#610 Salina Highbanks, Salina, OK

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2003
      Hi All,
      It's time to catch up again. The weather did not look good for a trip
      to Charlotte so I headed out for a shorter trip to the midwest. My
      manager will be heading this direction for the weekend but he sent me
      out early to start the week. Thursday night was day one of the three
      day Fall Classic at the well established Highbanks in Salina, OK. The
      modifieds are the headliner and will be racing for $5000 on Saturday
      but tonight's feature will place the first six finishers to the inside
      row of the big race on Saturday. 36 modifieds showed and ran 4 heats
      and two semis before the feature. Also on the program were 13 factory
      stocks, 11 pure stocks and 8 street stocks all of whom ran heats and
      then a feature to set the six Saturday positions in their races. ( I
      don't know what the Friday race will be like for the 2 non qualified
      streets!) The announcer did say that the Thursday night show was
      traditionally the lowest car counts and lowest spectator turnout. The
      track can seat a large crowd and tonight's 400 or so were spread out
      but every seat is a good one as the hill is huge and the infield is
      clear and the lights are very bright. The announcer was good and gave
      race format and lineups and could be heard very well on the six huge
      speakers that are mounted way up in the air along the straight. The
      hill to get up to the seats is so long and steep that a tractor and
      wagon gives rides from the ticket booth to the top of the hill. The
      track is wide and high banked, just like the name implies, and tonight
      with over 2 inches of rain Thursday morning it was quite wet down low.
      The races were good with the modified winner(David Grigg) coming from
      the front row but second place Terry Beckham started 13th. So I am glad
      the rain moved through and the evening was quite pleasant.

      #610 10/9/03 Salina Highbanks Speedway - Salina, OK - 3/8 dirt - IMCA
      modifieds

      Ed.