Update on Jackson County, OH

  • Mike Leone
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
      All,

      Just searching some track website for some potential shows, and I came
      across Jackson County Speedway in Ohio.
      http://www.jacksoncountyspeedway.net/

      They are racing all the way through the end of Novemeber on Saturday
      night! Wow!

      I thought some of you may be interested in this as I know it gets tough
      to find shows in the Northeast and Midwest after the end of October.

      Mike
    • Allan E Brown
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
        I just heard that the new 35 Raceway is located on the owners property. Tony
        has listed his home as 3510 Little Creek Road. My guess is that is also the
        track's physical address.

        Checking mapquest it looks like it is south of Frankfort near the town of
        Lattaville. The track probably is just north of SR 28 on Davis Hill Road
        (also known as Little Creek Road)

        Allan
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
          Allan,

          According to the web site, the mailing address is 3510 Little Creek Rd.
          but the track is at 3500 Little Creek Rd. I also used Mapquest to come
          up with that location.
          On the web site they say it is one mile south of Frankfort, but the 3
          miles south you listed in NSD seems to be accurate.

          Will

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
            Andy,

            I presume you will be getting a new e-mail address at your new house
            because your old one apparently no longer exists. I'm hoping you may go
            on the Yahoo web site at some point to catch up on the TrackChasers
            messages and will thus read this one. I have received a personal message
            to you from someone who was at the Chili 100. I wanted to forward the
            message to you, so whenever you get a new e-mail address please let me know.

            Thanks,
            Will
          • Mike Leone
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
              Thanks!

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2005
                Hi gang. I took advantage of a beautiful early fall weekend to add three
                new tracks to my list on October 1-2.

                Saturday morning, after a late start and a little trouble finding the
                track (without directions) I ended up at Mike Potosky's Cornfield 500
                near Blooming Valley, PA. Several hundred people gathered back in the
                field and lined the straight underneath the trees at the "mud" oval that
                appeared to be a little less than a 1/5 mile to me. I got to see 3 races
                with an average of 9 cars each. There was a fun atmosphere and many
                people were enjoying the free beer. However, they hadn't brought the
                food out yet by 2:15 and I had to leave hungry because it was a long
                drive to my evening track. Admission was $10.00.

                After getting caught in a traffic mess for almost an hour in Cleveland,
                I rounded Lake Erie and at Detroit I crossed into Ontario. Seven hours
                after leaving Potosky's I finally arrived at South Buxton Raceway. The
                timing was really good as the announcer was calling the line-up for the
                50 lap UMP sanctioned late model feature as I walked in. I found an
                interesting 'D' shaped 3/8 mile dirt oval. I wouldn't quite call it a
                tri-oval although it did have a long backstretch and 2 short chutes on
                the front side.

                A full 24 car field started the late model main which paid $2500. to win
                in US funds. American invader Brian Ruhlman led a majority of the race
                before Wisconsinite Jamie Zidar got under him and went on to win. With 2
                to go, Ruhlman got tangled up with a lapped car and spun on the back.
                Local driver Rusty Schlenk finished third in the caution filled, dust
                filled affair. One car was fun to watch as it ran with the left front a
                good foot off the ground for at least half of each lap throughout the
                race. There were 9 yellows and 2 reds including one for a fuel stop. It
                took an hour and seven minutes to run the race.

                Next came the 4 cylinders for their 10 lap feature, which started 15
                cars and had 3 yellow flags. The modifieds and sprints were finished
                with their point seasons and had small fields of cars. Just 5 mods ran
                their nonstop 10 lapper, while 7 of the 360 sprints went for 20 laps and
                also ran nonstop with John Riegling winning. By now it was 11:20 and I
                left as a mechanics race and a powder puff still remained on the card.

                Admission for this show was $20.00 Canadian. A majority of the seating
                was filled, perhaps close to a thousand people on hand. Just about
                everything about South Buxton was about average as short dirt tracks go.

                This track allowed me to break the tie with Guy for most Canadian tracks
                visited. It was also my 9th career international double. Other than the
                July 2005 Netherlands to Germany one, all the others have begun in the
                US and ended in Canada.

                After the long double on Saturday, I had lots of time to kill as my
                Sunday race was not far away. The Ilderton Fair, north of London, ON, is
                a small fair in a small town. I arrived almost three hours early and was
                able to park on the main street, almost right across from the gate. The
                only charge was $6.00 Canadian for entering the fair.

                The yellow jackets were a nuisance on this warm, sunny day. I thought I
                would end up being stung by one (or more) before the day was over. I
                enjoyed chicken souvlaki in a pita as well as a delicious helping of
                fries with gravy. My experience with the 4 previous Thrill Show
                Productions events I attended was that the seating would fill up well
                before the start and be standing room only. Ilderton was no exception,
                as I'd estimate a good 900 fans crowded in with many of them sitting on
                the ground, 3 rows deep, in front of the bleachers. Luckily I got there
                extra early and grabbed a prime top row seat.

                A first for me was the tug-of-war competition that took place in the
                hour before the demo derby and figure 8 races. Three professional
                Ontario teams competed in the tug-of-war, which was held between the
                bleachers and the demo pit.

                The figure 8 course was very small. Of the 5 TSP tracks I've witnessed,
                none appeared larger than 1/25 mile in length. I'd call the Ilderton
                layout 1/35 mile, as the 2 concrete blocks that form the course were
                about 40 feet apart. The entire demo pit is surrounded by these blocks
                and the surface was gravel. The program consisted of 2 heats, a consi
                and a feature for the 8 cylinder demo derby cars, with just 3 heats and
                no feature for the 4 cylinder figure eight competition. This is a pretty
                typical line-up for this promotion. The figure eights ran 15 lap heats
                with 4 cars in each. They always seem to have these little fields for
                the figure 8 races. They do have a good announcer and seem to make the
                most of what little they have to work with.

                Thrill Show Productions was selling tee shirts for just $10.00 and caps
                for $5.00. I decided to pick up a shirt before heading back through the
                fair for a moose tracks ice cream cone on my way out. All in all it was
                an excellent October weekend weatherwise and a successful weekend of
                trackchasing.

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2005
                  Kartington Speedway in Ohio is now a paved oval, starting in 2005. They
                  have been running champ karts.
                  www.kartingtonspeedway.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 9, 2005
                    The Claremore Expo Center in Oklahoma is running the micro sprints on an
                    indoor dirt track again this year. Ed went to that in 2004. The date is
                    November 25th.
                    Contact Aaron Lemmons @ 918-371-8448.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 9, 2005
                      Mid-America Speedway in South Coffeyville, OK, reopened last month under
                      new ownership. They have scheduled ASCS Sooner Region sprints for next
                      Saturday night, Oct. 15th.