Auto City Speedway, Flint (Clio), Michigan - Track #428

  • Randy Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2000
      Trackchasers, greetings from Flint, Michigan,

      Tonight's event originated from the Auto City Speedway
      in Clio, Michigan. This was my 428th track and should
      move me to the inside of the seventh row (that's lucky
      13th place worldwide in the trackchaser standings).
      This was the first Thursday night event of the season
      and featured Super Late Models (20) and Modifieds
      (23).

      Highlights: I was able to meet up with my racing
      buddy, Jim Sabo from Cleveland. As Gordy previously
      predicted the real race was from O'hare Airport to the
      track. It took about 6 1/2 hours also accurately
      predicted by Allan. Also, great directions Allan.
      The facility is a good one. There is a lot of seating
      which runs from the middle of turns 3 and 4 all the
      way to the end of the front stretch. They had a wide
      selection of nuts available. I went for the cinnamon
      almonds at $5.00 for about 900 calories. The track
      offered a scoreboard and lap counter. After the
      event was over they played "God Bless America" over
      the PA as everyone headed toward the parking lot. I
      remember another track playing "Happy Trails" which
      provided a great ending.

      Lowlights: The $12 general admission and $25 pit pass
      was a little steep. It's 13 hours from my driveway in
      San Clemente (leaving at 4 a.m.) to the ticket window
      at Auto City (arriving at 5 p.m. PDT). The show
      started at 7:30 p.m. on time. The six heats (three
      for each division) finished by about 8:30 p.m.
      Unfortunately, the two features didn't checker until
      almost 11 p.m. The late models ran 75 laps and had a
      fire and some other wreck related delays. There was
      also very little passing the entire night. A 17 oz.
      bottled water cost $2 (I estimate they paid 25 cents
      for it)

      Overall, I give the racing a 4. The cars were good
      looking but not much passing. The overall facility
      gets an 8. Good PA, lots of seating with great
      sightlines, good parking and refreshments. This was
      also the location of one of my all time favorites
      movies "Roger and Me", a story about how corporate
      America, in this case General Motors was exploiting
      its workers. If you've never seen it, track it down
      you'll enjoy it.

      =====
      Randy Lewis
      # 1 trackchaser West of the Mississippi, from San Clemente where the wind chill hovers around 72, all the women are good looking and the children are above average.

      Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
      http://photos.yahoo.com