Track # 219- Glen Ridge, NY 1/4 mile

  • Andy Ritter
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2005
      5/30/05- Part 2 of my review of Glen Ridge will start with the
      facility. The bigger track is a narrowish 1/4 mile. It started off
      tacky, but got dusty by the end of the heats. In addition to the
      slingshots which run on the inner oval they had 5 divisions,
      including street stocks which had 18 cars and ran twin 20s, 2 4
      cylinder classes, a 6 cylinder class, and a class of modifieds
      called economy sportsman, which drew only 4. Only the streetstocks
      had 2 heats. The racing was OK, but was caution filled, with
      backmarkers continually spinning. The PA was OK and announcer
      average. The lighting on turn 1 and 2 of the big track was very
      dark. There is a small grandstand on the front stretch, and an even
      smaller on at the end of the straight near turn 1. The flagstand is
      oddly at the exit to turn 4, not on the straightaway. I would
      estimate there were about 100-150 fans there.

      The show was rather poorly run, and intermission did include
      entertaining spectator races. One of the competitors had his diesel
      Dodge truck, but it got beat by a gas powered Chevy truck. I did
      sample a bowl of chili, and it was not too good as it appeared to be
      made with spaghetti sauce and was way too tomatoe tasting. They
      have an indoor seating area at the concession stand. Pits are
      behind turn 4 and were rather crowded. I stayed for the first
      street stock 20 lapper before the slingshot main, and the race had
      at least 12 yellows. It did feature an exciting photo finish. I was
      out of there at 915, and there were still 5 features yet to run.
      Way too late for a sunday night. Nonetheless I was pleased with the
      unexpected inner oval, and happy to add 2 more to my list. That's
      it for now.

      Later--Andy Ritter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2005
        Will:

        For those of us that have been to Glen Ridge in the past, which track do we have and which track do we need?

        gms