Auto City

  • Allan Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12, 2000
      Randy,

      Sorry, we will not be the area when you are planning on going to Auto City.
      We'll be at Lakeside in KS that night. The only two nights we'll be in town
      for the Thursday night races at Auto City are the July dates, but I'd rather
      go there when the Auto Value Sprints are there.

      I'll agree with Gordy, I-94 near and east of the Illinois line is a major
      pain. Leave plenty of time. It sometimes depends when you are going thru it.
      Avoid 7am to 10am if you can. It's seems to be worse in the morning.

      I've tried using one of the sideroads one time, but there are so many
      traffic lights that it was just as slow. After about 10 miles, we got back
      on the e-way and we came back on, a motorhome that had been on the e-way
      with us was next to us again, so we hadn't gained anything.

      I went out golfing for the first time this year a couple of nights ago. My
      good friend Dan and I went after he got out of work. He used to be off every
      Wednesday, so we'd go a bunch during the summer. I checked my schedule and I
      won't be around on any weekend until the end of July at the earliest, so we
      decided to try golfing after the leagues. We got in 11 holes. I had three
      pars and the rest of the holes bogies or double-bogies. Not bad for the
      first time this year. I usually golf bogey golf, so I was content.

      Allan
    • Allan Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2000
        Randy,

        It will probably take you six to seven hours to get from O'Hare to Auto
        City. You can figure on getting to Flint 7:30 pm (Michigan Time) at the
        earliest. Its about 270 miles from the Illinois/Indiana border to Auto City.

        Have you got access to AAA or one of the other motoring clubs to find out
        what roads have road construction on? Try to find out if the Tri-State
        Tollway has construction, if so, avoid it for sure.

        At 1:30 on Thursday afternoon, I'd take the risk of running thru downtown
        Chicago. Take the J.F.K. Expressway to I-94 east (south of downtown its
        called the Dan Ryan Expressway). If you run into a bunch of traffic south of
        downtown take the Chicago Skyway (toll) towards Indiana, other wise just
        stay on I-94.

        If you are much later (2:30 or so) than that you'd better take the
        Tri-State Tollway. If you run into traffic in downtown, don't blame me,
        because you could run into trouble going around too. Hey what the heck
        you're used to L.A. traffic.

        Once you get to Indiana it should be clear sailing. Michigan's speed limit
        is 70. We usual run about 75. Running 80 could get you a ticket.

        I don't know what way your CD program tells you to go, but take I-94 to exit
        108 (just east of Battle Creek), then take I-69 north, which goes around the
        west side of Lansing (watch for signs saying Flint) to exit 133 (SW side of
        Flint), then north on I-75 and follow our directions, or go farther north on
        I-75 to exit 131 (SR 57), go east to SR 54 ( I think 54 is Dixie Highway),
        then south just a little over a mile. Saginaw Road can be slow going at
        times. Quite a few traffic lights. If you look at a big map of Michigan you
        can see right where the track is located. The road heading straight north
        from Mt. Morris is Saginaw Hwy. The track is just north of the junction of
        the angle road that Saginaw dead ends into. It's on the west side of the
        road.

        Allan
      • Allan Brown
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 2002
          Auto City is running an occasion Double O feature.

          Allan
        • RPMGORDY@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 2002
            Hello, all. Just thought I'd add my two cents about the DC race. It was definately one of the hottest days I've ever spent at the races. After having worked 8 hours in that heat and then driving 3 hours to DC and then sitting through that Trans-Am race, I was pretty whupped. The highlight of the day might've been boarding the air-conditioned shuttle bus after the race. What a hoot seeing Guy and Pam being the last 2 people to board the bus after running into no one at the race itself. Suz and I sat in grandstand 6 and watched the same screen Randy did, yet never saw Allan and Andy standing under it. So close and yet so far. The racing was just awful, the heat worse and the total expense making me quite sure this won't be an annual event for me if it's continued. Had I known you could see better where Guy and Will were, I would've gone there, but the heat and the fact that we'd already walked so far from where we got off the bus to where we sat made us just stay put and hope it would end quickly. They also checked our tickets as we entered the grandstand which led me to believe you couldn't venture into other stands. I thought Suz was going to pass out when they corralled us behind that gate to let cars enter and exit the track. Being vertically challenged she wasn't getting much air down there. Tired as we were, the double beckoned and we drove south into VA where I finally got King George Speedway in it's paved form. It's a 1/6th mile kart track that Guy and I got as dirt years ago. Attempts to get the paved version were fruitless until Saturday. I didn't even know if they were running, but I figured I wouldn't get any closer any time soon on a Saturday so I just went. We got there at the 7:00 starting time to find the driver's meeting in progress. Fifteen minutes later the only countable class, the champkarts, were the first race of the evening. I was happier than a pig in shit as I pulled that deep thorn out of my side while downing 2 excellent track burgers. Being the first class in the rotation made for the earliest possible departure and we headed for the nearest motel, an excellent Holiday Inn Express, a couple miles up the road. As early as it still was the long day had taken it's toll and a motel bed has rarely felt so good. With no admission taken at King George it was cheaper to watch the races there and buy us both supper than it was to park in DC. The racing was pretty good too as 10 champkarts put on a decent race. As Bruce Eckel would say, "It wasn't a bad show." Tommorrow I'm off to Lernerville for a WoO show. No racing this weekend as Suz and I head to Bay Shore, Long Island, home of #1 trackchaser, Rick Schneider, for a surprise 50th birthday party for a friend of ours. Allan, Bedford the following Tuesday is a possibility. Adios, mi amigos.               Gordy