3 more

  • Edward J. Esser
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi all,
      It was another long weekend but with good results. My manager, Mr
      Erdmann gave me a choice of some mid eastern tracks or the south
      central again and I watched the weather before selecting to go south. I
      could have stopped in Missouri or Arkansas but the cold front was
      producing showers and freezing temperatures so I went further to about
      mid-Louisiana before I found Leesville running Friday night. Upon
      arriving the 70 degree day was rapidly dropping to a cold 48 and the
      drizzle was continuing and I saw a couple cars leaving - but after an
      hour delay to wait out the weather the went on with the program.
      Leesville is a wide quarter mile dirt track with good lights and on
      this night it was very wet. The program consisted of features only for
      the 5 classes and they run for the gate. (Tonight's purse wasn't much
      as there couldn't have been 80 of us there- maybe some went home during
      the delay?) All the cars that were there did not race as some did not
      want to risk a crash for so little a purse. The racing was good with
      only one crash for the whole night as 2 modifieds tested the dirt
      embankment wall in the first turn - The wall won! Saturday was up the
      road for an hour to Many, LA where the old Sabine Raceway is now called
      Many Motor Speedway. Another quarter mile dirt with good banking and
      plenty wide was well watered and built up a large cushion. The 21 cars
      in the modified division were the highest car count but the racing was
      very good with John Whittington having trouble in his heat and starting
      20th using the bottom while all the fast front runners bounced off the
      cushion and not noticing him until it was too late and he took the win.
      The facility is being improved in the rest rooms and some walkways but
      there is lots of work to do. They had some 800 or so on a cold evening
      and the parking was pretty full. Don't know what they would do if they
      ever filled the grandstand! Sunday was a drive to Muskogee, OK for the
      final day of a show scheduled for Fri. and Sat. but when I called on
      Friday they said the show was moved to Sat. and Sun. They were supposed
      to start at 6PM and run the feature portion of the $10,000 to win
      modified show Sunday. They were a little behind schedule as they ran
      the D main at 7PM but it took forever to complete 15 laps and one round
      of boxing. After a spin that was thought to be purposely done the two
      drivers started to fight on the track and then their crews came out (
      one with his hauler full of additional combatants)and it took 4 squad
      cars of officers before we were done! The old fairgrounds half mile is
      a fast track but not too wide and the concrete wall took care of
      numerous cars during the evening. So not as planned but 3 days and 3
      races at 3 new tracks - I'm not complaining. I am awaiting my
      instructions for next week.

      #535 3/28/03 Leesville 171 Speedway - Leesville, LA - 1/4 dirt - UMP
      modifieds
      #536 3/29/03 Many Motor Speedway - Many, LA - 1/4 dirt - UMP modifieds
      #537 3/30/03 Muskogee Speedway - Muskogee, OK - 1/2 dirt - IMCA
      modifieds

      Ed.
    • rpmgordy
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2014
        Oct 11 - Lake Elsinore Motorsports Park - Lake Elsinore, CA - dirt road course - Lucas Oil Regional Series - V8 desert class
        Oct 11- Perris Auto Speedway - democross - Cars ran on the inner oval with obstacles placed around it. Earlier this year such a setup counted as a road course at Hilltop Speedway. I'll leave it up to Guy to decide if it should count as an oval, road course or both. I vote for both since it meets both criteria with past precedent either way.

        Oct 11 - Wheel 2 Wheel Speedway - Victorville, CA - dirt oval - micros

        Gordy
        Sent from AOL Mobile Mail