Guy & Gordy Weekend

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 1969
      Hi Guys:

      It was another weekend on the road for Guy and AilingGordy. I took a personal day Friday, and AilingGordy had an early CAT Scan. That allowed us an opportunity to head to Ohio and the newly reopened Cannonball Speedway.

      Basically, this was a good show. They did a nice job redoing the track, as well as the rest of the grounds. Viewing and refreshments are both good. They were very organized, and started the show right on time. They also ran the Late Model feature first, which is something I feel is important for a track to do (run the top class feature first, that is). The Late Model field was decent, with 23 cars on hand.

      On the downside, the track was hardly watered at all. It was dusty from the first time trial lap, and they never added a single drop all night. The car counts in the three support classes were small, but as I didn't care about them that was actually a plus for me. Weekly time trials for Late Models are a deterrent, as that means the fast guys start up front for the feature. Mark Banal started on the pole and won. The main drawback was that after the heats the lights went out in turn three. By the time they got that straightened out, the lights in turn one were out. They had no idea what to do. It looked like they were going to cancel, until they figured out that while they were trying to fix turn three lights they accidently turned out turn one. It was about a 70 minute delay, but with the Late Models first their feature was still over by 10:15

      Saturday afternoon we went to see the Detroit Tigers play the Chisox at the Tigers new stadium. $12 for a reserved seat with an individual chair with a back and a cupholder. Makes me think the NASCAR tracks with their $75 , 18 inch bleacher seat with no back can go pound sand. And you can see better, too.

      Saturday night we went to M-40, MI. Auto Value Sprints were supposed to be there but were not. Good track, very nice track and facility. We met Allan and Nancy Brown. Very well run show, good racing. Enjoyable.

      Only negative was that the Sprints were not there as was on the schedule, and the car count was small. The Late Models had the biggest car count of the three classes with 14. All three features over by 9:30.

      We scurried to Mottville as AilingGordy needed that track, too. We got there at intermission and saw all three Stock Car features. Crowd and car counts were pathetic. They had 15 TOTAL cars in three classes, and 50-75 fans total. We got there at 10:00 for a show that started at 7:30 and they still hadn't run a feature with only 15 cars? WHAT THE HECK WERE THEY DOING FOR 2 1/2 HOURS? If your dream (nightmare) was always to go to Mottville, better go soon. This is a dying track. Odd that they run both Saturday and Sunday almost every weekend. They have 70 shows scheduled this year. July 4th weekend they run four days straight. Why run twice a week when you have no more than six cars in any of your three classes? Makes no sense to me.

      Read more about the weekend in Roaming the Raceway.

      Oh well, AilingGordy got Mottville, so he was happy. Hurting, but happy. Gordy now has 729 tracks, 25 behind Allan. Looks like a summer battle is brewing. Gordy is motivated. Ailing, but motivated nonetheless. 673 for Guy. I'm going to try to make 700 by the end of the year.

      Anyone hear from or see Rick? Where's he been this year? How many new ones so far? Anyone?

      New track in Mass. this weekend for Guy. Probably another multi-new weekend for AilingGordy. Bye all.

      GuySmith
      RTR
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2000
        Hello TrackChasers:

        Guy & Gordy took their traditional Easter Weekend trip to the southeast.
        Since Gordy couldn't leave until after work Saturday morning, I was
        contemplating going on Friday morning by myself this year. I decided to wait
        for Gordy. Luckily (for me--not Gordy), Gordy hurt his leg and couldn't work
        this week. It meant that he could leave Friday morning, but it also meant
        that I had to do most of the driving. I have a tooth that is killing me
        (root canal tomorrow) so we were quite the sorry bunch. Ah, but the sign of
        a true TrackChasing champion is that they are willing to play hurt.

        Friday. Went to Thunder Valley, NC. Disappointed in the track because it is
        fairly new and they host big races for Sprints and Have A Tampa. Place is a
        dump with almost no seats (lucky if it seats over 400). Plus, it was dusty
        and admission was $14. Still too many classes and not enough cars in most.

        On the plus side, they had a surprisingly strong field of Late Models. The
        track is shaped pretty good, and for the south it was well run, starting just
        a little late, no time trials, and taking a fairly short intermission.

        Saturday Afternoon. Went to Fireball, NC for their third show ever.
        Gorgeous place. Paved quarter mile, everything first class. They have a
        Legend and Bandalero dealership on the premesis with a complete showroom and
        parts department. Everything paved, even the pits. Indoor cafeteria. Well
        run show. Very fan and family friendly facility.

        On the downside, their were few cars in the various spec classes, which is to
        be expected since this is a new track. I think the most in any class was 8
        Mini Cups. Admission was $8, too much for the little racing presented.

        Bizzarre. The Bandalero winner said he might not be back for a few weeks due
        to TV committments. (!) And how about this gem to show how racing is out of
        control: "This Mini Cup caution period is sponsored by ......."

        Note: The 1999 Directory lists the track as a 1/4 and 1/5 mile ovals. The
        1/5 is only used for children's classes of karts. Even the adult kart
        classes run on the big track. Karts run Friday nights, cars Saturday.

        Saturday Night. Went to Laurens, SC. Typical southern dirt track. Run
        down, unorganized, started late, lousy caution-filled racing, ran until after
        midnight, run by idiots. Sign said no passouts or readmissions, i.e., a
        prison. Sit on concrete slabs.

        Surpsisingly good surface, and another good Late Model car count. Gordy said
        it's because many of the tracks have switched to steel heads. I think they
        had 21 Late Models, none of which I had ever heard of nor want to know.
        Again no time trials.

        Sunday morning. Carolina Motorsports Park, SC. Went to Kershaw for the SCCA
        National races. Got there at 10:30, found that this is a non-spectator
        event, which they never said on their website or told me the two times I
        called to try to get information. Went to the office and put ourselves at
        their mercy. When we explained we came from PA, they let us in free as
        guests of SCCA. All that took time and we missed the final morning feature
        and had to sit through the lunch break.

        Nice facility, everything brand new. Hard to see though, because it is all
        very flat and they don't mow the grass in the track infield.

        Sunday Afternoon. Screwed by a southern Bumblefuck promoter. Got a free
        racing paper at Thunder Valley. Had an ad for a race at State-Line, NC on
        Sunday at 2:00. Drove several hours out of our way to get there at 3:00.
        Got there and found the place empty. No explanation. We didn't call because
        the paper with the track's ad was just printed Thursday, and the weather was
        perfect. Just what I wanted, 14 hours of driving Sunday instead of just 12.
        By the way, this is one of the most decrepid, run-down dumps you've ever
        seen. Kinda like Harris, which is just up the road. They claim to be
        running an Enduro this Sunday, if anyone is interested.

        Read more about the weekend in Roaming the Raceways.

        Current Totals: #3 Gordy--726 tracks #4 (?--Jack) Guy--671 tracks

        Respectfully submitted,

        GuySmith