Re: [TrackChasers] weekend plans

    Message 1 of 15 , May 12, 2005
      Oops!!!

      I'm so used to the Autocross Québec web site not being updated that I
      hadn't checked it lately. Well, I just decided to have a quick glance
      and SURPRISE, the Hippodrome Trois-Rivieres event for tomorrow has been
      canceled! I'm sure glad they finally decided to update that site. I
      guess I better do some checking and decide if I want to change my entire
      weekend plan.

      Will

      Message 2 of 15 , May 15, 2005
        I'm back from an unexpected weekend in North Carolina, where I only
        scored 3 out of 5 attempted tracks.

        May 13 -- Wake County Speedway, Raleigh
        May 14 -- 211 Speedway, Red Springs
        May 14 -- Fayetteville Motor Speedway, Fayetteville

        notes: 211 is the new name for Hammer Down Speedway...I also submitted
        Wayne County Speedway in Pikeville but the strict commissioner rejected
        that one. Maybe it's time we replace him :)... The May 15 stop was
        Friendship Motor Speedway in Elkin, where I was rained out of the paved
        version (I have it as dirt)...2 hours were lost in accident traffic
        between DC and Fredericksburg on the way down, costing me Wayne County
        as I only managed to see the last 4 laps of the bomber feature there.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 15, 2005
          I received an interesting e-mail from a racer who competes in both dirt
          oval and figure 8 racing at the Francois Beland track in Beaudry, PQ,
          which is a little south of Rouyn-Noranda. He informs that they will be
          running there this year on June 26 and August 28. He also says this is
          the only figure 8 he knows of in the province. The oval runs 8 cylinders
          and this year will be adding 4 cylinders too. The figure 8 runs a
          combined 4-6-8 cylinder class. With Lac Berry running on Saturdays and
          Beaudry just a couple hours away on a Sunday, a long trek through the
          northern wilderness this summer is looking better to me.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 15, 2005
            I was just checking the Friendship, NC, web site and it seems they will
            be running karts on May 29. According to the site, there will be senior
            champ classes running on both the regular (2/5 mile) oval and a 1/4 mile
            oval.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 16, 2005
              TrackChasers:

              Pam and I headed to New York to check out two of the three new inner ovals.

              At Oswego, they call their inner oval "The Short Track". The first race in the "modern era" was actually last Fall, for a Four Cylinder Enduro. This year they are using it for the USAC Focus Midgets, the Three Quarter Midgets, the NEMA Midgets, and the Enduro.

              This was the first race ever for the USAC Focus Northeast Series. They did OK for their first race, drawing 13 cars. They had two heats and a feature on the short track, while the three regular Oswego divisions ran on the big track.

              We were lucky that they started early, at 4:00. They knew it was going to rain in the evening, yet still did not do too good a job of keeping the show moving. Luckily, they got the Midget feature in with Ryan Smith, who is virtually my neighbor, winning. They also got past halfway on the stock car main before the rain wiped out the rest. I was glad to have the roof over the seats for this one, and was sorry to miss the Supermodified feature. The heats were not very interesting for the Supers, with only six or seven cars in each heat on such a big track. The new Drinan built super is crazy. The driver virtually lays down to drive it. All cars in all four classes qualified for the main. The place is looking old, with a lot of rust and peeled paint.

              Sunday the weather was dry but cold at Utica Rome. The inner oval that they laid out several years ago finally was finished this year. The inner oval uses part of the larger oval, cutting off some of the straight and the west turns. The new part is a little too narrow. This inner oval is completely separate from the little Slingshot track that they had a few years ago. That track was completely in the infield of the big oval, so they could grade the big track while the Slingshot races were in progress. The Mini Stocks use the inner oval every week, and the CNYIRA Mini Sprints use it six times. This was the first of those six. They had a great field of Mini Sprints, 30, and had a B-Main for the first time in over three years for the club. Six regular weekly classes rounded out the show. Seven classes is too many for a Sunday night, although they do run a very efficient ship and start early (5:30). None of the six regular classes needed a consie. The Mini Sprints were the 4th of 7 features, with the Modifieds the 5th. The Modified was under green before 9:00 p.m. The track started out fantastic, but was dusty by the Mod main. It started raining just after the Mini Sprint feature, and the combination of cold, dust, rain, and several spins had me on my way home before the Modified feature ended. We saw all 6 races on the inner oval, and 14 plus of the 17 on the outer oval. It was 3 1/2 hours home, and the alarm goes off at 5:30 a.m. for me.

              The two inner ovals were new for me, while those two plus the Utica Rome outer oval was new for Pam.

              Will White wrote: "I also submitted Wayne County Speedway in Pikeville but the strict commissioner rejected that one. Maybe it's time we replace him :)...2 hours were lost in accident traffic between DC and Fredericksburg on the way down, costing me Wayne County
              as I only managed to see the last 4 laps of the bomber feature there. Will"

              Will, I'll bet the Ranlay legal team would tell you you saw three more laps than necessary to count the track. In fact, I seem to recall that four laps of green flag racing is just what Randy saw at New Hampshire International (plus I believe 7 other counted caution laps), and the commissioner allowed that one to count. If I were you I would file an appeal with the commissioner. Looks like possible West Coast bias.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 16, 2005
                Guy,

                I don't intend to appeal to the commissioner about Wayne County. After
                all, I have to live with him. I think he is trying to make an example of
                me to the group.

                Will

                PS: It figures that Oswego and Utica-Rome would get in their inner oval
                races after I switched my plans to NC.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 9 6:27 PM
                  I was informed that the Francois Beland dirt oval and figure 8 at
                  Beaudry, PQ, has changed their August 28 date to the following Sunday
                  afternoon, September 4. The tracks also run on June 26.

                  Will
                • ejesser@jvlnet.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 12, 2009
                    Hi All,
                    Last week I was heading to Arkansas and Missouri but so were the storms. I
                    put plan "B" into action and went to Nebraska. I was going back to
                    Missouri on Saturday but a call from my manager changed that too. The
                    choice for Sunday was Kentucky and chances of rain or Illinois and slight
                    rain chances so I took the shorter route.
                    This week I work at the annual festival in Stoughton where the Optimists
                    run a food stand for 3 days so only Sun Prairie on Sunday for racing as we
                    cook until dark each night.
                    Memorial Day may be a chance to add a Wisconsin track with a figure eight
                    at Golden Sands.

                    Ed
                  • towbarsunlimited
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 21
                      Guy, Unsure when I will leave AZ. I have a trip planned to Bakersfield this Thursday which really will start my year off.
                      Either heading east on the 3rd or I might wait for the arrival of a couple I met in Pigeon Forge from Australia on the 14th. Vince