Road Trip track #101-Little Valley NY

  • Andy Ritter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2000
      The final night of my trip ended up at Little Valley Speedway in western NY. On tap was a monday night super DIRT series 100 lapper for 358 modifieds. The track grounds have a unique feel as the track is right in the middle of town, and is a nice , old fairgrounds. Pit admission was $20, although this was a DIRT sanctioned race my DIRT license did not offer a discount as with all other tracks on the circuit. I talked with old friend Cory Reed, current race director for many of the touring DIRT races, as he was a former college classmate, and he expressed his dissapointment at the meager 22 car field, and apparently small crowd on the grandstand side. I watched most of the action from the large covered grandstand, and heats were entirely unexciting. The track is a large 1/2 mile, pretty flat, and the straights are very long. The layout is not condusive to side -by-side racing at all. On the plus side the food was excellent, as I had really good french fries, and funnel-cakes, all fresh and inexpensive. The feature was also unexciting as Danny Johnson had it wrapped up after 30 of the 100 laps. After the race I hung out with Cory some more, and also noted that the pit concession was still open and serving food well after the race. I wish more tracks would do this as drivers and crew often have little time to worry about eating until the races are over. The pit food was good too-I had some chicken soup that was real good. Overall the excellent facility and quickly run show(done by 9:45) did not make up for the unexciting racing. Must be that I got spoiled in Indiana as mods are usaully my favorite class in the northeast. I nixed plans to hit Black Rock for their 358 tour race the next night, and headed home the next day. Overall it was a great road trip.