[TrackChasers] aerial track shots

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2002
      Allan,

      I checked out the terraserver link you sent me for the Las Vegas tracks. I
      hadn't used this site for quite a while and I see they have made some
      improvements. It would be neat if you could pick different years from the
      past to look at other than their latest offering, to see how some tracks
      changed over the years.

      When I was at the Moose River, Maine, track last month I heard mention of
      snowmobile races. I wondered if they were held at the same track. I checked
      it out on the terraserver site and found the track was already there back in
      1997. It looks the same on the aerial shot as it does now. They call it
      Dennistown.
      http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&X=1999&Y=25292&Z=
      19&W=1&P=Dennistown,+Maine,+United+States&D=03+Jun+1997&O=4507022SE&Lon=-70.
      2852&Lat=45.6737

      Then I thought, I wonder if you can see the Corson's Crazy Corners track in
      St. Albans, Maine. I was there in 1995 and that may have been the track's
      last year. Sure enough, most of the track layout can be seen on the 1997
      terraserver shot.
      http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&X=2347&Y=24861&Z=
      19&W=1&P=2+km+E++of+St.+Albans,+Maine,+United+States&D=29+May+1997&O=4406905
      SE&Lon=-69.3863&Lat=44.9044

      Lots of neat tracks could be found on this site if one has lots of time to
      spend moving around and zooming in and out.

      --Will
    • Steve Williams
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2002
        > Lots of neat tracks could be found on this site if one has lots of
        time to
        > spend moving around and zooming in and out.
        >
        > --Will

        Will;
        I've got a good collection of PA tracks on Terraserver and have found
        some not listed in Allans book, done a little investigation and found
        they had racing. Any requests?

        Here's Rummages Grove between Berwick and Wilkes Barre, PA raced
        coupes in the 1950's. Ed Spencer and Harlan Croop raced here.
        http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
        S=10&T=1&X=2040&Y=22816&Z=18&W=1

        Circle M in Auburn, PA has been on the hitlist of our small group of
        PA trackhunters and not too far from you.
        http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
        S=10&T=1&X=2031&Y=22472&Z=18&W=2

        Some are only visible on the Topo Map portion.
        Nazareth, in Guy's backyard. (Have they gotten any tenants for the
        strip mall there?)
        http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
        S=12&T=2&X=591&Y=5636&Z=18&W=2

        Lancaster / Pequea Valley Speedway run by Hilly Rife
        http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
        S=12&T=2&X=490&Y=5527&Z=18&W=2

        Langhorne maybe on of PA most famous tracks is barely visible.
        http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
        S=10&T=1&X=2548&Y=22233&Z=18&W=2

        I have a bunch more.

        I've found that if you get an error message in Terraserver after a
        point & click on the highlighted text you need to highlight the rest
        of the address, clip and paste it at thr end of the Terraserver
        address.

        This is how I find them before I visit them.

        Steve Williams
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2002
          Steve,

          Have you found many defunct tracks in southeastern PA? I would think with
          the great amount of development over the past few decades it would be hard
          to find much around here.

          Allan,

          Have you visited many defunct track sites at non fairgrounds locations?

          --Will
        • Steve Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 10, 2002
            You are right SE PA has been tough. Most of the locations have come
            from oldtimers and from finding them on old USGS maps and photos
            available in their library in Harrisburg, PA.

            Some of the SE PA url's i have.

            DELCO (Location from and oldtimer and confirmed on an old map)
            Http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
            S=10&T=1&X=2323&Y=22051&Z=18&W=1

            SOUTHEAST AIRPORT
            Http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
            S=10&T=1&X=2432&Y=22079&Z=18&W=1

            There are others that I have but don't have url's because they are
            just buildings.

            Some of the old tracks sights I've been to are. (All in PA) Gold
            Mine, Circle-M, Mount Carbon, Berwick Beach Haven, Brandonville,
            Rummages Grove, Bowling Green, Lewisburg Fairgrounds, Montandon,
            Catawissa, Jack Watts Jalopy Track in Mazeppa, Lock Haven
            Fairgrounds, Tioga, Mansfield Fairgrounds, Muncy, Walnutdale (1-mile
            and 1/2 mile), Reedsville, Riverview, Harrisburg Fairgrounds,
            Altoona, Sunbury, Pocono Sunrise, Carrolltown, Dorney Park, Penn
            National, Blue Mountain, Nazareth, Lancaster/Pequea Valley, Reading
            Fairgrounds and Reading at the bandshell, Huntingdon, Ebensburg,
            Carlisle, York, Bloomsburg and Allentown Fairgrounds, as well as
            Hershey are obviously easy to find. Latrobe and Hesston when they
            were closed. I've also been to Green Pine and Kreamer dragstrips,
            Ber-Vaughn and Bloomsburg QM tracks. Been real close to Anthracite
            and Ft Lebanon but chose not to trespass on heavily posted land.

            In NJ, Trenton and Harmony.

            Here is an interesting URL
            Http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?
            S=11&T=1&X=1217&Y=11356&Z=18&W=1
            Its Stroudsburg Speedway. Promoted for a while by the Grbac family
            who also had Old Bridge and hosted stocks, midgets and URC. The
            airstrip runs right through the niddle but just to the north you can
            makeout turns 1 and 2.

            Steve Williams