Re: [TrackChasers] ice racing

    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
      Rick:

      These are the Quebec locations that Will and I found that had ice racing in
      2001.

      CIRCUIT BERTRAND FABI, SHERBROOKE
      LAC ST LOUIS, LACHINE MARINA
      MAPLE GROVE, LERY
      OLYMPIC BASIN, ILE NOTRE DAME
      ST. EULALIE
      ST. GUILLIUME
      SHAWINIGAN SUD GRAND PRIX
      CIRCUIT JACQUES RAINVILLE, QUEBEC CITY
      LAC MORIN

      We went to the later two last year.

      This year Will found Bassin Louise du Vieux Port de Quebec. It is not in
      Montreal, it is in Quebec City but it is not the same as Jacques Rainville.
      That one and the one in Sherbrooke at the end of February are the only two
      that I have seen confirmed dates for in 2002. I'm sure Will will find more.

      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
        Bruce:

        The AMEC NY ice race schedule is available on their website, which you can
        link to from Will's. I have been to all their tracks/lakes already so I am
        not monitoring them much. I did look and saw their opener for today was
        canceled due to lack of ice, but they are optomistic that if it stays cold
        they will be able to go next week, probably at Wells.

        GuySmith
        RTR
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
          Bruce & Rick,

          There are no "definite" dates in NY ice racing. They come up with a schedule, then a few
          days before the event they go and check to see if the ice is thick enough on that lake
          (insurance requires the ice to be at least 12" to race). If the conditions aren't good,
          then they look at some of their other lakes for a possible alternate choice. You usually
          can't be sure which lake they will run until hours before the event.

          In Quebec, they have at least a couple ovals that run weekly or every other week. They
          have a better chance of running but can still have a late cancellation (like when we
          went to St-Guillaume last February, the conditions were too extreme). The Sherbrooke
          weekend is a big international event and takes place even in "warm" weather. They ran a
          couple of races 2 years ago when the temps got up near 60. Obviously you can't do that
          on a lake though. Sherbrooke must be on frozen ground like Minden, ON, which by the way
          runs weekly Saturdays and Sundays (at least they used to).

          Here is the tentative schedule for the AMEC club in eastern NY.
          ---------------------------------
          January 6, 2002- - - Cancelled
          *January 13, 2002 - - - Lake Algonquin, Wells, NY
          *January 20, 2002 - - - Caroga Lake, NY
          *January 27, 2002 - - - Caroga Lake, NY
          *February 3, 2002 - - - Warners Lake, East Berne, NY
          *February 9 &10, 2002 - - - Lake George Winter Carnival, NY
          *February 17, 2002 - - Warners Lake, East Berne, NY
          *February 24, 2002 - - - Round Lake, NY
          *March 3, 2002 - - - Warners Lake, East Berne, NY
          *Additional Saturday Dates May Be Added If Weather Conditions Dictate A Shorter Than
          Usual Racing Season.

          Contacts:
          President Dave Burnham -- Phone, Day or Evening 518-875-6956, E-Mail daveb@...
          Vice-President Claude Hutchings -Phone 315-839-5064 days or 315-839-6086 evenings,
          E-Mail claudeh@...
          Bruce Carlton -- Phone, Days 518-885-5329, Evenings 518-885-5048, E-Mail
          brucec@...
          ---------------------------------
          Of the lakes listed, Guy has all of them. I still need Caroga and George. The nice thing
          about AMEC is that they put alot of updated info on their Web site,
          http://www.icerace.com/.

          On the other hand, the CNYIRA, which runs in central/western NY, rarely updates
          anything. They have nothing on their 2002 season at their site, http://www.cnyira.com/.
          No contact numbers on their site (Guy should have one though). This club is almost
          painful to watch as they only have a few cars and run big road course races.

          In Quebec, the FAQ run smaller road courses and have more competitors. They travel to a
          few different locations each winter and actually have large crowds of spectators. I
          haven't found a schedule for them this year yet. I did find a listing for 4 days of ice
          racing at the Bassin Louise du Vieux Port. Rick, this one is in Quebec City, not
          Montreal. I don't know whether or not it is run by the FAQ, but they often move to
          different locations in the Quebec City area, so I'm guessing this one replaces last
          year's Vanier site. I found the schedule at http://www.quebecplus.ca/profile/176828/. It
          reads Sat. 1/19-3:00 pm; Sun. 1/27-noon; Sat. 2/16-noon; Sun. 2/17-noon.

          The Circuit Bertrand Fabi in Sherbrooke is a big deal with advance ticket sales and many
          thousands of spectators. They have a comprehensive Web site at
          http://challengecanada.com The dates for that are Feb. 22-24.

          I just found this one now as I was rechecking the Fete des Neiges (Montreal Snow
          Festival) site at http://www.fetedesneiges.com/fdn/en/. I don't know if I missed it
          before or if they just put the 2002 schedule on.
          ----------------------------------
          Championnat du Québec de courses sur glace AUTO-QUÉBEC
          February 3 and 4, starting at 10:30 a.m.
          **Because of last year's great success at la Fête, the Championnat du Québec de courses
          sur glace AUTO-QUÉBEC is back to thrill spectators with its unique car race. More than
          50 competitors are expected at the Olympic Basin on Notre-Dame Island. For over 25
          years, this spectacular race has been testing the skills of such highly qualified
          drivers as Mario Poulin, Yves Legris and Steve Godbout.
          ---------------------------------
          Finally (for now), I found the dates for the Grand Prix du Shawinigan Sud. This is a
          big week of snowmobile races, motorcycle races, and (hopefully still) car races. I
          haven't seen anywhere yet that they are actually still having the car races though. The
          dates go from 2/16 through 2/24. The snowmobile races are on the 23rd and 24th, so if
          they have the cars I don't know if they would be the first weekend or be with the
          snowmobiles.

          Unfortunately the Quebec Stock Car site is closed indefinitely at this time. They not
          only covered dirt track racing but also the oval ice racing, such as Mont Carmel, which
          was running weekly last year. I'll have to keep digging for that one. I'm sure there are
          probably a number of other tracks running in Quebec in the winter.

          Will
        • stox@ican.net
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
            thanks Guy and Will for the ice racing info.
            I`m getting racing "withdrawal symptoms" up here in Eastern
            Ontario....hopefully some of those dates will give me the "fix" I
            need.
            cheers Rick
          • Bruce Eckel
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
              Guy, Thanks for the info. Maybe thinking about Wells or Caroga Lake. Or
              who knows maybe a Niagara, Caroga Lake January double weekend.
              ce ---- Original Message -----
              > The AMEC NY ice race schedule is available on their website, which you can
              > link to from Will's. I have been to all their tracks/lakes already so I
              am
              > not monitoring them much. I did look and saw their opener for today was
              > canceled due to lack of ice, but they are optomistic that if it stays cold
              > they will be able to go next week, probably at Wells.
              >
              > GuySmith
              > RTR
              >

              > Community email addresses:
              > Post message: TrackChasers@egroups.com
              > Subscribe: TrackChasers-subscribe@egroups.com
              >
              > Shortcut URL to this page:
              > http://www.egroups.com/community/TrackChasers

            • Bruce Eckel
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 6, 2002
                Will, Really appreciate the detail on all the ice racing clubs. Possibly
                thinking about Wells or Caroga Lake. Thanks again. Bruce

                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                  I found a schedule for some road course ice racing in Quebec. This came from the
                  flaggers association. Rick, do you know where St-Ferdinand is located? That will be a
                  new location for our list.

                  *Sun. 1/13 -- Lachine (rescheduled for 2/9)
                  Sat. 1/19--Quebec City (afternoon and evening)
                  Sun. 1/27--Quebec City
                  Sat. 2/2 --St-Ferdinand
                  Sat. 2/9 --Lachine
                  Sun. 2/10--Lachine
                  Sat. 2/16--Quebec City
                  Sun. 2/17--Quebec City
                  Fri. 2/22--Sherbrooke
                  Sat. 2/23--Sherbrooke
                  Sun. 2/24--Sherbrooke

                  Throw in these 2 others:
                  Sat. 2/2 --Montreal
                  Sun. 2/3 --Montreal
                  and we have a pretty good line-up for Quebec. I'm still hoping to find some oval races
                  to add to that though.

                  Will
                • stox@ican.net
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                    Will......
                    I had`nt heard of St Ferdinand, but looked it up on my map of
                    Quebec and managed to locate it...... There is a "St Ferdinand" out
                    in the "boonies" between Sherbrooke and Quebec City....It`s on the
                    265 between Plessiville and Thetford Mines....
                    hope it`s the place you`re looking for
                    Rick
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                      Rick,

                      Thanks for locating St-Ferdinand. You must have a better map than I do. Is that at Lac
                      Williams?

                      Will
                    • stox@ican.net
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 9, 2002
                        Will.. St Ferdinand appeared on one of my older maps,
                        but on a more recent map, the more prominent "town" down that
                        road, came up as Bernierville...... and there is a Lake Williams
                        close by..
                        sorry I can`t be more help at the moment.....
                        Rick
                      • stox@ican.net
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jan 10, 2002
                          Will......
                          Today I recieved in the post the calender for 2002 Quebec Ice
                          Racing Championship from the FEDERATION AUTO QUEBEC...

                          Regarding ..St Ferdinand ... It says = Bernierville....

                          They also list some non-championship events, and there are
                          a couple of places mentioned, I don`t think you have....

                          It says... Riviere-du-Loup....03 - 02.....regional race
                          and St-Jean-Port-Joli....03- 03.....regional race

                          Most of the stuff I recieved was in French, and my command of the
                          language is very limited so ca`nt tell you much more at the moment
                          Rick
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 10, 2002
                            Rick,

                            Thanks for the Quebec info. As I suspected there is more ice racing in that province and
                            I don't know if we'll ever find it all.

                            Will
                          • Rick Young
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 19, 2007
                              Will

                              I passed thru Beauharnois last week and the ice was just starting to form although a few parts of the St Lawrence are already frozen. With the early start to winter this year, I would be very surprised if it wasnt ready for the opener.

                              For anyone interested , the Brockville Ontario Speedway have another winter enduro scheduled for New Years Day.

                              As for the ice racing dates already posted, I think there's a good possiblity of getting a few early season new tracks

                              Rick

                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 19, 2007
                                Rick,

                                Did you see the ACGQ schedule? None of us have St-Ferdinand which is on
                                Feb. 17 and you need Beauport on Feb. 23. They also have multiple dates
                                at St-Edouard, Lac Morin and Lac Mirage. The first two weeks at
                                St-Edouard are Saturday night shows. Brrrrrr!!!!!

                                Will

                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 19, 2007
                                  Will,

                                  Yes I did see it Will, There are quite a few new ice tracks I could pick up this year, but I'm trying to save a bit of cash for a trip back to the UK in September for the BriSCA F1 World Final at Ipswich, so I might have to cut down a bit. My priorities are Khanawaki ( 19/20 Jan) Roxton Pond (26/27 Jan) and Lac Williams (17 Feb) I also heard that Watkins Glen might be putting on some ice racing ( 9/10 Feb)

                                  http://www.eset.com

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 23, 2007
                                    TrackChasers

                                    This posting is to announce the results of the Mission Statement proposal made by Allan Brown...Allan sent the ballots to Pam and myself for counting...We both want to thank Allan for the trust that he showed in us to count the ballots

                                    Of the 23 eligible voters, 21 returned ballots...one ballot was returned without a vote, so 20 people actually voted

                                    Here is the Mission Statement as proposed by Allan

                                    A trackchaser is simply a person who has the opportunity to view or participate in auto racing at various facilities...The basic requirement of being a trackchaser is that a person has to be an auto racing fan or an auto racing competitor

                                    This group was formed as a democracy and only rules approved by the elibible voters can be enforced

                                    Each individual trackchaser has the sole discretion as to include or not a specific countable track to his or her list

                                    Trackchasing is not meant to be competition...There are no prizes or rewards for being a trackchaser other than the opportunity to watch or participate in auto racing at different tracks, as well as the friendships of the race fans and competitors that we meet along the way...Enjoy the journey

                                    The Mission Statement proposal passed by a vote of 14 yes to 6 no

                                    Sincerely

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 9, 2008
                                      Since there are at least a couple of you who may be interested in going
                                      to this I thought I'd post the times. The ACGQ has ice races scheduled
                                      for the next two Saturdays, January 12 + 19, behind the bar Relais Hamel
                                      in Saint-Édouard-de-Lotbinière in Québec. Guy and I were there last year
                                      and it was the scene of my 100th Canadian track.

                                      First round of heats between 3:45 and 5:15, supper break from 5:15 to
                                      6:30, second round of heats between 6:30 and 8:00, features between 8:15
                                      and 10:00.
                                      The track is about a fifth mile course. It even has bleachers.

                                      Will
                                    • Rick Young
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 9, 2008
                                        Will ,

                                        I would reccomend anyone thinking of travelling to check the web sites first.

                                        I had a wasted journey to Beauharnois this past weekend ... it was suposed to be the opener but there was nothing doing.

                                        Problem is, the big rise in temperatures we've been having... from minus 20 centigrade two weeks ago, to four days of above zero. ( plus 10 one day this week... I even thought of wearing my shorts and T shirt for work ! )

                                        The only track I heard that has been running is Lac Morin

                                        It's a pain... I've gone 9 days into this new year and aint seen any racing yet.

                                        Rick