Re: [TrackChasers] track lists/ Potomac

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2000
      Allan,

      Actually I was missing 7 tracks from '99 and 1 from this year on your list. I dug back
      through your old emails and came up with all of the missing tracks, so hopefully your
      list is right now on the website.

      Also, Guy gave me Nancy's list that went up to January of 1999 and I posted that. I'll
      have to get the rest of them. Next I plan to post Eleanor Weidman's list, also courtesy
      of Guy's files.
      Last night they tried a kind of mixture of racing and demo derby at Potomac, MD. It
      sounded intriguing and Gordy, Guy and I decided to check it out.

      They made a 1/4 mile oval with the straights being part of the straights of the 3/8 mile
      track. It started out kind of like the UK's banger racing. They started 24 cars, 4
      abreast, in each race and ran clockwise. There was some pretty fast racing around the
      track but also plenty of smashing, spinning and cars getting stuck together. They were
      supposed to hit each moving car they passed and most of them stuck to that premise.

      For a while it seemed countable to me, like I said not unlike some of the contact racing
      overseas. However, after they raced for so long, they would stop the action, bring the
      remaining moving vehicles onto the front straight and do a regular demo derby until 4
      cars remained. Those 4 would make it to the main derby.

      So, even though it started out looking like a race, it didn't matter how many laps
      anybody actually ran and no winner was declared. Therefore, it couldn't be considered a
      race.

      I thought it was certainly worth checking out though. So did many others as the place
      was pretty well filled, even at $15. general admission. I enjoyed the event but didn't
      like the long delays between each "race".

      --Will
    • RPMGORDY@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2000
        Will, I agree, different but not countable. Gordy