Track #413 TMS.....It wasn't easy

  • Randy Lewis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2000
      Track #413 Texas Motor Speedway, Fort Worth, Texas

      Most of today was spent as Texas Motor Speedway for
      the NASCAR Busch stock car race. The all day forecast
      was for rain and it didn't disappoint. I got to the
      track at 10 a.m. for the noon start. TMS has had a
      reputation for very bad traffic although it wasn't bad
      today with a crowd of about 125,000. I committed to
      not entering the track until just before the race
      started because I was going to get a ticket from a
      scalper and didn't want to buy one too early and then
      have the show rained out. I stuck to my plan and
      bought a $45 face value ticket for $35 at 11:55 a.m.
      The seat was at the end of pit road in the 28th row.
      This is about half way up but is excellent because as
      you enter the track through a tunnel row 28 is just
      below the tunnel so all of the people traffic is
      behind you not in front. The race started at noon but
      on lap 19 at 12:25 p.m. the rains came and a rain
      delay of 4 1/2 hour ensued. At about 5 p.m. the race
      began again and ended at about 7:30 p.m., under the
      lights, with Mark Martin winning.

      Positives

      There were a ton of souvenir trailers if that is your
      bag. There were more than I can ever remember. I
      would estimate 75-100. The track is first class. The
      seating on the front stretch runs from the middle of
      turn 3 and 4 to the middle of turns 1 and 2. They
      have a big screen jumbotron at the start finish line
      which shows the TV feed. Radio transmission of the
      event is good in the stands. It's not at lots of
      NASCAR events. My ticket price, even at the face
      value, was reasonable for this type of event. I was
      wearing my Eldora Speedway jacket and because of that
      ran into a couple of guys from Pittsburgh. Spent a
      long time during the rain delay talking with them
      about Eldora, etc.

      Negatives

      The race program for both Saturday and Sunday combined
      cost $10. To add insult to injury they were selling a
      plastic zip lock bag to keep the program dry for $3!!
      As in tradition the entire crowd stood up for the
      start and all restarts for at least 10 laps. Unless
      you are following a car by color you can only identify
      a car for about half way around the track. When they
      are on the back stretch or in the opposite turn you
      can't tell who is who. Sort of like road racing in
      not be able to see the entire circuit. I had to park
      about a 10-15 minute walk from the track entrance.
      Tomorrow's Winston Cup event is supposed to have
      200,000 folks compared to today's paltry turnout of
      125,000. Again a 20 Diet Coke cost $3.00 and a Dove
      bar $3.50. The cheesburger although $5.00 was large.
      As you can see I'm on a health kick!

      =====
      Randy Lewis
      # 1 trackchaser West of the Mississippi, from San Clemente where the wind chill hovers around 72, all the women are good looking and the children are above average.

      http://im.yahoo.com