Track # 190- Champion Park, LA

  • Andy Ritter
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2004
      Catching up on the last of the shows on my Texas trip. The last
      race of the trip found me stopping at Waffle House for some eggs and
      hashbrowns and then crossing the border into Louisiana to catch a
      sunday afternoon show at Champion, a few miles east of Shreveport.
      This was their season opener which was originally scheduled for
      saturday night, but luckily for me, as Fast Trax postponed their
      whole weekend, it meant a sunday show. The track sits just off I-
      20, and the facility is not too bad. I arrived about 10 minutes
      before the 2pm starting time and hotlaps were underway. At 330
      hotlaps were still underway. The track is a paperclip style 1/4
      mile with red clay which was no longer red by the end of hotlaps as
      it was black-slick from top to bottom. Throw in a heaping portion
      of bumps, ruts, and holes and you have a perfect recipe for a
      marathon program. Pit entrance was $20, stands $10. The
      grandstands run the whole length of the frontstretch and offer a
      good view. The stands are right on top of the track. Racing
      finally started a little before 4pm, and dragged on until I left
      after the headlining mod race at 9pm. The racing was OK, but
      nothing great. The food was decent as I sampled a couple chili
      dogs. The flagger and overall organization would rate poor. They
      loved to delay the program waiting for the 13th and 14th place guys
      to settle their dispute over starting position. The fields in the 6
      classes were good, with 4 classes requiring a consi. The mods had
      the most at almost 40. The mod feature was exciting as I find few
      scenarios as exciting to watch as a father-son battle for the lead,
      and this race was won by pole sitting Billy Robinson, although son
      BJ, who also won a heat, charged from 4th to battle his dad side by
      side for at least 5 laps before making a mistake and dropping back
      to 3rd. Oh well, another state in the books. Also-although I did
      not see a bayou or swamp during my time in Louisiana I must remark
      on the swamp people I saw in the pits at Champion. One ministock
      driver had a pit crew made up of his 4 sons, who appeared to be all
      between the ages of 7 and 12. The remarkable thing is that only the
      older one had shoes. The rest were barefoot. At least this guy has
      his priorities straight. Lets pay for pit passes before we pay for
      shoes. Yee-haw. Later--Andy Ritter (first alternate)