2014 TrackChaser Report #37--Rudskogen Motorsenter, Rakkestad, Norway

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 25 2:42 AM

      On Sunday we attended our second race in Norway.  Saturday's race was a rallycross event, but this one was a road racing event at the Rudskogen Motorsenter, the top paved road circuit in the country.  The track has been around for a long time, but had been closed for a couple years for refurbishment, and it looks great.

      Before last weekend, our group had only ever had two track visits to Norway, one by Will White and one by Roland Vanden Eynde.  With Roland, Pam, and myself each adding two more, that total has quadrupled to eight at four tracks.  Roland now has seen racing at three tracks in Norway.  Surprisingly, none of our research group project drivers have ever raced in Norway, at least that we know of.  That may change as racing on Sunday was Jan Magnussen, one of the drivers who's track list has been worked on but has not yet reached 100 tracks.  His list is in the 90's and he is inching ever closer to 100 tracks.  Those that have followed his career know he is the kind of versatile driver I admire, having raced Formula One, Indy Car, NASCAR Cup, Sports Car, and Endurance racing during his career.  His son Kevin is currently in Formula One, which may lead to additional new track opportunities for Jan.

      Admission price was the same as yesterday, 100 Norwegian Krone's.  Norway does not use the Euro.  100 Krone's is equivalent to $16.36 US Dollars.  Today, there was also a 50 Krone parking charge.  A free program was again included.  This was the second day of a two-day show.

      Speaking of Krone's, food is about four times more expensive in Norway as in the US.  Norway is the most expensive country in Europe, except for perhaps Iceland.  Using the Big Mac Index to compare burgernomics, a Big Mac or a Quarter Pounder cost 89 Krone's in Lillehammer, equal to USD $14.51 for a sandwich.

      This was a national event for both the Norwegian and the Danish Touring Car Championship.  In addition to that featured class, there were four other groups racing a total of nine races.

      The track is a 1.9 km paved road circuit that opened in 1990.  There were stands on both ends, and you could see a surprisingly large amount of the track from either set.  There were a number of spectators, but only a few hundred.  Once again it was cold, but not like the day before at the rallycross race.

      Before the races we headed inside to the snack bar.  Pam and I tried the fries, while Roland, for the second day in a row, surprised us and went with the track hot dog.

      First up was the NTCC/DTC race.  The paddock was open and I got several good photos of Jan for possible later use.  The race had 21 starters.  A Norwegian driver finished first, with Magnussen second and the first for the Danish Championship.  The second and third races were for various GT classes, the first for 3-4-4B; the second for 1-2-GTF.  They had 24 and 14 starters respectively.  Race four was for a very interesting formula called Seven Racing/Syver Race.  Not sure what that means, but they were small cars without roofs but with roll cages.  I jokingly called them Fjord Focus Midgets.  There were 13 cars in that race.  During that one, there was a brief but quite hard shower.  The last group was the race for the DS3 Cup, and there were only seven of those.

      We headed out at that time as he had to drive back to the airport near Oslo and had a 6:30 a.m. flight to start our 16 hour trip home.  On the way back to Oslo, Roland and I planned the next dozen new countries we would visit together.  Looks like there will be some amazing TrackChasing adventures ahead for the kid from the row home in downtown Allentown.

      As Pam and I headed back to North America, Roland headed back to his native Belgium to work.  Although his official retirement date is July 31, this week, tomorrow in fact, will be his final actual day of work save a retirement celebration luncheon next month.  Congratulations go out to Roland on his retirement from the national bank.  Hopefully, Roland will set off on another TrackChasing adventure this week, to North America.  Mike and I have our own TrackChasing trip planned this coming weekend, meeting up with pal Dave Garrison in Memphis on Sunday for the USAC Silver Crown race.  Hopefully we will be able to find a couple of interesting tracks to visit along the way.  I have a good feeling about the weekend, because Dave said he's feeling lucky this week.

      2014 Guy & Pam Smith Summary

      2014 New Tracks--Guy 21 / Pam 14     (Goal 50)
      2014 Events--Guy 33 (2 tracks at Salem, 3 at Toledo, 2 at Skyline) / Pam 23
      2014 Total Tracks--Guy 36 (2 shows at Sun Bank Arena) / Pam 25
      2014 New Rinks--Guy 7 / Pam 7     (Goal 7)
      2014 New Ballparks--Guy 5 / Pam 6     (Goal 13 for Pam)

    • colin herridge
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 25 5:29 AM
        the cars you saw are almost certainly caterhams very similar to the lotus7

        ------------------------------

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25 6:10 AM
          Colin:

          I never heard of Caterhams before, but I Googled the term and found pictures.  That's what they were all right.  I liked them.

          the cars you saw are almost certainly caterhams very similar to the lotus7

        • Bruce Eckel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25 6:44 AM
            Congratulations to Roland on his retirement.  Hope many new trips are planned to see new tracks in your future.  The best to you in your retirement years.

            Bruce and Pat

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 25 6:45 AM
              Fjord Focus Midgets!!!!!   OHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  Actually not a bad one, Guy.  Thanks for the laugh.

              Bruce