Guy, possible retro track to add from '68

  • cawh2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2014

      whilst going through my programmes i looked at the Jersey C I from '68 when i went to St.Ouens Bay and i noticed that the last race on each division was on an advertised chicane course as against the oval that they had been racing on would this count as a road course as there would have been left and right turns

      Sorry it took so long only 46 years lol

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2014
        Colin:

        Indeed a chicane road circuit would count as a different track at the St. Ouens Bay race location.

        The concern is there seems to be no certainty that the chicane course races were held for sure, and if they were, if you were there at the end of the meeting to see them.  Just because an event was scheduled doesn't mean it was held.  There have certainly been enough occasions when we have gone to tracks that had a figure-8 race on the night's schedule but it was not held due to no driver signing up to compete in that event.

        It seems as if you do not actually recall seeing such a road circuit event, as evidenced by the fact that for over a decade in the group, you never submitted this track to either Will or I for inclusion on your track list.  It has only now been mentioned as a "possible" track to add only after seeing that it had been "scheduled" for that day 46 years ago.  I wonder if the unofficial "statute of limitations" should have run out after 46 years, since without remembering seeing any racing on it, it does not seem clear how you could determine if you actually did so.

        However, my role is only to determine whether or not a track should count based on configuration and what raced there.  There is no way I can determine if such a one-off event took place that long ago, let alone if you were there to see it.  There is no after-the-event evidence that it did not take place.

        As I tried to remind the group when a call was made to remove Edward's track in the Bahamas last December, or to have some sort of a group vote on whether to let him count it or not, that is not the way our group is set up to operate.  We operate as friends on the honor system and take people at their word that they actually saw competitive wheel to wheel racing at the tracks they submit to add to their track lists.  The number of contacts received saying this person cheats or that person cheats is without question the most disappointing aspect of facilitating the group, save for the possibility that people might really actually cheat for something that is nothing more than a hobby for fun.

        If you post on this listserve that you feel confident enough to satisfy yourself that you saw a road circuit race at St. Ouens Bay 46 years ago, I will certainly add it to your track list.  The final determination as to whether you feel that way has to come from you.

        whilst going through my programmes i looked at the Jersey C I from '68 when i went to St.Ouens Bay and i noticed that the last race on each division was on an advertised chicane course as against the oval that they had been racing on would this count as a road course as there would have been left and right turns
        Sorry it took so long only 46 years lol

      • colin herridge
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2014
          Guy,
          I would agree that i don't remember whether or not they raced on the chicane course as back then a race was a race but i have recorded the results for that and every race, for cars and bikes who also raced on the chicane course that day so i feel fairly confident that race took place.
          Colin

          P.S. i was just watching the motors tv channel and they interviewed Maurice O'Reilly a New Zealand driver who stated he has raced at 94 tracks i have found him on facebook and have messaged him to see if he will provide a list and also whether or not he has seen racing at any other tracks.