Re: [TrackChasers] Silverdome Cancelled

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2003
      USAC's website has it also, no midgets in the Silverdome this year.

      I may finally get my fall new track season underway this weekend, if so it
      will be my first since September 1st. I'm hoping for Oak Level, VA, on
      Friday night and the USAC midgets at South Boston on Saturday night.

      Well folks, the moment Andy Ritter and Carol Lewis have been dreading will
      soon arrive. That's right, I am raising the minimum requirements for
      becoming a listed TrackChaser, effective January 1, 2004.

      In addition to the current requirement of having at least 200 countable
      tracks as a US or Canadian citizen, or at least 100 countable tracks as a
      citizen of any other country, you must have enough tracks to meet at least
      one of the following rankings:

      (1) number one in your country,
      (2) top five on your continent,
      (3) top forty worldwide.

      At present I have 40 lists with more than 200 tracks. Therefore, in order
      for a US/Canadian to become listed they will need to "bump" #40 in the
      worldwide ranking. Currently they would need a minimum of 202 to move into
      40th place as Peter Burge has 201.

      For a UK or Belgian citizen to become listed they will need to make the
      European Top Five. As it now stands that would mean they'd need at least 185
      tracks to "bump" Mark Kelly out of fifth place.

      Anyone from another country could still become listed with as few as 100
      tracks as long as they are the first representative of that country.

      Everyone who is already listed will remain listed even if they are "bumped"
      from the standings. The Worldwide Top 40 will be posted on the website next
      year and will include only those with lists meeting the minimum
      requirements.

      I believe that increasing the standings to 40 will further add to the
      competition aspect of the TrackChasing hobby and could end up creating more
      work for me than if I had not raised the minimum requirements. Oh well, what
      are you gonna do?

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2003
        Will:

        You didn't ask for feedback, so I don't know if the changes are still open to consideration. But my one small suggestion would be to increase the Continent requirement to top ten from the proposed top five. Top five on a continent seems a little stringent and may discourage more Brits from joining the game.

        For example, for a new Brit to get listed you say he would need 185 tracks. 184 won't make it. Given the number of UK tracks, 184 tracks is a much higher percentage of the total number of tracks in the country than someone who lives in the US and has, say, 300, which would get them listed. I just wouldn't want it to be much harder for our England counterparts to make it than for us ugly Americans.

        The change could at most result in five extra people being listed, so it wouldn't mean too much more work for you. Just my thoughts.

        By the way, what ever happened to the idea of the TrackChaser Profiles as suggested by A. E. Brown?

        gms
      • Steve Rixon
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 15, 2003
          Well said Guy,

          I sat here thinking that was a wee bit harsh. I actually have the draft copy
          of a list for a newly registered trackchaser from these shores (without
          computer). However, putting the list forward would knowingly bump my buddy
          Mark Kelly from the list, so what do I do???

          Will, you say we must be top 5 in continent and that needs 185 presently. We
          only have around 140 tracks operating in the UK and Ireland...???

          I think top ten would be a great idea. By the way, I may well start a
          trackchaser UK list when I finally get around to putting my website
          together.

          Spike