Track # 131- Niagara Falls , NY

  • dryslick86
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2002
      Here's my somewhat late report on saturday's action at the Niagara
      Falls Convention Center. I arrived in town a couple hours before the
      race and checked in at the Holiday Inn select directly across the
      street from the venue. I walked over, bought a ticket, and then
      wanted to walk around a little. The first thing I noticed was that
      the town of Niagara Falls, (or at least this part of it) is pretty
      much abandoned. I took a quick look at the falls earlier in the day
      before driving by the hotel, but when walking around the hotel in a 3
      block radius noted way more empty store fronts than occupied ones. I
      eventually walked back to the hotel and asked the front desk if there
      was a Mcdonalds or something close by. They advised everything was at
      least a 5 minute drive away. About 45 minutes before race time I
      walked across the street, and entered the arena. I purchased an
      informative program book for only $2-pretty good. I chose to sit all
      the way at the top in the section that appeared least crowded as I
      was by myself. The announcer advised there would be an autograph
      session at 630, and I figured that with all the drivers bringing
      their cars onto the track there was no way the races would start on
      time at 7. I was wrong. After strolling around the concrete arena
      floor with coke syrup on the surface, I bought a quick hotdog, and
      the national anthems were about to start-at 655pm. The indoor venue
      featured decent racing, and was professionally run. The announcers
      were good, and the fumes were not that bad, even at the top of the
      building(smoke rises). They did take a few intermissions, but the
      intermissions were short in nature. There was not a ton of passing,
      but it was actually better than I expected on a tight 1/8 mile flat
      oval. The field was a good one, with super modified and other open
      wheel drivers thrown in with the regular tq guys. Some of the names
      included Greg Furlong, Lou Cicconi, Mark Sammut, and Chuck Hossfeld,
      who put on a super charge in the last 5 laps of the b-main, having
      never run a tq before. The racing was intense, but so was the
      crashing. There were several multi-car pile ups with cars sliding
      into the foam walls(luckily), and a few tense moments hoping everyone
      was ok. The wrecks were very hard for indoors. The main drawback, in
      my opinion, was that there were too many go-karts. There were 6
      seperate kart features, and they seemed to crash just as hard as the
      TQs. The event was very well run, however, and the racing was pretty
      good. The final checkered fell at 1050,with Dave Wollaber taking the
      win over Furlong.After exiting the building while the police were
      arresting a guy in the lobby I made it to my 6th floor Holiday Inn
      room at exactly 11pm. Based on the way the rest of the town looks,
      I'm not sure how long these events will last at Niagara Falls, as the
      place is pretty much a ghost town, but I am glad I made the trip. I
      saw Guy sitting down by turn 1, but didn't see him till I was
      leaving. As for the road trip to Dayton in March, I would love to go,
      but already have my trip to Hawaii booked for then.It sounds like fun
      though. That's It, Later-Andy Ritter
    • mikey14j127j@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
        Andy-
        I wonder if the guy you saw getting arrested was with the group of minors
        who brought their own "beverages"with them. I sat behind them in turn 4 for a
        while before making my way to the top for the feature. I'm concerned as well
        for the future of these events. With Nabisco closing the
        Triscuit/shreddedWheat plant I'm sure those storefronts won't be filled
        soon.I sent you an e-mail a few weeks back with offline series for DTR. If
        you're interested in some for the sprint car as well I've got some.
        Mike
      • dryslick86
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2002
          -Mike-good to hear a somewhat local person's point of view on the
          town of Niagara Falls. I've never been there before but am sure it
          was once prosperous. Like you said, the future doesn't look good. As
          for the DTR stuff, I tried out the series you told me about and a few
          others. A DIRT mod series was posted on fireondirt.com. Good stuff
          Thanks-Andy Ritter