#653 Mercer Raceway Park, Mercer, PA

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2004
      Hi All,
      To put the lid on a short racing weekend it was a trip to PA. The
      weather was so bad last year that I never got to either OH or PA last
      year so I have solved that for '04 already. I didn't realize I probably
      crossed paths with Will this weekend! The Saturday program at Mercer is
      a very strong one for the $10 admission as they had:27 sprints, 28 big
      block modifieds, 21 sportsmen mods, 28 stocks and 4 strickly stocks.
      The facility was very impressive as I entered - There was a large crowd
      on hand for a cold night and lots of them were in their warm cars in
      the first turn viewing area. The track looked good to start the program
      but dried and was very dusty. This is the dirtiest I got this year and
      the wind was blowing away! They have a large grandstand - the view was
      good (except for the dust), the lights were good and speakers were ok
      if you were in front of them. I liked the design of the inside as there
      were no tires or berm to hit and cause trouble just a reverse bank that
      made it clear where the track ended. The announcer was good in hot laps
      as he identified the drivers but he didn't add anything to the show
      after that - in fact he jinxed the show when he shouted that the yellow
      flag in the 3rd sprint was the first one of the night! Well there were
      4 more in that heat and they had yellow fever for the rest of the
      night. The worst wreck of the night was in the sprint feature when Gary
      McCollum flipped and required a med-evac helicopter ride for treatment
      of undisclosed injuries. The big joke of this was when the announcer
      warned us to protect our eyes when the chopper arrived - The dust never
      got to the stands - I was still rubbing the dust off me from the first
      4 laps of the feature. What started out as such a promising evening
      drew long with the 45 minute delay for the helicopter and yellow fever
      they still had one more feature to go at 12:15. The racing was a parade
      in the sprint feature with Rod George from the pole winning over young
      Cameron Dodson from 2nd as the first 4 cars started in the first 4
      positions. The feature for the big blocks went to Tom Kristyak again
      from the pole but second was Frank Guidace who came from the semi and
      started 18th in the feature. There was just too muck crashing
      (especially in the first turn which is much narrower)for the racing to
      be considered very good and the excessive dust made watching difficult.
      Not what I had hoped for but the short weekend was over and it was 38
      degrees so time to head home!

      #653 4/10/04 Mercer Raceway Park - Mercer, PA - 3/8 dirt - sprints

      Ed.