Re: [TrackChasers] Memorial Day Weekend Adventure

  • Randy Lewis
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2000
      Bruce,

      Thanks for the report. I have not been to this track
      but based upon your comments I've added it to my wish
      list.

      --- Bruce Eckel <bruceeck@...> wrote:
      > After transversing the PA Turnpike which included
      > the first flip of the weekend (this was a passenger
      > car though--lots of blood--not a good omen) we made
      > it to Smithton, PA, the home of the Motordrome
      > Speedway. The last time we were here it was a dirt
      > track and boy things have changed for the better.
      > In Randy Lewis format here is the summary.
      >
      > Highlights: The facility is top notch from top to
      > bottom. Upon entering the grounds you are greeted
      > by a stone sign indicating the name of the track.
      > The seating is nice with a big aluminum grandstand
      > on the center of the homestretch with the older
      > wooden ones extending to the left well down toward
      > turn four. There is also s smaller aluminum stand
      > toward turn one. There is another wooden grandstand
      > on the backstretch topped by hospitality rooms and
      > there is also a drive in section starting on the
      > backstretch and extending all the way through turns
      > three and four. A beautiful, large scoreboard
      > graces turn 1 with the clock time displayed which
      > turns into the lap counter with the top five
      > positions underneath. Almost everywhere pavement is
      > apparant and where there is grass it is mowed and
      > kept nice. No weeds here!! Admission is a
      > reasonable $10 with kids under 12 admitted free.
      >
      > Good car counts in 4 of 5 divisions with the late
      > models at 31, the IMCA type modifieds with 18, the
      > chargers with 27, street stocks totaled 23 and the
      > trucks were on the low side with 10. Racing started
      > exactly at 8 and moved straight through without
      > intermission. The main division which was the late
      > models were called to the post as the second main
      > event and checkered at 10:22. We liked the fact you
      > are not held hostage like at so many other tracks
      > and have to suffer through all the other divisions
      > before seeing what you really came to see. All the
      > racing was close and the late model feature went 50
      > laps in 33 minutes with only four cautions. Last
      > week's feature winner automatically starts 12th
      > (last) in the inversion and he charged to second at
      > the finish.
      >
      > Lowlights: Only one that we can think of and that
      > being too many classes (5). We enjoy a one or two
      > quality class show and not a two day marathon. We
      > watched three of the five features and hit the
      > parking lot at 10:50. Estimate that the entire show
      > was in the books by 11:30. Three and a half hours
      > for five divisions is excellent but not very
      > duplicatable at many other facilities.
      >
      > Comment/Rating: Motordrome Speedway is a top notch
      > facility and would get a 9 for the facility itself.
      > The rating for the racing would be around an 8.
      > This night would rate in the top three of asphalt
      > races seen on the 2000 Eckel Tour.
      >
      > The track food was sampled with a large fried fish
      > sandwich on a roll ($2.50) which was decent and
      > bottled water at $1.25 which was cold and
      > refreshing.

      =====
      Randy Lewis
      # 1 trackchaser West of the Mississippi, from San Clemente where the wind chill hovers around 72, all the women are good looking and the children are above average.

      http://im.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
        I think it interesting how we have lowered our expectations to coincide with the quality of short track racing in the current age. I don't suspect anyone from the northeast would have called an 18 car Modified count "good" in the 1960's, 1970's, or 1980's.

        Just me opinion.

        GuySmith
      • Randy Lewis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
          Here's my thought on the subject. I'd rather see a 40
          car field of great cars with lots of passing and the
          fastest cars starting in the back. At most tracks
          today you're not going to get that.

          That being the case I'd rather watch 10 street stocks
          battle it out on a 1/4 mile track racing three abreast
          and having five different leaders in a 10 lap heat
          race than watch 24 World of Outlaw sprinters run an A
          feature where the front row car wins and there's maybe
          1 or 2 passes for position among the top 10 OR watch
          43 Winston Cup cars race on a 2 1/2 mile track where
          you couldn't identify any of the cars when they are on
          the backstretch because they are so far away or see
          them when they are on the front straight because every
          idiot at a Winston Cup race stands up for 90% of the
          race, let alone the 2-3 hour in/out drive time in
          traffic with 90% of the people who are seeing their
          one of two races of the year. (yes, I know that was a
          run on sentence!)

          =====