Victory Lane

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2000
      Allan:

      Did you add Victory Lane in Clingman, NC to the list of tracks running this
      year? They said they were going to run Micros once a month on Fridays. I
      saw results from the first one, so I know they had them.

      Mini Cups, like most classes, can never leave well enough alone and split
      into the Rigid (no suspension) and Suspended (usually called, what else,
      Super Mini Cups) classes.

      Rained out at the NY State Fair for the Slingshots on Friday after driving
      all the way up. Went to Glad Rag today for number 700. Rick was there for
      #829. He has four more planned possible for next week. You're right about
      him deserving to be number one.

      GuySmith
      RTR
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2000
        Guy,

        Congratulations on your 700th track achievement this afternoon. In the past 5 weeks we
        have had milestones of 500, 600, 700 and 800 attained. Incredible!

        --Will
      • Randy Lewis

          #829.  He has four more planned possible for next week.  You're right about
          him deserving to be number one.

          GuySmith
          RTR

          Community email addresses:
            Post message: TrackChasers@egroups.com
            Subscribe:    TrackChasers-subscribe@egroups.com

            http://www.egroups.com/community/TrackChasers

          Randy Lewis
          # 1 track chaser West of the Mississippi and European racer from San Clemente.  When you get the choice to sit it our or dance......dance, I hope you dance.

          Do You Yahoo!?

        • Bruce Eckel

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30, 2008
              Greetings from your breadman,

              This past Saturday I joined Guy Smith, Paul Weissel and Mike
              Knappenberger for a trip to Maine to attend the first race in the
              Maine Winter Blast Series at the Victory Lane Indoor Kartway in
              Portland, ME. Actual racing was on Sunday, which enables us to enjoy
              a fine meal at Gilbert's on the Portland waterfront upon our arrival.
              This is a permanent 1/10th mile concrete oval inside a large building
              that is normally used for recreational and league racing. The NKA and
              5 of it's classes, including countable senior champkarts, for the
              first in what they hope is a long winter series. Welcome to another
              version of champkart Hell. This was one of the worst run shows I've
              ever been to. The owner hoped to have the whole show finished by
              5:00pm after a supposed noon start. They missed that by 90 minutes
              when they decided they would use transponders for scoring. They
              didn't have enough for everyone, so they had to switch them from
              class to class. When they realized that this would be time consuming,
              they decided to run each class's 2 heats consecutively. This made the
              first countable heat the 9th event instead of the 5th one. No event
              had less than a 15 minute break between them. Some cautions had
              similar breaks as karts were given any needed repair time after
              crashes or breakdowns. Absolutely nobody was intersted in moving
              things along. Every time I looked up during a break, the owner/race
              director could be seen conversing with any and everyone, totally
              uninterested in actually presenting some racing. Spectator viewing
              was done from an enclosed balcony above the 3rd and 4th turns. The
              owner passed through on numerous occasions for reasons known only to
              him. A DJ played music and gave occasional lineups on a number of
              loud speakers. In the interest of preserving the hearing of our
              group, I disconnected the speaker in the balcony which enabled us to
              converse. The highlight of the day was being joined by Bruce Spencer
              and his daughter which allowed us to trade stories with a new friend.
              Thanks, Bruce, for making a bad deal more tolerable. We finally got
              to leave at 4:45pm with a long ride ahead of us that guaranteed
              little or no sleep for all. With my advanced age and early work
              starting time and the rediculous price of gas, I vow to find and
              print directions to Guy's house that must surely reduce our driving
              time from the northeast by a minimum of 30 minutes. You'd think he'd
              know them himself by now. How long you living there now, bro'? Still
              fighting bronchitis, so I need to catch a little shuteye before
              heading back to breadworld. Adios.

              Gordy