3 in the South: #852 - 854

  • andy
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hello Everyone,

      #852 5/30/03 FRIENDSHIP MOTOR SPEEDWAY (PAVED), ELKIN, NC

      There was suppose to be a 100 lap Super Late Model race but only 3 cars in that division showed up. Instead, they had a 100 lap race for the 16 Mini Stocks and charged only $8.00 admission instead of $14.00. Actually the race (twin 50 laps) was a better show than the Super Late Models would have been. It was competitive and action packed. They also had 4 Strictly Stocks and 10 Limited Late Models on the program.

      I previously had visited Friendship on June 8, 1991 when it was dirt. I have no qualms about counting a track once as dirt and then another time as paved, or vice versa. The tracks have different personalities once it happens. We are Track Chasers, not Grandstand Chasers.

      #853 5/31/03 SPRING CITY SPEEDWAY, SPRING CITY, TN

      Saturday morning I awoke to the pitter patter of raindrops on my car's roof. The wet weather arrived that had been expected so I headed west on I-40 into Tennessee. Spring City racing was allegedly suppose to start at 6:00. Even though the actual race start time was 6:52 it was still early enough to start thinking of a double for the evening, with Cleveland starting at 8:00. The Spring City track had a rough, dusty racing surface and low car counts. There were only 4 cars in the top class, the Outlaw Late Models. One of the cars was a true outlaw, it had its roof off and Plexiglas side panels, front and back. It was half a lap ahead of its so called competition at the finish of the 8 lap heat race. All the heats were over at 7:45. One of the 4 cylinder divisions had its feature before intermission so I left at 8:05 for Cleveland.

      #854 5/31/03 CLEVELAND SPEEDWAY, CLEVELAND, TN

      58 miles later I was at Cleveland Speedway. Cleveland has an annual big Super Late Model race usually the weekend before Thanksgiving that I have always wanted to go to, but the travel time for just one new track was too much. On this night they had 19 Super Late Models in a 30 lap feature. The racing was competitive for all positions except the top one. It was a fast track and unforgiving with the concrete walls surrounding the track and also infield pits. I also a Hobby Stock feature and part of the Claimer Late Model feature.

      Andy Sivi

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        Andy:

        If I would have decided not to go to Maine, I would have seen you at
        Friendship. One of the reasons I didn't really want to go there this week was because
        I didn't really want to see a 100 Lap Late Model race, with no Modifieds on
        the schedule. When I stopped to look at the place on the way to Taylorsville,
        it looked really nice in its paved version. I always thought that paved and
        dirt versions of tracks had completely different personalities, too.

        I just got that Stock Car Racing magazine today with our picture in it. I
        did notice that they gave the wrong website address (gave trackchasers instead
        of trackchaser). So I doubt we will get many extra hits from that.

        GuySmith

        PS: Congrats #4. We may continue to battle it out the next two months, but I
        have hardly anything new scheduled in August then back to work August 25.