Two in Kentucky - #896 & 897

  • andy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2003
      Hello Everyone,

      After spending a grueling two-day work week, it was off to Kentucky for Friday and Saturday to take advantage of the good weather. Before getting to Corbin Speedway I stopped in the city of Corbin to visit the Harland Sanders Cafe & Museum. This is where it all began, Colonel Sanders' original restaurant, the birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Also in the building was a modern KFC so I ate there and looked at all the memorabilia. The museum didn't have much but it was still interesting.

      #896 9/5/03 CORBIN SPEEDWAY, CORBIN, KY

      Time trials for all 5 divisions started promptly at 7 o'clock. They lasted over an hour and then the drivers' meeting took place. The 4 car trophy dash races started at 8:25 and were done in half an hour. A 20 minute intermission then took place and then it was feature time. All races started heads up from time trials and there was little passing except in the 13 car Chevette feature. The Sportsmen (18) and Late Models (9) had feature winners lead all their respective laps. After the Chevette feature there was a medical emergency behind the grandstands that required transporting someone to the hospital. I left then, not waiting to see the 5 Trucks race or the Slammers, which had an old 4-door Cadillac, that was NOT the slowest car in that division. A terrible Public Address system and poor lighting made this an average paved Kentucky track.

      #897 9/6/03 WILLARD SPEEDWAY, WILLARD, KY

      This track has very little actual seating, instead going for drive-in parking around three fourths of the track. I knew I was in trouble when I was given a flyer for tonight's race and next week's race. It stated that the drivers' meeting was at 6:00 and racing at 6:30. This coincided with the information at their website and on their phone message. All 3 places had the same information, it just couldn't be true; it wasn't. The drivers' meeting started at 6:15, followed by hot laps for all 6 divisions and time trials for only the Modifieds and Late Models. Actual heat racing began at 8:00. I sure wish all promoters understood that racing is racing, not time trials. It was a long, dusty night with a reasonable (Southern) car count of 79. The 14 car Late Model feature started at 11:00. It was feature 4 of 6 features. An unusual occurrence happened at Willard; the announcer didn't say much of anything at anytime. He would say "here is the second heat of (the division)" and then announce the winner at the end of the race. No comments were made during the races and no driver introductions. It was very unusual.

      Andy Sivi