Four new tracks

  • dalezoom
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2014

      Hello trackchasers,

      I’m sitting in the rest area on I476 waiting to see if Kutztown would beat the odds tonight. No such luck.

      I have taken this week off a bunch of times to attend the Victoria Day show at Merrittville but always leaked out. Not this year.

      After working Friday night, I started driving and headed to the Hamilton area for Flamboro Speedway. I think there were seven late models, about the same number of pure stocks and 15 mini-stocks but thankfully the Canadian Vintage Modifieds (16) were a special attraction. There were only a couple of hundred people in the stands. It must have rained heavily there recently because there was a pond in the parking lot, and it was cold and looked like it might rain again but it cleared a bit later and the show ran off quickly, ending about 9:30.

      There wasn’t much passing in the modifieds, but they are neat to see.

      On Sunday, I got up early and headed to Canadian Tire Motorsports Park. I saw two morning races, one in which Civic Sis held off Mazda Miatas and one for Porsche 914s, from various parts of the course. A pretty nice course, I think. The main event was the NASCAR Canadian Tour, which I watched from a couple of spots near my car. The race was nearing its end and making pretty good time when some guy oiled down about half the course and caused about a half-hour red flag. I stayed until the end, though nothing changed and J.R. Fitzpatrick won.

      After that race, I headed to Sunset International Speedway north of Toronto. It had rained in Toronto, but it cleared as I headed north. I arrived about 15 minutes before the 6 p.m. race time but missed the first half of the first TQ heat because there was a long ticket line. They show drew 19 TQs and about 16 or so OSCAAR super lates and modifieds. The LMs and mods not only were divided into three heats, but then all the cars were shuffled and ran a second group of heats. The TQs ran two heats and an unneeded B. There was some passing in the TQ featch, which was won by Rob Neely. Hanley (is the first name Jeff?) got to the front and won the LM main. The show finished about 10:30 on another cold night.

      Victoria Day was Merrittville for the DIRT 358s. The show drew 32 mods and about 16 Hoosier stocks plus 30-some enduro cars that I didn’t stay to watch. The racing was very good. Danny Johnson, a fter arriving after hot laps, started 16th and won the mod feature. Despite a rain delay of about 30 minutes, the mod feature was over before 10.

      On Tuesday, I went to Thunder Mountain, NY, a track I had been to once before. I can say the race drew an incredible turnout of mods (73, including top dogs from all over) and was pushed along (there was rain in the area and it sprinkled through most of the heats). But it was just incredibly dusty and there was little passing up front. Matt Sheppard, driving the No 357 car, won from the front row. When most of the big crowd seemed to be staying for the sportsman (26 cars), I headed out, knowing it was going to take a while to get out of that joint.

      I was going to stay in the Northeast for this coming weekend, but the forecast isn’t good, so I’m thinking of heading south. We’ll see, I guess.

      Dale O.

      Ontario

      Canadian Tire Motorsports Park paved road course 5-18-2014

      Flamboro Speedway paved oval 5-17-2014

      Merrittville Speedway dirt oval 5-19-2014

      Sunset International Speedway paved oval 5-18-2014

    • Bruce Eckel
      Message 2 of 6 , May 21, 2014

        Dale,

        I was at Thunder Mountain also.  It was the dustiest track I have been to in 50 years of attending the races.  Sorry I didn't see you there but it was difficult to see anything there.  Poorest excuse I ever saw for a dirt racing surface.  We were all filthy and if you log onto www.southjerseydirtracing.com and go to message board check out "t mountain lol".  We all looked like coal miners after a good day's work.  What a shithole!!  I would never go back.

        Bruce

        Message 3 of 6 , May 21, 2014
          I was also at Thunder Mountain on Tuesday and I agree that the dust was horrible. The first part of the race some drivers moved up but up front there wasn't much going on. I can think of a couple if races that were worse but not many.

          --
          Edward M. Corrado

          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2014
            Bruce and Edward

            Sorry i didn't run into you guys at Thunder Mountain, but I'm glad I have someone backing up my story,

            Two other things that stick out. First, when I arrived I thought a lot of the fans looked like their clothes were dirty. I thought, this crowd looks more like a crowd you might see at a Southern backwoods track. (i hope I'm not offending anyone.) But I concluded afterward that the local people just probably wear the same stuff there every week instead of ruining something else.

            Secondly, every other Wednesday, Jack Erdmann and I and two other longtime race fans get together for lunch. One of them works at Procter and Gamble paper mill and the company actually encourages workers to take home safety equipment, so he brought us a bunch of stuff to choose from. I took a bunch of ear plugs, which I sometimes use, and some heavy duty safety goggles that I keep in the car. I walked to the car and got those goggles after hot laps and they at least allowed me to face the track.

            Dale

          • snakeyk1usa
            Message 5 of 6 , May 21, 2014
              Jeff and I went last week and it was terrible too Mike K
            • Brian
              Message 6 of 6 , May 22, 2014
                We went there in 2009 and it was a giant dust bowl.