Tracks 838-841 Ohio, Indiana, ILL.

  • deskjet960@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
      Last weekend I had plans to finally get to race at the Ionia Fairgrounds in
      MIchigan. Their website listed a Sunday afternoon race at 4 PM. I have been
      trying all season to get this track , after passing by it many, many times this
      summer on my Michigan trips. I wanted to confirm the date with the promoter
      before makng the long trip. He called me back on thrusday night that he had
      just decided to cancel the event, not enough entries he said. I then
      planned to go to the Claremont F8 the last minute , but their phone had only a tape,
      no live person to ask questions about what time the figure eight would start
      and I could not get there until nine pm. At the very last moment( five
      minutes before leaving) I took off heading West in search of possible new tracks. I
      wound up at the Toledo, Ohio Speedway(838) Friday night to finally get to
      their figure eight after seven tries! This was as big for me as Guy finally
      getting his Goose Creek, SC track. The bonus was that I also picked up their
      1/5 mile! (839) This was a factory stock- figure eight championship night.
      They had 16 figure eight cars--. some even had wings/spoilers! 15.00 admission
      and the place was packed. I found a guy in the parking lot selling his extra
      tickets and got one for five bucks, which saved me ten dollars! They stated
      right on time and ran all the qualifying races off like clockwork. Then
      they took major intermission. After waiting nearly a half hour I took off with
      the wild idea of possibly making Baer Field for their features to see if
      possibly I could catch some feature action on their 3/8 mile oval . This was a very
      hasty decision, no idea if it was even a possibility of making it, but I
      wanted to at least try. Well, it took almost two hours driving time and I got
      there at 10.50 pm. I saw lights, but also met race cars coming out. It did not
      look at all promising a this point! When I rolled into the track it was very
      quiet, another bad sign. Well, guess what, they were having thetir
      intermission! They still had all the features left! .The admission was 12.00, but they
      were no longer charging. I liked the newer 3/8 mile oval (840) alot better .
      The older, larger oval is just too big .Poor crowd , only about 200 people.
      I will admit that the main feature - the " half mile modifieds " put on a
      really good show, They had 14 cars and only one yellow flag. This class seemed
      alot like the eastern modifieds, really fast! The show finished about midnight.
      The next day, Saturday, I finally got to a place I really wanted bad. This
      place is one of the premier weekly short tracks of the entire country., Peoria
      Speedway in ILL.(841). I was not dissappionted,. Full fields of cars , very
      efficient show. Started right on time at 6PM-kind of an early starting time ,
      but I was glad since I had to drive home that night. Only negative was no lap
      counter. Grandstands about half full , probably 900 people. Ten bucks admision,
      very reasonable. This track is the perfect size for a short track. You are
      right on top of all the action all the time. Its very rare that the announcer is
      located in the infield judges stand, which is dangerously close to the
      track. Got over about ten. Note that this place is the original home track of
      our own Randy Lewis. I saw the huge Catapillar Plant he often talks about when
      leaving town. I was happy with a very successfull trip put together the last
      moment. Of course I always have plenty of alternate backup plans, so this
      worked out very well. PJ

    • Randy Lewis
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7 9:11 PM
        P.J.,

        I just got to your message after reading and/or deleting more than 300 messages since I've been gone. Glad you got to Peoria Speedway. Don't know how much of the program you saw. I couldn't imagine driving to Rochester, N.Y. following the show, even though I like to drive.

        The races we saw at Peoria Speedway on Labor Day night were great.

        Randy

        deskjet960@... wrote:
[...]

        Auto racing school Auto racing shoes Auto racing seat Auto racing safety equipment Auto racing flag Nascar auto racing