#626 Sumter, SC

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hi All,
      The assignment as I explained to my manager was to find a destination
      that could produce at least 2 tracks for the weekend. With a trip out
      west already completed a month ago, I was looking for something closer -
      Jack found me South Carolina! So Sumter Speedway has a special $5000
      to win Late model show scheduled to start at 6PM. With the temperatures
      predicted to go below freezing I was pleasantly suprised to see the
      pits full and some 800 or so spectators turned out. Did I say it was
      COLD? I bought my ticket before 5PM watched some practice and then
      returned to the car to warm up. The speakers are some of the best I
      have seen and I could even hear in my car in the parking lot. So after
      a second set of hot laps and driver awards to the top five in each
      local division it was time to qualify at 7:15. The local divisions ran
      features only and the first one hit the track at 8PM. On hand were 34
      Late Models, 15 thunder and lightning, 15 pure stock, 14 pro stock, 15
      mini stock and 11 street stocks. I already touched on the sound being
      good and the sight lines were ok if you sat high because all the
      divisions except the late models use the infield to pit. The track was
      dry and dusty from hot laps on and this is another track with yellow
      fever. The yellow comes out before a car has completed its spin and
      they were slow to organize some of the restarts. Also 4 yellows for the
      same car is too much and they need a rule such as 2 spins and you're
      out! The lights were ok but Santa could bring a new push truck and a
      couple of good wreckers to speed this show up! The groove was at the
      pole and passing was difficult - The late models lined up with fast
      time on the pole and he won - what's new? (in fact I wrote the running
      order on the lap 4 caution and only needed to change 2 cars by the 50th
      lap). The racing did not rate very high but they did race on a night
      when many would have thrown in the towel!
      P.S. it was 29 degrees when I got to my car about midnight.

      #626 11/29/03 Sumter Speedway - Sumter, SC - 3/8 dirt - Late Models

      Ed.