Rick--922

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001

      Rick started the year with 841 lifetime tracks. He added 49 new ovals or
      road courses this year. He also went to 21 Figure 8 tracks, 14 new and 7 old
      ones revisited. Rick, like myself, are the two that voted against retro
      counting and we are both trying to revisit as many as possible to better
      legitimize them in our own minds. Rick then added 11 retro Figure 8 tracks,
      to bring his total to 922 by my count. He needs 78 in 2002 to reach 1000.
      Can ne do it?

      GuySmith
    • RRodda1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        Unfortunately, I just missed by minutes meeting Rick at Pecatonica, IL this
        past summer. Someone told me the closest "traditional" (not on ice, not a
        temporary setup, etc) new track to his home is now over 1,000 miles away.
        With the long, cold winter ahead (or fairly short, cool winter in CA), I can
        see a whole new category emerging....what is the closest "traditional" track
        to your home that you have not seen countable racing?

        We threw my plans on being a fulltime race/track chaser for a big portion of
        2002 out the window by signing for our new post-retirement home much earlier
        than planned. So instead of being blissfully homeless while it is being
        built and roaming the earth chasing races and tracks, the darn thing will be
        done 10 days before this school year is over. There were just too many perks
        available to pass up. Ron R
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
          Ron Rodda wrote:

          Someone told me the closest "traditional" (not on ice, not a
          > temporary setup, etc) new track to (Rick Schneider's) home is now over 1,000 miles
          away.

          I'm not sure about domestically, but Rick still needs about 30 "traditional" Canadian
          tracks within 1000 miles of his home. He only has 4 Quebec tracks and nothing in the
          Atlantic provinces yet. Nonetheless, it's true that Rick is at the point where he needs
          something like the abundance of figure 8s and other "finds" to keep getting big numbers.
          He may even break down and hit some ice races in the next few winters. His chances of
          seeing the magic 1000 next year look pretty slim.

          --Will