Re: Wall Stadium

  • ed ed
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2003
      Guy Smith wrote:

      > Subject: Re: Memorial Weekend Midwest Travels

      > Do you realize we may have to go through this whole
      > debate again next month when Wall Stadium debuts
      > their "inner oval." I have a feeling that it is an

      > apron that goes all the way around the main oval,
      > just like Lake Erie. The only difference is that
      > Wall has been calling theirs an "inner oval." Lake
      > Erie doesn't even refer to theirs as a different
      > track.

      I was at Wall Stadium a few weeks ago and Guy is
      correct that the tracks "touch". The outside of the
      inner track is the inside of the outer track. They are
      basically separated by a strip of paint. It is also
      where the banking starts (because the inside track is
      basically flat while the outside track is well
      banked). They didn't run the inside track then, so I
      can't count whether or not it counts - but I can tell
      you that none of the laid out racing surface is shared
      (which is not the same as saying the cars never use
      parts of both tracks). However, I can tell you from
      attending many races at Wall in my life, the new
      inside track, with the possible exception of the
      outside foot for the left side tires by a few drivers
      is not used by the cars racing on the outside track.
      Whether or not the cars that are going to race on the
      inside track will slide up onto the outside track is
      something that can't be answered until someone
      actually sees them race.

      I'm not near being eligible to vote, but it seems to
      me just because the tracks touch, shouldn't
      automatically rule them out. If the cars are only
      using the actual separate parts of the track they
      should count separate. This dosen't sound like it is
      the case at Lake Erie, but I haven't seen a race there
      yet (although I will in two weeks). It does sounf that
      Lake Erie may be in that grey area. In Wall's case,
      the banking between the tracks are so different, that
      I really don't see (if the cars on the inside track
      don't go up on the outside track - esp. in the turns)
      how it can't be counted as a seperate track if you are
      going to count any inside oval tracks that touch at
      any place or share any surface. At least IMHO.

      Ed C.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4 2:29 PM
        A reliable sourse says the rumor that the Turkey Derby" at Wall Stadium will run the this year is being spread around.

        Allan

      • ccass176@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4 2:32 PM
          Has Wqall Stadium closed down?

        • BIGDADDO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4 2:35 PM
            In a message dated 9/4/2008 5:32:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ccass176@... writes:

            Has Wqall Stadium closed down?

            It hasn't run all year. But there is an article in the Area Auto Racing News
            that says the Turkey Derby will be run this year.

            deal here.

          • ccass176@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4 2:37 PM
              Shame it isn't running. It's one of those tracks I have wanted to get to but
              never been able to fit it in, doesn't help it's 3,000 miles away!

            • BIGDADDO@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4 2:44 PM
                In a message dated 9/4/2008 5:38:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                ccass176@... writes:

                Shame it isn't running. It's one of those tracks I have wanted to get to but

                never been able to fit it in, doesn't help it's 3,000 miles away!

                Got any friends or relatives to visit in NJ over Thanksgiving?

                deal here.