#728 Claremore Expo Arena, Claremore, OK

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2004
      Hi All,
      I finally got on the road again. My manager said I must hit 100 new
      tracks again this year to maintain respect, so I should leave the
      family Thanksgiving shopping to the kids and head west. The race was
      the second annual Oklahoma Arena Cup and this year held in the rodeo
      building at the Claremore Expo. It appears that they would usually have
      seats all around the arena but today the removed all but one side and
      had a 10 row bleacher set up the full length of the building thus
      allowing for a larger track and banked turns. The track was very smooth
      and probably too hard but the micros were fast indoors and very loud as
      the metal building echoed well. The track got dry and took on rubber as
      the inside groove became the fast lane. They watered and tried to dig
      up a second groove during intermission but it just wasted 45 minutes.
      The bottom was so fast and traction so good on the rubber that Kevin
      Bayer was doing wheelies in the A-class feature. Thank God for websites
      and forums as I could not hear anything the announcer said all evening.
      It wasn't until I got home that I found out the racers were :11
      restrictor, 14 non-wing turf tire, 20 non wing, 15 A-class, 16 multi
      and 5 junior sprints. I knew some of the cars as they were the same
      ones I saw race so good at Port City a few weeks ago. The night started
      on time at 4PM with warmups and then heats at 5:15 after a small delay
      to construct a roof for the scorers ( I think they were getting glare
      from the light above). The heats and dashes were done by 6:45 but the
      night didn't finish until 10:20. Eric Edwards won the restrictor from
      the pole with Travis Smith second from 6th starting spot. The non-wing
      feature took six tries to start as everyone was trying to get to the
      pole on the first turn! Ronnie James started 7th and won over 6th
      starter Chris Andrews. In the A-class Chris Berreth took off from the
      front and withstood numerous restarts to pull away each time and win
      over the wheelies of Kevin Bayer. Larry Wickham won the turf tire class
      from the front but 8th starter Randy Seabolt was right on his tail at
      the finish. In the multi class Brady Bacon started on the pole and had
      his hands full in holding back Chris Berreth who tried many times to
      pass on the inside. Jimmy Wood was listed as a visitor from US 24
      Speedway and won the juniors ahead of Blake Hahn. The racing was not
      anything like the action at Port City but it was pretty good for
      indoors although we got dusty and black from the rubber in the air.

      #728 11/27/04 Claremore Expo Arena - Claremore, OK - 1/10 dirt - Micro
      sprints

      Ed.
    • Randy Lewis
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
        Ed,

        Major congrats on hitting 100 new tracks for two years
        in a row. That is excellent.

        Randy

        --- "Edward J. Esser" <ejesser@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > took off from the
        > front and withstood numerous restarts to pull away
        > each time and win
        > over the wheelies of Kevin Bayer. Larry Wickham won
        > the turf tire class
        > from the front but 8th starter Randy Seabolt was
        > right on his tail at
        > the finish. In the multi class Brady Bacon started
        > on the pole and had
        > his hands full in holding back Chris Berreth who
        > tried many times to
        > pass on the inside. Jimmy Wood was listed as a
        > visitor from US 24
        > Speedway and won the juniors ahead of Blake Hahn.
        > The racing was not
        > anything like the action at Port City but it was
        > pretty good for
        > indoors although we got dusty and black from the
        > rubber in the air.
        >
        > #728 11/27/04 Claremore Expo Arena - Claremore, OK -

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Edward J. Esser
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
          Thanks Randy and to you too on smashing the annual new tracks record.
          Where is #800? No Ocala trip? You can't pass up the Tucson dirt track!
          You can tell us all now!!
          I don't think I can make Hampton, VA so I am most likely done for the
          year.

> [...]
          > > took off from the
          > > front and withstood numerous restarts to pull away
          > > each time and win
          > > over the wheelies of Kevin Bayer. Larry Wickham won
          > > the turf tire class
          > > from the front but 8th starter Randy Seabolt was
          > > right on his tail at
          > > the finish. In the multi class Brady Bacon started
          > > on the pole and had
          > > his hands full in holding back Chris Berreth who
          > > tried many times to
          > > pass on the inside. Jimmy Wood was listed as a
          > > visitor from US 24
          > > Speedway and won the juniors ahead of Blake Hahn.
          > > The racing was not
          > > anything like the action at Port City but it was
          > > pretty good for
          > > indoors although we got dusty and black from the
          > > rubber in the air.
          > >
          > > #728 11/27/04 Claremore Expo Arena - Claremore, OK -

        • Randy Lewis
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
            I will not be in Tucson on New Year's eve. Randy

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
          • William White
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
              Hooray for Ed, another banner year. Ed, how many races are you up to in
              2004? What are your chances for regular employment in 2005?

              Will
            • Edward J. Esser
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
                Will,
                The year was good but not up to last year's standards. I am only up to
                185 races and that's 40 down from last year. Of course the 100 new
                tracks is good but 14 off last year too. ( I also have 18 rainouts
                listed.) I will recap the totals in a few weeks and make some plans for
                2005. I would give my schedule out but my manager has not informed me
                where I will be sent to for the New Years Day yet. ( Last year I took
                in Francis Creek, WI before 4 days at the Chili Bowl and I will be at
                all 4 days of the Chili Bowl this year.) Employment will have to come
                by the end of May or June or I will just disappear from the roadways.
                ( The $500 I made last month just won't cut it. Haven't been paid yet
                either.) I would like to get to another 100 new tracks and I am asking
                Jack to purchase an airplane for me as I believe Randy has analized the
                future and that is the only way to go.

                Ed

                > Hooray for Ed, another banner year. Ed, how many races are you up to
                in
                > 2004? What are your chances for regular employment in 2005?
                >
                > Will
                >

                > ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--

                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/o9rolB/TM
                >
                > Shortcut URL to this page:
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Vanden Eynde Roland
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 24, 2006
                  Ed,

                  I just noticed you took over the number one spot in the Figure 8
                  ranking. Congratulations.

                  Roland

                  Visit our website! http://www.nbb.be

                • Mike Leone
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 24, 2006
                    #109 Midvale Speedway, Midvale, OH (3/10-mile asphalt) 7/22/06

                    With most tracks in western PA cancelled due to the rain, I was hoping
                    one of the three Ohio asphalt tracks in eastern Ohio that I have yet to
                    attend were still racing. Painesville had already cancelled and even if
                    they hadn't, there wasn't any way they would be able to race looking at
                    the radar. Barberton and Midvale were still on. The majority of the
                    rain passed through our area around noon time; however the backside of
                    the system was coming off Lake Erie from mostly Cleveland east.

                    Barberton was slated to start at 7 and is only an hour drive for me.
                    Late last summer on a very similiar weather pattern I considered going
                    to Barberton, but it didn't look like they would be able to race and to
                    my luck they did. Barberton seemed to be the edge of the rain that was
                    moving south. I called throughout the afternoon and it didn't look much
                    more than a few sprinkles in the area, though there was steady rain
                    coming off the lakes but it appeared that it kept breaking up after it
                    got south of Cleveland. I left at 5:30 and kept calling along the way.
                    I figured if they cancelled I'd head south to Midvale. Only a few
                    sprinkles fell on me until I go to Akron when the rain let loose and by
                    looks of the shy didn't look like it would end any time soon. By the
                    time I got within sight of the track at 6:30 they had just cancelled.

                    A quick call to Midvale found them still racing. The lady that answered
                    said they started racing five minutes ago. I had already checked the
                    distance prior to leaving for Barberton in case this happened and
                    figured it would take me about an hour. I thought I could beat the rain
                    down there and at least see some racing and hopefully it would break up
                    by the time it would get there. I ran out of the rain south of Canton
                    and I arrived just prior to 7:30. There was some peeks of blue sky and
                    it was dark to the west. It was quite cool for late July as it was only
                    in the mid to upper 60s.

                    A pretty decent crowd of I'd say around 500 was on hand despite the
                    threatening weather. The pursuit races were just getting underway for
                    the four divisions when I arrived. Car counts were 41 compacts, 18 pure
                    stocks, 14 late models, and 11 sport stocks.

                    I later learned that qualifying starts at 4:20 for all divisions, which
                    makes for a very long night. After the four pursuit races, a faster
                    pastor race was held for local pastors and the features were called up.

                    The late model 25-lap feature took the green at 8:42 and was won by Ryan
                    Tedesco. Midvale uses a rule where if you beat your qualifying time you
                    either get sent to the rear or are black-flagged apparently depending on
                    the division. Tedesco took the lead on lap 10 but the following lap
                    beat his time. Tedesco though was able to come back through the field
                    and make the winning pas on lap 21. Six cautions slowed the event. One
                    very hard crash marred the event on lap 17 which saw the #8 car slam
                    head-on into the turn two wall after contact with a couple other cars
                    pretty much destroying his car. After the clean-up light showers began
                    to fall. The racing restarted but had to be yellowed as the intesity of
                    the rain picked up with 19 laps completed. The cars remained on the
                    track and eventually it slowed up enough that they could get back
                    racing. The rain did stop for good just after the victory lane
                    interview.

                    The sport stock feature saw just 9 of the 11 cars start the feature,
                    which took the green at 9:31. This was a good race as five cars battled
                    for the lead after the halfway point of the 20-lap feature. Keith
                    Thomas, who started 7th, took the lead on lap 15 and went on for his 5th
                    straight win. Thankfully this race had only one caution as the same
                    cannot be said for the pure stock feature.

                    At 9:45 the pure stock feature took the green for the 30-lap special.
                    Something told me this race would be a long one with 18 cars starting
                    and being a special. Eight cautions and 47 minutes later the race was
                    finally checkered with just 11 laps completed. Midvale uses time limits
                    on all the races with 5 minutes added to the number of laps. The race
                    would use a 35-minute time limit. When the time expires, they give them
                    two more cautions, which was odd to me.

                    The compacts were split into 3 features, each being 15 laps. All three
                    were good ones. The first one took the green at 10:38 and the last one
                    ended at 11:10, not bad with only four total cautions. The first one
                    had just one caution with Mike Hostetler picking up the victory after
                    taking the lead on lap five. David Breehl returned to action for the
                    first time in a couple years and scored the win after the first and
                    second place cars made contact on lap 11. Just one caution slowed this
                    event as well. The third feature went to Michael Keith, who inherited
                    the lead on lap 13 after the leader was black-flagged for beating his
                    qualifying time.

                    Midvale surprised me as the facility was much nicer than expected. Very
                    well manicured, neat, and clean. There are two sections of bleachers
                    with a break in between the terraced off area. The announcer called the
                    action from a patio area instead of the tower with the scorers. You
                    couldn't hear the announcer except when it was totally quiet and even
                    then it was quite a strain. Way too long of a show though. They did a
                    good job of moving the races along, but unneeded laps under caution and
                    drivers constantly stopping to have officials check their cars on the
                    backstretch border on insane. I have never seen so many cars stop for
                    such long periods of time. At many times during the show I was totally
                    dumbfounded as to what was going on. The officiating seemed very
                    questionable to me at times.

                    Another different rule Midvale uses is that the first three cars are
                    single file and the rest of the field is double on all restarts.
                    Midvale does serve alcohol. The hot dogs I ate tasted like bologna.

                    Midvale does have a figure-8 track, but did not have any races on it on
                    this night. Midvale, which is located five miles south of New
                    Philadelphia just off Route 250, made for my 24th career Ohio track and
                    #109 overall.

                    #109 Midvale Speedway, 7/22/06
                    #108 McKean County Speedway, 6/29/06
                    #107 Hesston Speedway, 6/17/06