track names

  • rpmgordy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2014
      Guy,

           I just saw that the track in McCook, NE is now called Red Willow County Speedway. Trying to assign one, common name to every track in your data base may be your most formidable task yet. Good luck.

      Gordy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2014
        Gordy:

        You misinterpret the project that I am working on.  I am not trying to assign a common name to every track.  I am just giving them complete names (as well as eliminating references to surface, type, or specific size in the track name unless it is actually part of the name).  For example, for the track in Delmar, DE; on some track lists it might say "US 13", others others" "US 13 Speedway".   Some might say "Delware Int, "DE International" or "Delaware International".  I am working to give them the complete names of "US 13 Speedway" and "Delaware International Speedway" for all that have visited.  Both have the same ID number of 36301a and I can sort the database so that all are grouped together to do the editing.

        Individual track lists still would reflect the basic name of the track when that particular person visited.  If any names stray too far from what anyone really wants to be displayed during the process, I can change it upon request.

        Again, the hope is for a complete name and accurate, not a common name for the same tracks.

             I just saw that the track in McCook, NE is now called Red Willow County Speedway. Trying to assign one, common name to every track in your data base may be your most formidable task yet. Good luck.

        Gordy

      • colin herridge

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2014
            Colin:

            What I can do is keep the track name as Brafield Stadium (I assume that is the name when you attended), and then in the "Notes" column  for that track entry on your track list add" aka Northampton International Raceway, Pr1mo International Raceway".

            That way anyone looking at your track list that was only familiar with one of the other names would still be able to tell that when you attended the track it was known as Brafield Stadium, but it is the same track that they know as Northampton International, etc.

            If you (or anyone) have been to tracks that you would like an additional "also known as" listed with a particular track or tracks, that is not a problem.  The "Notes" section was added in 2011 to be able to allow anyone the option to add additional information to make their track list more complete, useful, and understandable.

            You have not submitted any Notes as of yet, but you are welcome to do so at any time and I will gladly add them to your track list.  An "aka" for your tracks would be a perfectly good use of that column.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 15, 2014
                In a message dated 1/15/2014 2:03:22 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, RTRYFBAR@... writes:

                Gordy:

                You misinterpret the project that I am working on.  I am not trying to assign a common name to every track.  I am just giving them complete names (as well as eliminating references to surface, type, or specific size in the track name unless it is actually part of the name).  For example, for the track in Delmar, DE; on some track lists it might say "US 13", others others" "US 13 Speedway".   Some might say "Delware Int, "DE International" or "Delaware International".  I am working to give them the complete names of "US
                Guy,

                     I did totally misinterpret your project. Thank you for clearing my vision of same. Accuracy is always a good step toward clarity.

                Gordy