Western trip report

  • rway61
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
      A rundown of my trip out west. About 5,400 miles of driving, no
      rainouts and high temps. It was at least 100 degrees for a straight
      week. One night, I dreamed about going to Dairy Queen.
      I saw 10 races, 8 new tracks.
      July 16
      Alexandria, Minn., Viking Speedway -- I had been to this place once
      before. Sat with Ed E., who gave you the particulars in an earlier
      message.
      July 17
      Mandan, N.D., Dacotah Speedway -- I had been here for this show about
      10 years ago, but got rained out after a few heats, and wanted to see
      a whole program. Despite some sprinkles, I did, and it was a good
      show, as Randy L. wrote previously. It was good to meet Randy and
      Carol for the first time.
      July 18
      Belgrade, Mont., Gallatin Speedway -- Track No. 539. This looks like
      the best weekly show in Montana. It's a newer, nice facility. They
      had 15 mods, 17 super stocks, 22 streets and 9 late models. A decent
      show.
      july 19
      Billings, Mont., Motorsports Park -- Track No. 540. This is a new
      track, the one that replaces Magic City Speedway. It has newer
      bleachers, permanent restrooms and trailers that come in from town to
      sell concessions (no permanent building for concessions yet). A nice
      place. This racing wasn't nearly as good as last night, though. They
      had 20 super stocks but the quality was much poorer than last night;
      9 mods; 13 streets; 19 pure stocks; and 8 mini-sprints. It was so hot
      that the breeze that was blowing didn't become cool until the sun
      started to go down. Until then, it was just hot air.
      July 20
      Casper, Wyo., Casper Speedway -- Track No. 541. Not a very good
      program, and not a very nice facility. The restrooms are converted
      meat lockers. Really. Even though the track is just out of town, I
      saw three of some kind of antelope as I drove to the track for the 5
      p.m. start (which is switching to 7 for the rest of the year). Still
      hot, and flying red ants made things worse. The racing wasn't awful
      considering the biggest field in the 6-division card was the 9-car
      dwarf field.
      July 21
      Stopped in Ogden, Utah, for a Pioneer League (rookie league) baseball
      game.
      July 22
      Twin Falls, Idaho, Magic Valley Speedway -- Track No. 542. Two
      midweek USAC Western States sprint races are the reason I took this
      week for vacation. Getting help from the Salt Lake City group, the
      show drew 31 sprints. And the racing was good even though this place
      looks like it would be tough to pass on. Rick Hendrix won a disputed
      feature. He was leading, was bumped by second-running Todd Ellison
      and spun. He kept the car running, but USAC threw a yellow. After a
      bit of discussion, USAC put Hendrix back on top, saying they were
      going to have to throw the yellow anyway because of debris on the
      backstretch. Right. Michael Lewis spun early and went to the back,
      but came back to finish third. They also ran a 50-lap feature for
      nine modifieds and a heat and feature for eight Idaho midgets. It was
      85 degrees when I got back to my motel at about midnight and 86 when
      at 9 the next morning. Before the races, I checked out the Snake
      River canyon, near the spot where Evel Knievel attempted to jump with
      his skycycle back in 1974.
      July 23
      Went to Antelope Island in the Great Salt Lake, but it was much too
      hot to stay out too long.
      July 24
      Salt Lake City Rocky Mountain Raceway -- Track No. 543. 33 sprint
      cars showed for this one at this great facility and they got
      everything in despite 3 rain delays. It's strange. You can see the
      rain comin' 'round the mountains. During the sprint heats, before the
      second rain delay, you could see several rain showers at points all
      around the track. The third rain hit after the mod feature, sprint B
      and five laps of the A, and I thought for sure they'd just pull the
      plug. But no, they dried the track again. In the sprint main, local
      driver Jimmy Waters swapped the lead with Rick Pardee early, then ran
      away. The 40-lap feature for 19 mods was a good race, and they
      finished with figure 8s, trains and fireworks. I left during the
      fireworks and got back to my car before 11:30, not bad considereing
      the delays. Learned a little bit about Utah racing from a guy who
      moved to the area from Wisconsin years ago. (His Red Clay Classic
      shirt gave him away).
      July 25
      Great Falls, Mont., Electric City Speedway -- Track No. 544. No 100s
      today for the first time in a week. This little joint,which reminds
      me a bit of the old Little Springfield Speedway, is celebrating its
      50th anniversary. The track looks racy and it's in a neat spot, on a
      hill overlooking the city. But in those 50 years, they've made very
      few improvements. One section of the wooden seating area was just
      replaced, but the rest looks like it's from 1953. They had 20 ASCS
      regional-Montana Sprint Tour winged sprints, 15 pure stocks and 18
      streets. The racing wasn't great. Late models and mods might be
      interesting.
      July 26
      Polson, Mont., Mission Valley Speedway -- Track No. 545. One of two
      Montana paved tracks, this facility is OK. The announcer said it's
      the only non-profit, member-owned track in the country. However, I
      remember thinking the 9-car, 50-lap modified feature at Twin Falls
      was bad. How about an 8-car, 150-lap super stock main (split into 75-
      lap segments). The racing in the 150-lapper was close but, skeptic
      that I am, it seemed almost too close, maybe wrestling-like. They
      also had 7 compacts and 9 Formula Indys, but gave the rest of the
      divisions (hobby stocks, etc.) had the night off, probably because of
      the big 150-lapper. They have a winged sprint car race here in early
      July that might be interesting.
      July 27
      Cut Bank, Mont., Golden Triangle Speedway -- Track No. 546. A Sunday
      afternoon show. Had to drive near the smoky Glacier National Park to
      get here. The facility is bad, the track's straights are really hard
      and the corners like plowed fields. The announcer's and flagman's
      perch are one in the same and it blocks a bit of the backstretch. 9
      street stocks, 5 pure stocks and 4 bombers. Free pony rides for the
      kids, though. The features were over by 4, and I started back east.
      Summary
      Idaho
      Twin Falls Magic Valley Speedway; 1/3-mile paved; USAC Western States
      sprints; July 22, 2003
      Montana
      Belgrade Gallatin Speedway; 3/10-mile dirt; late models, modifieds;
      July 18, 2003
      Billings Motorsports Park; 3/8-mile dirt; modifieds; July 19, 2003
      Cut Bank Golden Triangle Speedway; 3/10-mile dirt; stocks; July 27,
      2003
      Great Falls Electric City Speedway; 3/8-mile dirt; Winged sprints;
      July 25, 2003
      Polson Mission Valley Speedway; 3/8-mile paved; super stocks; July
      26, 2003
      Utah
      Salt Lake City Rocky Mountain Raceway; 3/8-mile paved; USAC Western
      States sprints; July 24, 2003
      Wyoming
      Casper Speedway; 1/2-mile dirt; stocks, dwarfs; July 20, 2003

      Dale O.
    • Bruce Eckel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
        Dale,

        Good report. Enjoy hearing about some tracks that most of us have never
        been to. Always neat to hear about happenings in Montana, etc.
        Bruce

> [...]
        > Twin Falls Magic Valley Speedway; 1/3-mile paved; USAC Western States
        > sprints; July 22, 2003
        > Montana
        > Belgrade Gallatin Speedway; 3/10-mile dirt; late models, modifieds;
        > July 18, 2003
        > Billings Motorsports Park; 3/8-mile dirt; modifieds; July 19, 2003
        > Cut Bank Golden Triangle Speedway; 3/10-mile dirt; stocks; July 27,
        > 2003
        > Great Falls Electric City Speedway; 3/8-mile dirt; Winged sprints;
        > July 25, 2003
        > Polson Mission Valley Speedway; 3/8-mile paved; super stocks; July
        > 26, 2003
        > Utah
        > Salt Lake City Rocky Mountain Raceway; 3/8-mile paved; USAC Western
        > States sprints; July 24, 2003
        > Wyoming
        > Casper Speedway; 1/2-mile dirt; stocks, dwarfs; July 20, 2003

      • Randy Lewis
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
          Hi Dale,

          I enjoyed reading your race reports. Just curious,
          are you counting the figure 8 at the Rocky Mountain
          Speedway?

          Randy

          === message truncated ===

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • rway61
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
            Randy,
            I am resisting counting figure 8 tracks that are part of other
            tracks, inner ovals and road courses that are part of ovals as
            separate tracks. I've just never done that, and I was counting tracks
            before the Internet came along.

            Dale