#631 Beaver Springs, Randolph, WI

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hi All,
      I think it was P.J. who suggested that I stay up north and do some ice
      racing and so it is that I have done just that for 2 weeks. My manager
      suggested some long trips to the wet southlands but I found a better
      plan. Jack said that to alleviate some of my unpaid commission balance
      I could work it off with some new tracks for him. On Saturday at the
      Fox Lake ice races there was some talk of a new Sunday location and
      after some questionning I found that they ran last week at Beaver
      Springs on Lake Beaver Dam just east of Randolph, WI. So here is my
      chance to pay some debts and add a new track just 43 miles from home!
      Most of the cars were ones that run on Saturday at Fox Lake and
      although the organization is new they drew 7 rear wheel drive and 8
      front wheel drive cars for today's Super Bowl special. They ran a heat
      for each class and they inverted the cars from the heat finish to start
      the feature. This produced good racing in each class and featured some
      close action as Kelly Brown beat a closing Mike Manke in the rear wheel
      division and a cluster of 5 cars had very close finish in the front
      wheel division. And I am home before that football game even starts! So
      there it is , by luck of some overheard consverations another track in
      the books and now I think I will have to head to warm weather.

      2/1/04 Beaver Springs-Beaver Dam Lake, Randolph, WI - 1/2 mile ice
      oval - stocks

      Ed.
    • RPMGORDY@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
        Greetings, all, from now sunny Florida. Saturday morning, Suz and I headed
        northeast from our Sarasota base to Daytona International Speedway for the Rolex
        24 Hours race. I should've hit Daytona experts, the Eckels for advice ahead
        of time. With all the "attractions" and such that have been added since my last
        visit in the early 80's, there is now no parking right behind the main
        stands. The one sign that said "race parking" directed you to the tunnel to the
        infield. It wasn't my intention of going in there, but since I'd never viewed any
        action from there on previous visits, I figured why not. It was $40 per person
        and $15 per car to enter. The track website had a $15 general admission
        posted that no one seemed to know anything about. There were approximately 50
        people at the entrance to guide you through 4 lines toward the tunnel. Once inside,
        you were on your own, as no one with a parking vest on had any clue as to
        where you should go to park. They would just tell you where you couldn't park. It
        was a 25 minute search until I parked the nose of my father-in-laws car under
        the nose of Dale Jr.'s souvenir trailer. We found a perch atop a section of
        bleachers that allowed us to view all but the outer oval from the middle of
        turn 3 to the point where they entered the infield, and one small part of the
        inner portion. The cars are nice to look at, and there were more of them than in
        the recent past, but it doesn't take long until they are widely spread out in
        this huge venue. There were 4 lead changes under green while we were there,
        but we saw none of them. Ninety minutes into the race the sky was taking a turn
        for the worse, so we headed for the exit and East Bay where the final night of
        the 360 sprints was rained out. I'll be back and forth between East Bay and
        Volusia the next 4 nights. Friday I hope to finally get the dirt track at
        Orange County since they moved races scheduled for minisprints at Thunder Cross to
        there. Saturday will find me at Citrus County unless Orange County rains out
        Friday necessitating a return. Hope to cross paths with a few of you this week.
        Thanks to all that sent birthday greetings. Next year will be the big 5-0.
        Adios. Gordy

      • Bruce Eckel
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
          Gordy,

          Orange County is running all week with the mini sprints at the beginning
          of the week and the USA sprints Thursday and Friday (13th & 14th). Don't
          know how long you will be down. Will , Pat and I are all heading for Citrus
          County on the 7th. See you there.
          Bruce