Road Trip:Track #96 Gas City, IN

  • Andy Ritter
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2000
      I made a 5 day, 6 race road trip in mid august. It started on 8/17 with the NAMARS 5 crown race at Gas City. While driving through Ohio to get there I figured it a sure rainout, but just before checking into a hotel on the north side of Indy I spotted Billy Puterbaugh's rig towing north, giving me hope. I called the track and they stated they were running. While heading up I-69 the forecast was for tornado warning west of Indy. I arrived at 5:15 and the pit area was full, and a decent crowd of spectators were already on hand for the midweek show. The track is awesome. the facility is good, with a walk-in souvenir shop, moderate size grandstand, good sound system, and a playground for the kids. The track is a bullring banked tacky quarter. The surface is almost too good as the cushion was the way to go all night, but there was still a lot of passing. I wish every race was a non-winged sprint or midget race. I walked around the pits prior to hotlaps, happy to be back in Indy. I watched hotlaps from about the 10th row of the 4th turn side of the stands, and was pelted the entire time by the amazing clay. It was so tacky that the clay stuck to the mesh of the catch fence, making it hard to actually see the track by the time hotlaps were over. A quality field of over 50 sprints and nearly 50 midgets ran some great qualifying races, without the boring time trials. Dave Darland held on for the midget win, and Tony Elliott walked away with the sprint feature, most of which was run in the late arriving rain. The racing in Indiana is my favorite of any area I have visited as these guys know how to run the bullrings, not like in the northeast where racing on a 1/4 mile usually turns into a survival contest. Overall GAS City is amazing, and I want to go back. Don't any Indiana tracks have lap counters though?