2014 TrackChasing Report #15--Evansville MX Park, PA

    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2014
      TrackChasers:

      On Friday evening after work Pam and I had a plan of Big Diamond with a backup plan of Linda's, but they were both rained out.

      On Saturday afternoon Pam, Virginia Schuler, and myself headed to the Evansville MX Park in Berwick, PA for their first ever figure-8 stock car race.  Joining us were fellow TrackChasers Mike Knappenberger, Jeff Sands, Edward Corrado, Rick Schneider, Will White, Russ Currie, Pat Eckel, Bruce Eckel, Bing Metz, Paul Weisel, and Gordy Killian.

      In addition to the F8 racing there were both big car and small car demo derbies scheduled.  There was no official starting time listed, but the driver's meeting was scheduled for 3:00, with the racing to follow.  During the week, we learned that all the F8 racing would come first.

      Admission was $12 and a smallish or fair crowd was on hand.  Not sure what they were expecting.  There were 11 cars entered for the F8 racing, which I thought was decent for the first time but at the drivers meeting said was less than expected.

      They announced the driver's meeting would be at 3:30, which already put them a half hour behind the posted time.  At 3:30, they made the "first call" for the meeting.

      The F8 track was pretty small, and was temporary in nature with two tires positioned at either end to race around.  At the meeting, which Paul and I attended, at first they said there would be a single F8 feature with all 11 cars for 25 laps.  Several drivers balked and were ready to load up, correctly pointing out that the track was too small for that many cars.  At first the promoter proposed to split the field and purse in half, but to the credit of the management, they listened to the drivers advice and changed the format to have two heats of eight laps, with six and five cars, qualifying the top three.  Then after a short break there would be a 12 lap feature paying $300 to win.  With only three races total, Russ Currie commented that there definitely should have been a consie that transferred the winner as well.  I agree with Russ as you don't get much track time if you were one of the five that didn't make the feature, just eight laps total for your trouble and money.

      I watched from the top row of the small grandstand bleachers.  The F8 track was pretty far from the stands, with some of the motocross track in between.  Some others watched from the fence at ground level but much closer to the track.  The race part of the show, three races, lasted less than an hour, and we were on our way out around 5:00.  This was my 200th track in Pennsylvania.

      I thought they did pretty good for their first attempt at car racing.  With only six cars in the feature, 11 entries was plenty.  They didn't have any dirt in the tires that acted as the inside of the turns, and they learned from that mistake and filled them with dirt for the features.  This was the first of four scheduled F8 races there, with the next one planned for August 16.

      As we had all-day plans for Sunday we did not go to a second race on Saturday night, and headed for home after Evansville.

      Pam and I are now trying to reach 100 ballparks this year, which means we need 13 new teams.  That will take some doing, which is why we have adopted "Baseball Sunday" for 2014.  This was our third Baseball Sunday already, and we headed for Maryland for the second week in a row, this time to see the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs.  A great weekend with a new track and a new ballpark not that far from home.

      Our plan for Memorial Day weekend is pretty much like last weekend, one new track and one new ballpark, but this time we have an extra day to drive home.  The destination is Tennessee, with the track being Tazewell Speedway and the ballpark being the home of the Chattanooga Lookouts.

      2014 Guy & Pam Smith Summary

      2014 New Tracks--Guy 14 / Pam 5     (Goal 50)
      2014 Events--Guy 24 (2 tracks at Salem) / Pam 12
      2014 Total Tracks--Guy 24 (2 shows at Sun Bank Arena) / Pam 11
      2014 New Rinks--Guy 7 / Pam 7     (Goal 7)
      2014 New Ballparks--Guy 3 / Pam 3     (Goal 13)
      2014 Additional New Non TC Tracks--Guy 1 / Pam N/A

      Message 2 of 3 , May 20, 2014
        Note:  Report #25, not #15.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2014

          We all lost a true legend on Monday, Jack Brabham, one of the pioneers of racing history, PJ