RE: [TrackChasers] Numbers? Just numbers?

  • Vanden Eynde Roland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 11, 2005
      Guy,

      I totally agree with your thoughts. What I do like about the way the
      rules are now is that they indeed are more or less universal. That is
      why I get it on my nerve if people imply others bend them, because they
      don't go at it the way they would like to. I think it is very unlikely
      to be a coincidence that all this moaning comes at a time when a number
      of colleagues using different slightly ways of chasing shoot up the
      ranks. Looks like sour grapes to me.

      Indeed, every person with this hobby has his or her preferences. Let's
      respect them instead of putting them down constantly.

      What I wrote on the oval bias is not a criticism, merely a statement of
      facts. I can perfectly live with it. And if I want to change something
      in that respect, I'll have to propose a rule change once I'm an eligible
      member and formulate it in such a way the majority of the voters can
      adhere to it (but than of course if the vote goes against their idea,
      they will continue to moan about it). I just used this example to
      underline the rather provincial reasoning behind Allan's arguments. I
      consider us all colleagues with the same hobby, not jealous and
      infighting competitive animals. It's better to be 42nd and happy than
      1st or 2nd and unhappy. You better watch out iduring your climb to the
      top. People getting there do seem to change into grumpy criticising
      machines. But nevertheless, major congratulations with your current
      third spot and give the grumpy old men ranked above you hell. At least
      we could than have a number one chaser who is at ease with himself and
      indulgent for his colleagues. Would be a nice change. Can't wait to
      experience it.

      Roland

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 15, 2005
        Guy,

        I think you have hit the nail on the head, as long as someone is happy in
        what they do as regards as track chasing then that is fine. I don't go to many
        new tracks as I prefer to watch my favourite formula. If that involves a new
        track then so be it, if it doesn't I can live with that as well. I can quite
        understand someone wanting to get in as many tracks as possible, but I feel having
        too many rules is not the way to go after all it is supposed to be fun.

        As for the circuit/oval thing. Let me put you right, I have no interest in
        circuit racing and prefer oval racing. I can see something like adding a chicane
        in the track at Watkins Glen is not a new track, however the Legends track at
        places like Charlotte is because the two are vastly different, the same way
        as the oval and the road course at Daytona would be different tracks in my
        view. The same as going from a quarter to a half mile would be a vastly different
        track. Changing in track design should be left to the individual and as long
        as they are comfortable with it, then that should be enough. I don't think
        anyone is desperate enough to count a new track if there is a minor cosmetic
        change to a track.

        I enjoy reading about where you chaps go each week, so long may the chase
        continue!

        Colin C