Adirondack International Speedway

  • Andy Sivi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2002

      Hello Everyone,

      On Sunday, July 7th I went to the 1/2 mile Adirondack International Speedway, New Bremen, NY to see a 150 lap Modified race which was a qualifier for the Race of Champions. Originally I had expected to be at Eagle Speedway, Irving, NY. I called Eagle on Wednesday, July 3rd to see if they were running on the 7th. They said they were but for the previous 2 Sundays they had no spectators so they had no racing. However, for the 7th they expected both spectators and racecars. I decided on an alternative race.

      Adirondack is a very wide 1/2 mile but is too circular for good racing. In order to pass cars the "chrome horn" was used a lot. The 50 lap feature for 25 Late Models lasted one hour and 20 minutes because they counted only green flag laps and there were many, many cautions. Fortunately the 150 lap feature for 26 Modifieds  counted caution laps. It only lasted about the same length of time as the 50 lap Late Model race.

      Adirondack is still a work in progress, with port-a-johns and a nonworking score board. The unfinished .9 mile oval provided clouds of dust when the cars spun onto it. The crowd was not very large and I hope they have enough funds to finish the facility.

      Andy Sivi