jackson, MS

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi All,
      Another good weather weekend in the south so I am on the road again. After a quick stop at I-30 in Little Rock for a great race on Thursday it was time to find a new track. Friday was the qualifying and heats for the big money races that were Saturday at Jackson. 50 Super Late Models qualified and the other classes drew : 22 late model stocks, 24 Street stocks about 40 open wheels and 20 mini stocks. They held a contest and will rename the track Swinging Bridge Raceway for next season. The track is listed as a quarter mile but appears a bit bigger with long straightaways and high banked turns. The track was well watered but after it was taking too long to pack, they graded the mud from the bottom half and it dried quickly. Visibility was good from a big wooden grandstand on the front and there was also backstretch stands and a pit stand. The lights were ok and speakers were adequate. The qualifying format was unique as the cars were timed in by heat, That is the 9 cars for the first heat took time and the fastest car got the pole for the first heat. They went to the scales and the cars for the second heat timed in to determine their lineup, etc. Again only heats tonight. There was a good mix of Late Models as I recognized Wisc, Iowa and Missouri names along with the southern stars. The Street stocks ran heats first with the usual spins and crashes then the Super Lates ran their six heats with only one yellow flag!! The heats were started straight up with all winners coming from the front row but there was some good racing. Terry Phillips battle with pole sitter Jay Blair in the third heat was the best as Phillips pulled along side on the bottom or on the top each of the 12 laps before motoring around the top on the last turn for the win. The only yellow was in the 4th heat as Mike Boland spun while racing for third, restarted and got back to 3rd but couldn't get by Kenny Merchant who was right behind winner David Breazeale. The late model stocks bent up a few cars in their heats and it was about 12:30 when I left and they were on the second open wheel heat with the minis yet to run.

      #851 10/28/05 Jackson Motor Speedway - Jackson, MS - 1/4 dirt - Late Models

      Ed